Trade up for Jerry Tillery

Sydla

Reaction score
Tillery would be acceptible, but I would rather have Dexter Lawrence inside. Even better would be to see Zach Allen drop into the 2nd. That's the one I would move up and grab. He can play both DE and DT.

I like Allen but we don't really need a tweener again. Either get a terror from the edge or a dominant interior player.

Although I have little doubt Marinelli is creaming himself over Allen's "flexibility".

Lawrence would be great but I really don't think he's falling that far.

Sydla

Reaction score
I didn't know anything about him, but because the OP felt we should offer so much I became interested to find out about him. I found multiple sites that indicated he has real character issues ranging from being a partier, to being a malcontent, to not having the greatest work ethic, to not seeming to always give his full effort, to kicking an opponent in the head and stomping on the leg of another (Ndomukong Suh?), to being suspended from the Fiesta Bowl as a Freshman due to an unspecified violation of team rules.

Most of that is total BS. I am a ND alum and follow the team.

The partier angle and the character issues charge are kind of laughable. He did have that blow up in the USC game where he kicked a player in the head and stomped on a leg but he's never shown anything like that in any other game. His suspension his frosh year was for a minor offense of a team rule. He also had a rocky road at the start with Kelly at ND.

He's a very smart kid, has interned at hedge funds, he's traveled the world interning in places like Cape Town, Toyko and Dublin. He's used his spring and fall breaks to travel to Germany, Poland, Italy, South Korea.

Here are a couple of articles on him. The one knock that might be true is there were questions about commitment to football from some. He was so engrossed with academics and his travels, people thought he might not really care about football. It showed at times apparently during practices where he could get lazy. But by most accounts, he's been a much more focused player the last two years at ND.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-footballs-most-interesting-player/777525001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-have-shaped-irish-dl-jerry-tillery/38047041/

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of that is total BS. I am a ND alum and follow the team.

The partier angle and the character issues charge are kind of laughable. He did have that blow up in the USC game where he kicked a player in the head and stomped on a leg but he's never shown anything like that in any other game. His suspension his frosh year was for a minor offense of a team rule. He also had a rocky road at the start with Kelly at ND.

He's a very smart kid, has interned at hedge funds, he's traveled the world interning in places like Cape Town, Toyko and Dublin. He's used his spring and fall breaks to travel to Germany, Poland, Italy, South Korea.

Here are a couple of articles on him. The one knock that might be true is there were questions about commitment to football from some. He was so engrossed with academics and his travels, people thought he might not really care about football. It showed at times apparently during practices where he could get lazy. But by most accounts, he's been a much more focused player the last two years at ND.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-footballs-most-interesting-player/777525001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-have-shaped-irish-dl-jerry-tillery/38047041/

It wouldn’t surprise me if it were overblown. The media has a has a way of sensationalizing.

Angus12

Reaction score
Good Lord. There is no way I'm trading up for Tillery with our 2nd and next years 3rd involved. And you also want to throw in one of the 4ths this year?

I swear... This time of year causes IQ's to plummet.

Rayman70

Reaction score
now that's something I can get onboard with. He is a plug and play DT...a big playmaking thug in the middle. ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

Rayman70

Reaction score
TILLERY is solid. He might be worth moving up..but I honestly think he may be sitting there at 58.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
TILLERY is solid. He might be worth moving up..but I honestly think he may be sitting there at 58.

Well...it was interesting getting some feedback on him. You really haven' heard a whole lot about his character concerns. The same thing could have been said about Lawerence...and he turned out alright.

Will be interesting to see where he goes. a real wildcard of the draft. I imagine 1st round talent....that slides to early day 2.:rolleyes:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Move up a few spots at a reasonable cost maybe, but nothing like the OP is talking about.

Well...let's see if I'm off my rocker...I imagine he's going early 2nd. Let's say Oakland is interested.... w/ pick 2/35. That equals 550pts

We are sitting w/ the 58th pick = 320pts

Our 3rd is worth...140pts... We are still coming up short...460pts

Our late 4th...4/136 is worth only worth 28 pts...that puts us @ 488pts.

So really...if Oakland were to be willing to make that trade...we are stealing. The numbers don't lie....and on top of the fact...our 3rd in 2020 is a blind pick....so who knows what value it will hold. If it's in the middle of the pack...then this trade would be about right.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well...let's see if I'm off my rocker...I imagine he's going early 2nd. Let's say Oakland is interested.... w/ pick 2/35. That equals 550pts

We are sitting w/ the 58th pick = 320pts

Our 3rd is worth...140pts... We are still coming up short...460pts

Our late 4th...4/136 is worth only worth 28 pts...that puts us @ 488pts.

So really...if Oakland were to be willing to make that trade...we are stealing. The numbers don't lie....and on top of the fact...our 3rd in 2020 is a blind pick....so who knows what value it will hold. If it's in the middle of the pack...then this trade would be about right.
I don’t care about the points, especially since we don’t really know where he will be drafted and it’s really just guesswork anyway, but we already don’t have a first round pick, and we would be talking about giving up more of our draft, and part of next year’s draft too, and I’m not convinced he’s the kind of difference maker that would be worth that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offer our 2nd and late 4th this year to move up....and a 3rd in 2020.

Like it or not...:popcorn:

We need the difference maker @ DT...and he seems like our kind of guy to take Irvings place.

No need. Just get that LB Paul Dawson from TCU. He'll stop all runners and he does not need DLinemen in front of him because they'll just get in his way.

Dawson is a free agent and didn't play in 2018. I don't think any team was able to afford him but the Cowboys do have 124M in cap space for 2020. That would be enough to pay him for a game or two...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Motivation concerns always worry me. A guy can have all the physical talent in the world, and the most polished skillset in the world, and it just doesn't matter if he decides to half-*** it. Albert Haynesworth was a game wrecker, until he decided he just didn't want to be. David Irving could have been a double-digit sack master, until he decided he didn't want to be. It's a bit of a different story than just laziness/apathy, but Barry Sanders was the greatest running back on Earth, until he decided he didn't want to be.

If the player doesn't want it, then the rest doesn't really matter. I don't know if Tillery is all in on football or not, I frankly don't know that much about him period if we're being honest, but I don't want any part of a guy with motivation issues.