Top Player for NFL Teams in past 100 years

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
yeah, reggie white ... so what?

remind me where he spent almost as many years, and where his super bowl ring is from?

He was only in GB for 6 years, and wasn’t nearly as good. 124 sacks in 8 years in Philly (!), only 68.5 in GB.

Do you consider Priest Holmes a Raven because he won a ring there? Demarcus Ware a Bronco or Keenan Mccardell a Buccaneer? Of course not.

Besides, why does what he did in Green Bay detract in any way from what he did in Philly? If Tom Brady decides to play until 50 and he gets traded to the Lions and wins 8 more Super Bowls, is he no longer the best Patriot ever? That’s stupid logic.

Brian Dawkins was great, but he doesn’t hold a candle to the greatest DE who ever lived. And he most certainly didn’t get that reputation for his 68.5 sacks in GB. He was the biggest free agent of alltime for what he already had done in Philly.

Pape

Reaction score
He was only in GB for 6 years, and wasn’t nearly as good. 124 sacks in 8 years in Philly (!), only 68.5 in GB.

Do you consider Priest Holmes a Raven because he won a ring there? Demarcus Ware a Bronco or Keenan Mccardell a Buccaneer? Of course not.

Besides, why does what he did in Green Bay detract in any way from what he did in Philly? If Tom Brady decides to play until 50 and he gets traded to the Lions and wins 8 more Super Bowls, is he no longer the best Patriot ever? That’s stupid logic.

Brian Dawkins was great, but he doesn’t hold a candle to the greatest DE who ever lived. And he most certainly didn’t get that reputation for his 68.5 sacks in GB. He was the biggest free agent of alltime for what he already had done in Philly.
It boils down to this... If I could cherry pick one eagle player, it would be Dawkins... Ymmv... Feel free to make your own list that has Reggie on it

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Saints-Is it Archie Manning: No, it's Drew Brees by a mile
Colts-Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning: legit question
Vikings-Adrian Peterson?: Probably Carl Eller, maybe John Randle
Seattle-Jim Zorn?: What? Are you serious? Walter Jones or literally any player from the 2013 defense
LA Rams-Rosey Grier?: Marshal Faulk. But he was only a St. Louis Ram, so we'll go with Eric Dickerson
Giants? I have no idea: Lawrence Taylor
Commanders-Sonny Jurguson: Possibly. I think most skins fans would say Darrell Green...unless they are like 30 years or younger. Then they'll likley say Sean Taylor

I agree with Brees.
Johnny Unitas for Colts, for me.
Randle probably but I'd probably go with Marshall and not Eller.
I think we are watching that player right now for Seattle in Russell Wilson.
I would say Decon Jones for the Rams but I could easily see Dickerson there as well.
I think it's LT for the Giants as well but I think you make a case for Frank Gifford as well.
Skins are Slinging Sammy Baugh hands down but Darrell Green would definitely be 2nd to me.

Flamma

Reaction score
No one even gave Seattle's Steve Largent a vote? As of right now I'd go with him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I read an article today where Walter Payton was named the greatest player in the past 100 years for the Bears. It got me thinking who is the best one player for other teams. These are some that came to my head but I am not sure how they would measure up to others.

Packers-this would be between Don Hutson, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers but think Hutson gets the nod because he was 30 years ahead of this time

Cowboys-so many great players but who was THE best-Roger Staubach is my thought

Some are easy

New York Jets-Joe Namath
Patriots-Brady
Dolphins Dan Marino
Denver-Elway

Some are not so easy

Saints-Is it Archie Manning
Colts-Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning
Vikings-Adrian Peterson?
Seattle-Jim Zorn?
LA Rams-Rosey Grier?
Giants? I have no idea
Commanders-Sonny Jurguson

Not as easy as it looks.

The Vikings are another no-brainer: Fran Tarkenton. He was basically another Roger Staubach, but smaller and more elusive. Like Staubach, he made miracles out of busted plays.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I'm bored so what the heck, let's do this.
  1. Patriots - Tom Brady
  2. Dolphins - Dan Marino
  3. Bills - Jim Kelly
  4. Jets - Don Maynard
  5. Ravens - Ray Lewis
  6. Steelers - Joe Greene
  7. Browns - Jim Brown
  8. Bengals - Anthony Munoz
  9. Texans - J.J. Watt
  10. Colts - Johnny Unitas
  11. Oilers/Titans - Bruce Matthews
  12. Jaguars - Tony Boselli
  13. Chiefs - Will Shields
  14. Chargers - Junior Seau
  15. Broncos - John Elway
  16. Raiders - Gene Upshaw
  17. Cowboys - Roger Staubach
  18. Eagles - Reggie White
  19. Commanders - Sammy Baugh
  20. Giants - Lawrence Taylor
  21. Bears - Walter Payton
  22. Vikings - Fran Tarkenton
  23. Packers - Brett Favre
  24. Lions - Barry Sanders
  25. Saints - Drew Brees
  26. Panthers - Steve Smith
  27. Falcons - Matt Ryan
  28. Buccaneers - Derrick Brooks
  29. Rams - Merlin Olsen
  30. Seahawks - Walter Jones
  31. 49ers - Jerry Rice
  32. Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald

Johnny23

Reaction score
I read an article today where Walter Payton was named the greatest player in the past 100 years for the Bears. It got me thinking who is the best one player for other teams. These are some that came to my head but I am not sure how they would measure up to others.

Packers-this would be between Don Hutson, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers but think Hutson gets the nod because he was 30 years ahead of this time

Cowboys-so many great players but who was THE best-Roger Staubach is my thought

Some are easy

New York Jets-Joe Namath
Patriots-Brady
Dolphins Dan Marino
Denver-Elway

Some are not so easy

Saints-Is it Archie Manning
Colts-Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning
Vikings-Adrian Peterson?
Seattle-Jim Zorn?
LA Rams-Rosey Grier?
Giants? I have no idea
Commanders-Sonny Jurguson

Not as easy as it looks.
Jim Zorn.. Sir, Steve Largent is the greatest Seahawks player of all time.

Johnny23

Reaction score
It boils down to this... If I could cherry pick one eagle player, it would be Dawkins... Ymmv... Feel free to make your own list that has Reggie on it
Reggie is better and he did play for them before wising up and leaving that hellhole.

Pape

Reaction score
Reggie is better and he did play for them before wising up and leaving that hellhole.
could be, probably is, doesn't matter though, its only my opinion...Dawkins spent 13 years in philly, was a 7x pro bowler, 4x all pro... think there is something to longevity, and he basically lapped reggies years in philly... when i think of the eagles, that's who i think of... the only way i really think about reggie, was him leaving the eagles... as I told aero, feel free to make a list with reggie in there for the iggles... i won't complain.

Johnny23

Reaction score
could be, probably is, doesn't matter though, its only my opinion...Dawkins spent 13 years in philly, was a 7x pro bowler, 4x all pro... think there is something to longevity, and he basically lapped reggies years in philly... when i think of the eagles, that's who i think of... the only way i really think about reggie, was him leaving the eagles... as I told aero, feel free to make a list with reggie in there for the iggles... i won't complain.
I respect it. I think of him as an Eagle before being a Packer. Like alot of people have Farve as the best Packer you could make a strong case for Reggie. Because of how damn good he was. I totally see where you are coming from though.

revospeed

Reaction score
AFC East

Dolphins: Dan Marino
Patriots: Tom Brady
Jets: Darrelle Revis (over Namath. Namath was never the best QB in the league. Revis was the best CB for several years.)
Bills: OJ Simpson

AFC North:

Steelers: Joe Greene
Browns: Jim Brown
Ravens: Ed Reed (over Ray Lewis. Reed was too dynamic.)
Bengals: Anthony Munoz

AFC South:

Colts: Peyton Manning
Titans: Bruce Matthews
Jaguars: Jimmy Smith
Texas: JJ Watt

AFC West:

Chiefs: Tony Gonzalez (Derrick Thomas is so close)
Chargers: Junior Seau
Broncos: John Elway
Raiders: Gene Upshaw

NFC East:

Cowboys: Emmitt Smith
Giants: Lawrence Taylor
Eagles: Reggie White
Commanders: Sammy Baugh

NFC North:

Bears: Walter Payton
Packers: Brett Favre
Lions: Barry Sanders
Vikings: Adrian Peterson

NFC South:

Saints: Drew Brees
Buccaneers: Derrick Brooks
Panthers: Steve Smith
Falcons: Deion Sanders

NFC West:

Rams: Eric Dickerson
Cardinals: Larry Wilson/Fitzgerald
49ers: Jerry Rice
Seahawks: Walter Jones

Johnny23

Reaction score
Giving love to the St. Louis Cardinals with Larry Wilson love it. Aeneas Williams gets a very honorable mention.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
random picks...
NFC
bears...Walter Payton
rams...deacon jones
vikings...jim marshall
49ers...joe montana
seattle...ken easley
cardinals...larry fitzgerald
lions...barry sanders
packers...Herb Adderly
tampa bay...lee roy selmon
saints...drew brees
falcons...tommy nobis
49ers should be Jerry Rice.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Unitas over Peyton Manning 100 times out of 100. Unitas held every passing record in existence when he retired, too - but won twice as many championships in the process, wasn't an alleged PED cheat, and didn't have the defensive rules changed in his favor because his owner whined about it to the competition committee.
when JOhnny U played, what did they have, like 6 teams in the NFL. Winning titles was clearly easier back then. You think we will ever see another Yankees run? A Boston Celtics Run? there is a reason those runs happened a LONG time ago. That stuff isnt happening today.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
quick list... i didnt read the article, so these are my best guesses... ymmv ... let me know what you agree/disagree with...

Patriots: Tom Brady
Bills: OJ Simpson
Dolphins: Dan Marino
Jets: Don Maynard

Bengals: Anthony Munoz
Browns: Jim Brown
Ravens: Ray Lewis
Steelers: "Mean" Joe Greene

Colts: Peyton Manning
Jaguars: Jimmy Smith
Texans: JJ Watt
Titans (Oilers): Earl Campbell

Broncos: John Elway
Chargers: Jr Seau
Chiefs: Tony Gonzales
Raiders: Fred Biletnikoff

Cowboys: Roger Staubach
Eagles: Darrel Dawkins
Giants: Lawrence Taylor
Commanders: Darrell Green

Bears: Walter Payton
Lions: Barry Sanders
Packers: Bart Starr
Vikings: Fran Tarkenton

Buccaneers: Warren Sapp
Falcons: Matt Ryan
Panthers: Cam Newton
Saints: Drew Brees

Cardinals: Larry Fitxgerald
49ers: Joe Montana
Rams: Eric Dickerson
Seahawks: Russell Wilson

Dawkins.... yeah, I remember Chocolate Thnder breaking backbords.... dont ever remember him sacking QBs.....lol

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
In 1945, Sammy Baugh had a 109.9 passer rating when the league average was 47.6