News: TPI: The Eagles are getting close to trading Carson Wentz, sources say

Creeper

Reaction score
But what happened to CAP HELL???

Next time anyone tells you a players contract destroys said teams Cap :facepalm: since the last to collective bargaining agreement the Owners have protected themselves....not getting deals is either cheap owner or Lazy GM...

According to Over-the-cap the Eagles are $53 million over the 2021 CAP, $43 million if the CAP is $185 million instead of $175 million. If they trade Wentz, they take a $33 million dead CAP hit but his CAP value in 2021 is $34 million so they get a net save of over $800,000 in 2021. Trading him actually is a huge benefit in 2022-2024 when he would be off the books completely. But they still have at least $43 million in other CAP saves to find. There are only 2 players on their roster that give them significant CAP saves but cutting them after June 1, and that is Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham. Cutting the both of them saves $29 million.

But with Wentz off the books they have room to restructure guys lowering their 2021 CAP impact and pushing it into 2022 when the CAP is expected to go back to where it was, or higher. I don't see the Eagles being big players in free agency, but if they get 2 first round picks for Wentz and then some, they could fill in some holes in the draft. They already have the 6th pick in the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd rather keep my 1st rounders and Tribusky then

Next time anyone tells you a players contract destroys said teams Cap :facepalm: since the last to collective bargaining agreement the Owners have protected themselves....not getting deals is either cheap owner or Lazy GM...
I told @aria cap hell was a myth and he looked at me crazy....I keep trying to tell people man cap hell is not what guys think it is.

aria

Reaction score

I told @aria cap hell was a myth and he looked at me crazy....I keep trying to tell people man cap hell is not what guys think it is.
Since you said it and a few other people agreed it’s gotta be true! As usual though, thanks for thinking of me.

Loso86

Reaction score
They certainly seem to be the only ones willing to overpay for a benched, damaged-goods quarterback.
Indeed lol smh, rumor is that Foles will be going back to philly again so maybe we should worry about him more lol

aikemirv

Reaction score

So Philly wins the Super Bowl in 2018, sign Wentz to extension in 2019 and have gone downhill ever since........

Sydla

Reaction score

So Philly, for example, will be fine and be able to keep their current roster and/or add some really good FAs?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So Philly, for example, will be fine and be able to keep their current roster and/or add some really good FAs?

They are fine to me because I fail to see anyone even worth keeping aside from guys like Miles Sanders, Goedert and Hurts.......so if Desean Jackson, Carson Wentz, Alshon Jeffrey's, etc. are cap casualties? So be it.To me cap hell would be if they had these plethora of weapons they needed to pay and try and keep. But they don't.

Reaction score
Here is the latest I have heard from a very good source: Wentz to Chicago, Philly gets Foles, 1st, 5th or a player.

Creeper

Reaction score
They are fine to me because I fail to see anyone even worth keeping aside from guys like Miles Sanders, Goedert and Hurts.......so if Desean Jackson, Carson Wentz, Alshon Jeffrey's, etc. are cap casualties? So be it.To me cap hell would be if they had these plethora of weapons they needed to pay and try and keep. But they don't.

So let's say they trade Wentz as rumored, and then cut Jackson and Jeffery, which I think is a good bet. That is a total of $11.3 million in CAP saves, assuming Jackson and Jeffery are designated June 1 cuts. But the Eagles are at least $43 million over the CAP. They need to find$32 million more to get under the CAP then have a rookie pool (and if they get multiple 1st round picks for Wentz that pool will have to be a bigger).

The good news is most of their top players are signed for 2021.

As I said earlier, trading Wentz and taking his contracts as dead CAP money in 2021, frees up over $30 million in 2022. The CAP should also go back up over $200 million then too. This means the Eagles can easily restructure contracts pushing their cap problem out to 2022.

The problem for them is really whether or not Hurts is going to actually be a good NFL QB. I would not be surprised if the Eagles, with multiple first round picks, take a QB in the first round.

I would also not be surprised if a player like Zach Ertz is traded or cut.

Creeper

Reaction score

I am not sure what you think CAP hell is, I call it CAP jail, but when a team has to let players go because they have no room to sign them, and then they replace those players with cheaper alternatives making the team weaker, that is CAP jail. The Cowboys were in CAP jail a few years ago when they had to eat certain big contracts and saw a bunch of their own free agents leave. They are in CAP jail now, if they have to franchise Dak. All this means is they will not have the CAP room to make any significant free agent moves.

With Tampa Bay winning the Super Bowl, and they are a team made up of a lot of free agent acquisitions, I think it is pretty obvious that teams that spend in free agency have an advantage over teams that don't. The Cowboys are not big players in free agency by choice. This, to me, is the biggest reason they have failed to be consistent winners.

blueblood70

Reaction score
talking this deeply about the eagles is sickening.,.ughh

eagle green

tenor.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is the latest I have heard from a very good source: Wentz to Chicago, Philly gets Foles, 1st, 5th or a player.

A friend told me that same thing. Tarik Cohen was a player name mentioned, but he was apparently assured by the coaches that he wasn't going anywhere.

I have to think that Wentz himself wants to reunite with Frank Reich and the Colts, but Indianapolis refuses to give up as much as Chicago is willing to.

And it will now come down to the Eagles pleasing Wentz or maximizing their return haul.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let's say they trade Wentz as rumored, and then cut Jackson and Jeffery, which I think is a good bet. That is a total of $11.3 million in CAP saves, assuming Jackson and Jeffery are designated June 1 cuts. But the Eagles are at least $43 million over the CAP. They need to find$32 million more to get under the CAP then have a rookie pool (and if they get multiple 1st round picks for Wentz that pool will have to be a bigger).

The good news is most of their top players are signed for 2021.

As I said earlier, trading Wentz and taking his contracts as dead CAP money in 2021, frees up over $30 million in 2022. The CAP should also go back up over $200 million then too. This means the Eagles can easily restructure contracts pushing their cap problem out to 2022.

The problem for them is really whether or not Hurts is going to actually be a good NFL QB. I would not be surprised if the Eagles, with multiple first round picks, take a QB in the first round.

I would also not be surprised if a player like Zach Ertz is traded or cut.

Maybe Ertz is included with Wentz? Either way, I agree that the Eagles will have to move on from him.