Trade for O.J. Howard?

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Alright I’m getting tired of all these stacked offense adding more talent. If you think this offense can rest on last year’s laurels to win again we will be up for a huge disappointment.

TOP PRIORITY ON OFFENSE:

1. True speedy WR that runs sub 4.4 and play slot ...someone similar to Dumerviile from Texas

2. OG, can’t go into the season with Connor Williams as your starter.. you are asking for your QB to be injured and Zeke getting tackled behind line of Scrimmage constantly.

6’-5” 330 lbs

3. TE/ FB someone who can do the dirty work in run blocking / pass protection and provide hot-read outlet in the passing game.

Aven8

Reaction score
We don’t know who they like at guard yet. Philbin is an excellent pass blocking Oline coach and that’s more of Connor’s specialty. Plus they have Looney and McGovern, who the latter we haven’t even seen.

I do agree we need speed. KC was the fastest team in football.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Alright I’m getting tired of all these stacked offense adding more talent. If you think this offense can rest on last year’s laurels to win again we will be up for a huge disappointment.

TOP PRIORITY ON OFFENSE:

1. True speedy WR that runs sub 4.4 and play slot ...someone similar to Dumerviile from Texas

2. OG, can’t go into the season with Connor Williams as your starter.. you are asking for your QB to be injured and Zeke getting tackled behind line of Scrimmage constantly.

6’-5” 330 lbs

3. TE/ FB someone who can do the dirty work in run blocking / pass protection and provide hot-read outlet in the passing game.

Am I losing it or does this thread have nothing to do with the title?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
think a 4th can get it done ? Would you if so

I would not.

And I don't think the Cowboys would either.

If they wanted another TE option at a similar price, they could have signed Eric Ebron without having to trade anything for him.

They've chosen to roll with Blake Jarwin.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Hasn't played a full season and stat-wise, not exactly much better than what we have. I think he's only worth a third day pick at this point.

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
No too injury prone. A late rounder yes

Love his talent and his production when healthy and probably used. However Im not giving up a 4th for someone I cant trust to stay on the field

I always love these posts... We act like 4th round picks are gold...

Here's 2 decades worth of 4th round picks by the Dallas Cowboys

2019- Tony Pollard
2018-Dorance Armstrong Jr and Dalton Schultz
2017-Ryan Switzer
2016-Charles Tapper and Dak Prescott
2015-Damien Wilson
2014- Anthony Hitchens
2013- B.W. Webb
2012-Kyle Wilber and Matt Johnson
2011-David Arkin
2010-Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
2009-Stephen McGee and Brandon Williams
2008-Tashard Choice
2007-Isiah Stanback and Doug Free
2006- Skyler Green
2005-Marion Barber and Chris Canty
2004- Bruce Thornton
2003- Bradie James
2002- Jamar Martin
2001-Markus Steele
2000-Kareem Larrimore

So in 20 years and some with multiple selections in the 4th, we hit on Pollard, Hitchens, Dak, Barber, Canty, Free and Bradie James.

I would most certainly give up a 4th round pick for the talent level of OJ Howard and would not even look back. And when you look at skilled positions we only ever hit on Barber, Dak, and Pollard. No WR or TE amounted to anything.

EST_1986

Reaction score

2019- Tony Pollard
2017-Ryan Switzer
2015-Damien Wilson
2014- Anthony Hitchens
2013- B.W. Webb
2011-David Arkin
2010-Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
2008-Tashard Choice
2006- Skyler Green
2004- Bruce Thornton
2003- Bradie James
2002- Jamar Martin
2001-Markus Steele
2000-Kareem Larrimore

So in 20 years and some with multiple selections in the 4th, we hit on Pollard, Hitchens, Dak, Barber, Canty, Free and Bradie James.

I would most certainly give up a 4th round pick for the talent level of OJ Howard and would not even look back. And when you look at skilled positions we only ever hit on Barber, Dak, and Pollard. No WR or TE amounted to anything.
well Tashard Choice was good on youtube so theres that

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2019- Tony Pollard
2017-Ryan Switzer
2015-Damien Wilson
2014- Anthony Hitchens
2013- B.W. Webb
2011-David Arkin
2010-Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
2008-Tashard Choice
2006- Skyler Green
2004- Bruce Thornton
2003- Bradie James
2002- Jamar Martin
2001-Markus Steele
2000-Kareem Larrimore

I would say we also got strong depth and backup use out of Damien Wilson, Tashard Choice and Kyle Wilber, which is what we probably would get from Howard.

A problem you aren't considering though is that we could get 4 years with a rookie, and OJ Howard only has one year left on his contract, so it's possible all we would get is the one year. Plus, even if we wanted Howard longer, I suspect he will be looking for much more than 4 years at 4th round rookie pay.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
A problem you aren't considering though is that we could get 4 years of a 4th round rookie contract with a draft pick, and OJ Howard only has one year to go on his current contract and will likely be looking for much more than 4 years at 4th round rookie pay.

Is it a problem? He balls out, then leaves for a market resetting deal for TEs..we flip a 4th for a 3rd while reaping the benefits of his 2020 springboard year.

It's all hypotheticals at this point broham.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it a problem? He balls out, then leaves for a market resetting deal for TEs..we flip a 4th for a 3rd while reaping the benefits of his 2020 springboard year.

It's all hypotheticals at this point broham.
What in the world has OJ Howard done to suggest he would play so well he would set a new market for TEs? Hell, I'm not sure he would get as many targets as Jarwin.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
What in the world has OJ Howard done to suggest he would play so well he would set a new market for TEs? Hell, I'm not sure he would get as many targets as Jarwin.

We know about as much about Howard having a record contract year as we do about Jarwin owning a majority of the snaps. For all we know, they're both JAGs and Dallas gets the short end of the stick.

All I'm getting at is Howard could potentially be worth a 4, then flipping it for a 3 when he leaves in free agency.