Trade up for Jerry Tillery

Sydla

Reaction score
Motivation concerns always worry me. A guy can have all the physical talent in the world, and the most polished skillset in the world, and it just doesn't matter if he decides to half-*** it. Albert Haynesworth was a game wrecker, until he decided he just didn't want to be. David Irving could have been a double-digit sack master, until he decided he didn't want to be. It's a bit of a different story than just laziness/apathy, but Barry Sanders was the greatest running back on Earth, until he decided he didn't want to be.

If the player doesn't want it, then the rest doesn't really matter. I don't know if Tillery is all in on football or not, I frankly don't know that much about him period if we're being honest, but I don't want any part of a guy with motivation issues.

I think it's a fair question to ask but let's be clear that Tillery doesn't have Haynesworth or Irving type tendencies. Tillery is an intellectual and has always been drawn to exploring the world and constantly educating himself. So it's possible he may some day walk away from football early once he gets a bit of coin in his pocket but he's not a knucklehead like Haynesworth or Irving.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Most of that is total BS. I am a ND alum and follow the team.

The partier angle and the character issues charge are kind of laughable. He did have that blow up in the USC game where he kicked a player in the head and stomped on a leg but he's never shown anything like that in any other game. His suspension his frosh year was for a minor offense of a team rule. He also had a rocky road at the start with Kelly at ND.

He's a very smart kid, has interned at hedge funds, he's traveled the world interning in places like Cape Town, Toyko and Dublin. He's used his spring and fall breaks to travel to Germany, Poland, Italy, South Korea.

Here are a couple of articles on him. The one knock that might be true is there were questions about commitment to football from some. He was so engrossed with academics and his travels, people thought he might not really care about football. It showed at times apparently during practices where he could get lazy. But by most accounts, he's been a much more focused player the last two years at ND.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-footballs-most-interesting-player/777525001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-have-shaped-irish-dl-jerry-tillery/38047041/
Basically people don't like him because he likes to read.

Sydla

Reaction score
Most of the mocks having him gone well before 58.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's a fair question to ask but let's be clear that Tillery doesn't have Haynesworth or Irving type tendencies. Tillery is an intellectual and has always been drawn to exploring the world and constantly educating himself. So it's possible he may some day walk away from football early once he gets a bit of coin in his pocket but he's not a knucklehead like Haynesworth or Irving.

That was the reported concern that teams had with WR Equanimeous St. Brown last year. He was drafted in the 6th despite freakish size and athletic ability.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
No need. Just get that LB Paul Dawson from TCU. He'll stop all runners and he does not need DLinemen in front of him because they'll just get in his way.

Dawson is a free agent and didn't play in 2018. I don't think any team was able to afford him but the Cowboys do have 124M in cap space for 2020. That would be enough to pay him for a game or two...

He was on the Seahawks roster last year...but hey...like you would know. @ least you dropped the John Abraham schtick. Good job.:laugh:

Beaker42

Reaction score
Is all that before or after he’s subtly kicking the helmet of an opposing player when he’s on the ground.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is all that before or after he’s subtly kicking the helmet of an opposing player when he’s on the ground.

Before and after.

That USC game was pretty brutal for him as he kicked a player in the head and stomped on the leg of another. But that game was a clear outlier for him. He never had any issues in any other game so it's hard to call him a dirty player based on just one game. Look at guys like Suh and Burfict, they have multiple instances and games where they do something dirty.

If Tillery was a dirty player there would certainly be more instances of dirty play from him. He was a wildly immature kid his frosh and sophomore years at ND to the point that some of the writers that covered the team wondered if he would ever reach his potential.

Flamma

Reaction score
If I'm trading up for a DT it's not for him.

Same thing I was thinking. I have him ranked at 35 and Simmons at 25. In mock drafts I see them both going close to where they are ranked on the big board. We pick at #58. Not sure I'd trade all that to move up for a guy going somewhere in the low 30s.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Same thing I was thinking. I have him ranked at 35 and Simmons at 25. In mock drafts I see them both going close to where they are ranked on the big board. We pick at #58. Not sure I'd trade all that to move up for a guy going somewhere in the low 30s.
Oh by all means I’m hoping Simmons slides to about 56 or so. We better trade up. I’m REALLY hoping for both LOL.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Agree - only the Clemson and Miss State guys are worth trading up for. The Tide stud is too far out of our range......unless we jettison some guys for picks to package.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh by all means I’m hoping Simmons slides to about 56 or so. We better trade up. I’m REALLY hoping for both LOL.

I agree. But it's wishful thinking. We would definitely have to acquire another pick and possibly trade up. But it would be better than paying Tank all that money. Let's see what this FO is made of.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agree - only the Clemson and Miss State guys are worth trading up for. The Tide stud is too far out of our range......unless we jettison some guys for picks to package.

Sometimes people can get too caught up on positioning. The Tide guy is too far up, but how much better is he actually? You have to weigh that with what you're willing to give up for a player.

Proof

Reaction score
Most of that is total BS. I am a ND alum and follow the team.

The partier angle and the character issues charge are kind of laughable. He did have that blow up in the USC game where he kicked a player in the head and stomped on a leg but he's never shown anything like that in any other game. His suspension his frosh year was for a minor offense of a team rule. He also had a rocky road at the start with Kelly at ND.

lol... it sounds like you're confirming the report.