Tough to knock Dak's contract now

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You don't need to pay a "quality QB" massive contracts to get it done - which is why Eli Manning and Flacco won Super Bowls before their massive contracts, or Nick Foles, or the corpse of Peyton Manning "lol". It takes a quality team with elite players at other positions to win a Super Bowl - you don't win a Super Bowl just because of the QB and his massive contract - which is why Rodgers hasn't won one since 2010, why Brees had 1 Super Bowl throughout his career, which is why Peyton Manning couldn't win more than two despite being a legendary QB and only won one when Elway destroyed the Broncos cap in a "win now" mode, why Wilson couldn't do crap after the legion of boom fell.

But we're sitting here thinking Dak freakin' Prescott and Kyler Murray with their massive contracts can do what players like Rodgers and Brees couldn't do? Spare me.

Massive QB contracts weren’t the going rate when Eli Manning and Joe Flacco won Super Bowls. Nick Foles was a backup QB when he won a Super Bowl. You need to open your eyes and realize that times have changed and massive QB deals have become the norm.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know this is a Dak contract thread, but i would like to draft a capable backup in 3rd-4th round next year. here are some names i think will might available.

Jaren Hall BYU QB 6'1" 205 JR
Will Levis Kentucky QB 6'3" 232 RSR
D.J. Uiagalelei Clemson QB 6'4" 250 JR
I think we should always be drafting QB’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol not tough to knock it at all. he’s still overpaid yes, and we’re in year 3 of a 4 year deal so will not have much opportunity to revel in the fact that a handful of guys are now making more.

should’ve absolutely signed him for less, longer, and sooner. played it as poorly as possible
We had an opportunity to sign him for less when Wilson was top paid. But Jethro wasn’t ready to make Dak highest paid at 35 million.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you are assuming that fans have to have logical reasons to knock Dak's contract. He could be the 32nd highest-paid QB and some fans would still think he's being paid too much.
Yea, they thought he suked on Rookie contract. His new contract just provides a talking point.

We couldn’t build a better defense then with much space on Cap and still struggling to when his Cap his was 17 mil last year and 19 mil this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speak for yourself, the Toad Hunter in Dallas isn't worth the rich contract he signed.
Where are we without it? Depending on this dysfunctional ownership to draft or find another QB? Good luck with that. Like 1st rounds picks Lynch or Manziel .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You seem so pleased with the last 26 years of average so tell us all about how a average/above average QB has benefited the team and how with all the resources allocated to the O to prop up the average QB the last few years justifies your views. Don’t want a whining fest about the GM just how that QB helped.
How about this for starters. Remember Jethro’s priorities .
A5SpADp.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, but that I believe he would have only signed for 3 or 4 years. By waiting, Jerry got the 5 year deal he wanted. You have to figure Dak will be getting 50 million at least on the next one.
I thought it was 160 mil 4 year deal? Right

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I want. To be a bottom feeder. I sit here week after week ripping Jerry for a crap run for 25 years but what my real motivation here is that I want Dallas to have another 25 year crap run. LOL.
Perhaps that scenario doesn’t fit you but I’d argue without Jethro lucking out with Romo and Dak this era we’d of had more of a 4-6 win teams like Campo 5-11 Funk or years when Romo and Dak were out.

With our dysfunctional ownership using 1st round picks on Lynch and Manziel we’d of been more like Cleveland .

Has it brought championships? No, but I wouldn’t blame it on these QB’s. As a matter of fact without them it would be more bottom dwelling in case you didn’t get my point.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
We had an opportunity to sign him for less when Wilson was top paid. But Jethro wasn’t ready to make Dak highest paid at 35 million.
This is not true. Dak turned down a 35/yr, five year offer because he wanted a four year deal. Which, by the way, was unprecedented. Previously, nobody had signed a starting caliber QB to a deal that didn't have at least five years under contract to use for cap purposes.

If you insist on trolling the forum at least try and keep it somewhat real.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, teams shouldn't sign QBs to massive deals if they can't/don't believe they can deliver high level success. It's bad business to pay a crap ton of money to a QB who is just a good QB not a great one just because at that moment, he's the best option you have.

Now note, I am not saying that Dak is a total waste of a contract. I don't know at this point. But arguing Dak's contract is really good because someone got paid more than him is bizarre logic. I mean is Elliott's contract now better if someone pays a TB more than him next offseason? Of course not.
Then all of these teams are conducting bad business. Obviously there’s more at stake than just holding out for one of these top 5 Elite QB’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is not true. Dak turned down a 35/yr, five year offer because he wanted a four year deal. Which, by the way, was unprecedented. Previously, nobody had signed a starting caliber QB to a deal that didn't have at least five years under contract to use for cap purposes.

If you insist on trolling the forum at least try and keep it somewhat real.
Why didn’t Jethro make it happen for 4 years. That’s what I’d call an opportunity.

In the end 4 years is what he had to do anyway. And for much more. I’d call that mismanaged.

And Dak trolls can’t handle the truth.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Why didn’t Jethro make it happen for 4 years. That’s what I’d call an opportunity.

In the end 4 years is what he had to do anyway. And for much more. I’d call that mismanaged.
So you admit you were completely wrong about Jerry?

For the same reason nobody does it. Typically a contract is negotiated with at least a year remaining on the existing contract. This allows the team to use that year to spread the signing bonus into making it easier to manage the remaining years of the contract. Jerry tried to do just that AND give him the highest annual salary. Dak played hardball and Jerry caved.

This simple stuff will make more sense to you next year when they have to "restructure" to avoid the 50ish million dollar cap hit coming due.

Dak is going to be on the books for quite some time. He is no less greedy than Zeke is given credit for. He just doesn't get the same criticism.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you admit you were completely wrong about Jerry?

For the same reason nobody does it. Typically a contract is negotiated with at least a year remaining on the existing contract. This allows the team to use that year to spread the signing bonus into making it easier to manage the remaining years of the contract. Jerry tried to do just that AND give him the highest annual salary. Dak played hardball and Jerry caved.

This simple stuff will make more sense to you next year when they have to "restructure" to avoid the 50ish million dollar cap hit coming due.

Dak is going to be on the books for quite some time. He is no less greedy than Zeke is given credit for. He just doesn't get the same criticism.
Not at all . Jethro could have offered the 4 years back then. That’s where he eventually ended up. It cost him as a result.

And I agree they’ll be looking to restructure next year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lmao tell us about all those championship games and SBs he has contributed to. His production reflects level of competition to this point in his career.
:laugh: welcome to the extreme Dak lover representative, that starts all his responses with DURRRRRRRRR, but constantly calls everyone out for IQ.
Can't make this stuff up.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The amount of people that think paying market value for good QB play is a waste of money is laughable. To put it simply, you need a QB to win and ours is good enough that we have been in the playoffs/ in the hunt every season he has been here and healthy.

There are only like 5 QBs that you can consider "elite", then about 10 that are good enough to win with if you have the right roster (this is where Dak sits), and then approximately 300 feet of garbage. If we hadn't resigned Dak and been stuck in QB hell for the next 5 seasons everyone would have been ripping Jerry for not wanting to win.

Dak just happened to need resigned right at the beginning of a large QB market reset so he vaulted to the top briefly and then the rest of the gang caught up in short order. This is how salary cap economics work.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dude, who is highest paid means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matter is your cap hit. That's it. Dak right now is one of the worst going forward. Mainly because they have been pushing money forward.

In many cases, like Garoppolo or Carr, their contracts were huge at first, then seemed better as the years went on. But that's not the case with Dak. They keep pushing his money further making his cap hit bigger as the years go on.

His cap hits are fine now. But we're not winning. He's going to be big cap hits going forward. Dak's cap hits right now are not going to be team friendly. And it doesn't matter where he is on the top paid players list. All that matters is his cap hits, and how it affects the team. You're just throwing up a statistic, although true, doesn't accurately show the impact he truly has on the team and it's cap. It's just a statistic.
exactly.
Also the % of the cap that goes to the one guy the qb has to be considered. Also dead money if and when a team parts ways with him.
I think cleveland and cards just overpaid for their qb's, but now we have to wait and see if those 2 teams can get to or win a SB.
If so it will be worth it, if not the deals are big busts.

Same is true for dak, have to wait and see what results are going forward to judge his contract.

However you dont need a great qb if you can build a great defense. Dallas has a shot at doing that, if they do or not remains to be seen.
It takes more than a good qb to go to SB or win SB.
Coaching, defense,the other Off players all factor into that.

I think the best way is to build a great defense, and have a good but cheap QB, and good OL, 3 good wr.
And to have superior coaching.

Dallas coaching is Meh lol, OL is a ?, Defense is a maybe, and 3 good wr is a maybe, dak is good qb, but isnt cheap, and also I guess
having a good kicker and punter and ST is also part of the formula.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jerry should have paid him earlier. Would have saved the Cowboys money.
Jerry kills me with his negotiation strategy. Talk tough, then roll over on his belly and pay up. :laugh:
See Zeke and Dak.