TR: The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Can you please use larger font? I can barely see this.
giphy.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have dual work monitors and keep CowboysZone open in a browser on just one. Both monitors have the same screen resolution.

So I opened the thread, saw the text, almost cussed, and checked the CowboysZone's browser zoom settings without thinking. It still said '100% zoom'.

Basically, I am admitting it took me a few seconds longer before saying D'OH! :laugh:
DE, can you please lower the font size? Sorry for that. My phone is acting up.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
what contracts are bad? Cooper they covered themselves...Dlaw is in year two and they can get out 2022 ...Zeke they can get out when he's 27...Tyron Smith is from how many years ago?

which contracts are bad? Cooper? Dlaw? Zeke? All have outs that wont cripple them way down the road. I would expect them all to be major parts of the team for a minimum next 3-4 years...then they can get out of the contracts with minimal/ manageable cost. So it's easy for writers to look at the price/ cost but not at the actual structure and conclude that the Cowboys have done what they used to do...But responsible writers , that actually dig a little deeper would see that they have been as practical as possible ,while still addressing huge corner pieces of the team. They don't mention the steal Tyron Smith's contract is right now...as well as Martin...
I agree. Just posted this article for talk.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The Cooper and Zeke contracts aren't bad at all, because there are ejection buttons in each of them after a few years with little penalty.

I'm not fond of the Demarcus Lawrence contract as it stands today, but I'm hoping he can prove me wrong with his play this season.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Not the best article, I see the premise the author started with - i.e. big salaries for a top heavy team. But yeah, didn't really do his homework. The Dallas front office has known and planed for this year for awhile now. They knew they had 2-3 big contracts to do , as well as several middle of the road contracts.
I agree they have been diligent in making sure they had plenty of resources available, this year and in future years. Im not worried in the slightest about our cap.
But.
I am somewhat disappointed in how they have squandered that cap this year.
Now, if they can finally get a deal done with Dak, and sooner rather than later, it will free up a "**** ton" of money to fill out this roster, and really fill the holes that we currently still have. If as projected Dak signs, either a 4, 5, or 6 year contract it frees up close to 20 million of dead money currently held for if he plays on the tag. Also, would soften the blow of Fredericks cap hit - as unpredicted as that was - and again, why they have been as frugal recently as they have, you just never know when things like this may pop up.
That would get us someone like Griffen, Maybe another corner, maybe another safety or WR. Thus making the draft purely BPA.
And next years draft looks like we will have a plethora of draft picks, and more money to play with. Sign Dak, Sign Poe, sign whoever the hell they need and just get on with it.
Virus permitting ….

stuckindc

Reaction score
The Cooper and Zeke contracts aren't bad at all, because there are ejection buttons in each of them after a few years with little penalty.

I'm not fond of the Demarcus Lawrence contract as it stands today, but I'm hoping he can prove me wrong with his play this season.
Agreed...The good thing is Dlaw is young so if they have to go the full 5..he will be in his prime...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
One of the links at the bottom of the article is titled:

The Six NFL Teams That Loaded Up During the First Week of Free Agency

One of the teams is the Saints. Notice the title of their section and juxtapose it to what they said about the Cowboys.

2. The Saints’ complete disregard for the salary cap is getting impressive

Pretty much tells the story of this site and their cutting edge content.

JBS

Reaction score

The Zeke deal is similar to coopers?

I know Dallas can get out of amaris deal after 2 years for 40M. That's not bad at all. It's great actually. I'm not familiar w Zekes deal

Kwyn

Reaction score
MODERATOR EDIT: The original post was created with much larger font that was later changed to smaller font.

The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

After years of getting great offensive production at a low cost, Dallas had to shell out this offseason—and it’s come at the expense of depth and defense

By Danny Heifetz Mar 26, 2020, 9:54am EDT
AmariCooperCowboys_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

There are plenty of memories from Jason Garrett’s time with the Cowboys. There was the stretch when Dallas lost a playoff spot to a division rival in the final week of the season three years in a row. Twice. Dallas had a promising season end with a devastating playoff loss to the Packers. Twice. Garrett wasted the prime years of Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, and DeMarcus Ware, and when he stumbled onto their replacements with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, and DeMarcus Lawrence, he failed to capitalize on that group’s potential too. But mostly Garrett will be remembered for the clapping, which inspired his nickname and sealed him as the emblem for the Cowboys’ failings, a real-life “this is fine” meme.

When Cowboys owner Jerry Jones finally fired Garrett in January (after a
lengthy delay), he replaced him with Mike McCarthy, the coach of those Packers teams that ripped out Dallas’s heart. McCarthy’s first words as Cowboys head coach in his introductory press conference immediately set him apart from his predecessor.

“It is great to be here,” McCarthy said. “I’m having a moment here because I don’t know where the hell to put my hands.”

The move from the Clapper to a coach who doesn’t know what to do with his hands is a perfect metaphor. In truth the Cowboys have tied one of McCarthy’s hands behind his back. Jones and his son Stephen, the pair who runs the team and makes front-office decisions, hired McCarthy to win a Super Bowl. But the Joneses are giving McCarthy many of the same stars Garrett coached while they were on cheap contracts after the Joneses have paid them top dollar. Whereas Garrett oversaw rosters teeming with talent and value, McCarthy is getting less of each and being asked to do more.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/3/26/21195155/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-amari-cooper-defense

It doesn't look pretty. Welcome more cap hell...:banghead:

What say you?

:popcorn:
This is sports journalism? Was it written three months ago?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't matter , I'm totally jacked about this season . I'm totally jacked about 2021 also,
because after 25 seasons I can finally tell DirecTV to stuff their dish where the sun don't shine
But Zeke's deal is the killer.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Actually the article is pretty funny. No where do they really address that through new TV contracts and gambling money that the cap is expected to reach over 400 million by the 7th year of the new CBA. It is just an article to try and get fans riled and very little substance at all.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think the depth issue and particularly young, talented depth is where my concern is. 3 years ago we had really nice talent on their rookie deals. That is where every team wants to be. Now with poor drafting we have two Players who fit this criteria. Gallup and LVE ( who has serious injury concerns).

We are getting back to the point where we are very top heavy. A concern since very few players who have big contracts outplay their $. Young, talented and cheap players are probably the most important assets in the league ( after a star qb] and Dallas has very little of that right now.

losing Jones and Quinn hurt us, but I would have been more upset if we signed either to big deals. But our talent base is deteriorating. The next two drafts are so important to this franchise. If they don’t have A drafts, this may be a full rebuild soon.

ESisback

Reaction score
Oh, overall, I'm with you bro, but these huge contracts lately are looking worrisome. McCarthy definitely has his work cut out for himself and his new coaching staff. Me thinks lots of contract restructuring is going to be happening.

Ugh, that "kick the can down the road" memories of the past comes to mind. Sorry, don't mean to dampen the mood. Keeping fingers crossed all works out and this new coaching staff is able to overcome any shortcomings.

It amazes me how the line between huge success and abject failure gets thinner and thinner every day.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the depth issue and particularly young, talented depth is where my concern is. 3 years ago we had really nice talent on their rookie deals. That is where every team wants to be. Now with poor drafting we have two Players who fit this criteria. Gallup and LVE ( who has serious injury concerns).

We are getting back to the point where we are very top heavy. A concern since very few players who have big contracts outplay their $. Young, talented and cheap players are probably the most important assets in the league ( after a star qb] and Dallas has very little of that right now.

losing Jones and Quinn hurt us, but I would have been more upset if we signed either to big deals. But our talent base is deteriorating. The next two drafts are so important to this franchise. If they don’t have A drafts, this may be a full rebuild soon.

Two crushing misses in recent drafts really hurt. Taco and (thus far) Hill. We haven’t had great draft success since 2016, and last year’s draft was nearly a total non-factor, save for a backup tailback.

That needs to improve and fast.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay great. So FINALLY getting rid of Red....signing a super bowl winning coach.....fairly good FA signings....and you STILL have to be a whiney aZZ beech?

Okay great. You have fun with your life. Sheesh...people. I hate them all.