Trade up in 1st round for QB?

csirl

Reaction score
There are 4 QBs in the draft who are considered possible franchise QBs.

Using trade value charts, our 1st and 2nd rounders could get us up to c.#11 in the draft. A little extra or 2 x 1sts could interest SF or Oakland, neither of whom need a QB. Will also take us ahead of the Bills who are in the market for one of the 4 QBs.

There's a reasonable chance a QB we might want will still be on the board when the draft gets to SF. Should we be thinking about this trade?

I know some of you are thinking what about Dak? I think he's limited. Wont be an elite franchise QB. Worst case scenario we have a good backup for the next 2 seasons until hes a FA. Best case scenario is we get a pick or two back later this year in a trade - law of averages says at least one team will lose their starter for the season in preseason or the first month of the regular season.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Using trade value charts, our 1st and 2nd rounders could get us up to c.#11 in the draft. A little extra or 2 x 1sts could interest SF or Oakland, neither of whom need a QB. Will also take us ahead of the Bills who are in the market for one of the 4 QBs.

There's a reasonable chance a QB we might want will still be on the board when the draft gets to SF. Should we be thinking about this trade?

I know some of you are thinking what about Dak? I think he's limited. Wont be an elite franchise QB. Worst case scenario we have a good backup for the next 2 seasons until hes a FA. Best case scenario is we get a pick or two back later this year in a trade - law of averages says at least one team will lose their starter for the season in preseason or the first month of the regular season.
no.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Would be a waste of a pick unless yoiure planning on trading Dak right away. If Mayfield was thee at 19 though I would seriously consider it

csirl

Reaction score
Would be a waste of a pick unless yoiure planning on trading Dak right away. If Mayfield was thee at 19 though I would seriously consider it

Why?

Our QB roster/depth chart isnt any better than teams like Cleveland, Bills, Jets, Cards etc.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

SMH. Just SMH and it’s still a long way before the training camp.

rags747

Reaction score
I like Josh Allen but he will be long gone, would look like Aikman back there.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Russell Wilson is a franchise QB then Dak will be a franchise QB too.

Will he be elite? Who knows. I'd bet against him being elite.

Currently there is only 3 or 4 elite QB's with about 4 or 5 guys on the outside looking in.

Drew Breese was elite but he's no longer in that category.

You got Rodgers, Brady, maaaaybe Cam and a bunch of other guys.

Dak does have great qualities though.

He's a leader, he has a lot of the intangibles, he's mobile, and he protects the football.

If Dallas can create a optimal environment around him then he will be a PRo Bowl level player.

If we're in shootouts constantly then Dak isn't the type of QB that can keep up.

rags747

Reaction score

Currently there is only 3 or 4 elite QB's with about 4 or 5 guys on the outside looking in.

He's a leader, he has a lot of the intangibles, he's mobile, and he protects the football.

If Dallas can create a optimal environment around him then he will be a PRo Bowl level player.

If we're in shootouts constantly then Dak isn't the type of QB that can keep up.
Wilson throws a much better ball imo + I really would prefer a QB that could come out on the better end of a shootout, it's always nice to have. 2018 should tell us all we need to know.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wilson throws a much better ball imo + I really would prefer a QB that could come out on the better end of a shootout, it's always nice to have. 2018 should tell us all we need to know.

Hey.. He may throw a much better ball.

But as far as how he produces overall on the field I think they will be identical.

Wilson doesn't light it up and there are a ton of guys like Dak who are constantly throwing between 200-250 yards a game and a Touchdown.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I'm pulling for Dak, of course, but I don't see he and Wilson in the same light, Catch.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm not moving up this year.
We will know exactly what we have with Dak after this season.
That being said I am looking at the 2019 QB draft class a year ahead of time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Dak, of course, but I don't see he and Wilson in the same light, Catch.

Why not?

What does Wilson do that is so great? They are basically the same player but Dak is just younger.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why not?

What does Wilson do that is so great? They are basically the same player but Dak is just younger.
I like Wilson's basic mechanics better and he is way faster and more maneuverable.

I'm definitely not advocating what the OP is saying though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Wilson's basic mechanics better and he is way faster and more maneuverable.

I'm definitely not advocating that the OP is saying though.

Agree that his is mechanically better and a little quicker but Dak's athleticism is a huge strength.

Through 2 years they both put up similar numbers.

They are both guy who will average mid 20 TD totals, low INT totals, mid 3000 yards passing.

Also Russell has about 4 years on Dak.

IMO, they are similar. If Russell is better its not by much and you're splitting hairs.

Neither guy makes those around them better. They just play good football but a guy like Jimmy Graham is pointless just like a guy like Dez here is pointless. You'll never get their true value.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The only difference between this and Black Panther is both are fantasy, but Black Panther is more plausible.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But what certainty would we have that any of these “first round” QBs will be “franchise QBs”? Seems like a completely unnecessary risk.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If we had a choice...lets say its round 4..and QB Mike White and Kyle Laletta is on the board,which one would you choose? I think both of these guys have a future in the NFL.

csirl

Reaction score
But what certainty would we have that any of these “first round” QBs will be “franchise QBs”? Seems like a completely unnecessary risk.

The chances of Dak developing into a franchise QB now are limited. He's got 32 starts. If he doesnt pass the 'eye test' now he never will.

The clock is also ticking on Daks cheap salary. I'd hate to see us over a barrell in 2 years time having to pay stupid money over multiple years to a QB who's not quite good enough.

Not every 1st round QB works out, but history has shown us time and time again that most elite QBs are drafted early in the 1st. If you get a shot at taking one you grab it. And I think the odds of hitting are much more than Dak improving significantly.