Trade up, should we?

Smith22

Reaction score
So the Commanders moved up from 46 to 26 for their 46 and a second next year? That seems pretty cheap since next year picks have to be worth less than this years.

Consensus is, trading up has been much cheaper than previous drafts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So the Commanders moved up from 46 to 26 for their 46 and a second next year? That seems pretty cheap since next year picks have to be worth less than this years.
Good eye

It came in the lowest match of the six trades at "only" 90% match

Pick 26 = 700

Pick 26 (440) + 2020 2nd (usually assume value is mid 2019 3rd ..so 190) = 630

But I suspect the Colts (and most everyone else) assume the Skins will pick earlier than mid round next year , so that ups the 630 to much closer to the 700.
It gets a bit more flexible when future picks get included.

Either way, it was still within 10% if we are conservative

All the rest were VERY close to an even match. One was even an exact match at 1300 each
You picked the one that pushed the limit. Good call.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Consensus is, trading up has been much cheaper than previous drafts.

Here is the brerakdown

Steelers/Broncos had an exact 100% match

Packers/Seahawks --Seahawks paid 93% of value

Eagles/Ravens--Ravens paid 99.7% of value)

Skins/Colts--Skins paid 90% of value

Giants/Seahawks--Giants paid 97.5% of value

Falcons/Rams--Falcons paid 106% of value

So all were very close to value either way with the Skins being the furthest away at 90% value, but it included a future pick that is uncertain.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
In order to land the safety I think Dallas needs to leap Philly, we know that spiteful organization will scoop a safety for sure.

Dallas trades #58 and #90 to Tennessee for #51 and #121

If Dallas lands there safety here, the next obvious needs are RB, DL, CB. Hill/JJ Williams will be gone by #90 anyhow and lots of value for rb's in the mid rounds so giving up the third won't hurt that much. In the fourth, you can scoop your running back and one of Kingsley/Wren/Wise......

Smith22

Reaction score
In order to land the safety I think Dallas needs to leap Philly, we know that spiteful organization will scoop a safety for sure.

Dallas trades #58 and #90 to Tennessee for #51 and #121

If Dallas lands there safety here, the next obvious needs are RB, DL, CB. Hill/JJ Williams will be gone by #90 anyhow and lots of value for rb's in the mid rounds so giving up the third won't hurt that much. In the fourth, you can scoop your running back and one of Kingsley/Wren/Wise......

I don't like the price, moving up only 7 to drop almost an entire round.

morasp

Reaction score
Good eye

It came in the lowest match of the six trades at "only" 90% match

Pick 26 = 700

Pick 26 (440) + 2020 2nd (usually assume value is mid 2019 3rd ..so 190) = 630

But I suspect the Colts (and most everyone else) assume the Skins will pick earlier than mid round next year , so that ups the 630 to much closer to the 700.
It gets a bit more flexible when future picks get included.

Either way, it was still within 10% if we are conservative

All the rest were VERY close to an even match. One was even an exact match at 1300 each
You picked the one that pushed the limit. Good call.
I would do that all day with later round picks. Sign me up for our fifth and next years fifth for a forth. Our compensatory fourth and next years fourth for a third. The meat of the draft is 2-4.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Where I'd trade up is to somewhere around 70, if I can keep 90. There's going to be a safety/corner there at 58 so, in theory, you could go

58 - Thornhill/Gardner Johnson
70 - Isabella/Campbell
90 - T Hill

Maybe you move up from 90 too, a bit, but if you come out of the draft with just those 3 players, you're not doing too bad, considering no 1st.
That would be an excellent haul. 5th and 7th wouldn't even matter.

reddyuta

Reaction score
depends on what we give up,if its our Comp pick or future 3rd rd pick then we should do it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would do that all day with later round picks. Sign me up for our fifth and next years fifth for a forth. Our compensatory fourth and next years fourth for a third. The meat of the draft is 2-4.
Would love it, but it would only work if you said this year's 4th for next year's 3rd...maybe.
Since our 4th is late even that'd be tough.

Same applies for this year's 5th for next year's 4th. You might get someone to do that

And Two 4ths this year...unless they are early 4ths...would not get a 3rd this year.

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draftchart.php

DFWJC

Reaction score
Where I'd trade up is to somewhere around 70, if I can keep 90. There's going to be a safety/corner there at 58 so, in theory, you could go

58 - Thornhill/Gardner Johnson
70 - Isabella/Campbell
90 - T Hill

Maybe you move up from 90 too, a bit, but if you come out of the draft with just those 3 players, you're not doing too bad, considering no 1st.
Nice haul

The only way you could do this would be to offer next year's 2nd for the 70th pick.
Otherwise you'd have to package 90 with one of 4ths and a 5th
You up for that?

morasp

Reaction score
Would love it, but it would only work if you said this year's 4th for next year's 3rd...maybe.
Since our 4th is late even that'd be tough.

Same applies for this year's 5th for next year's 4th. You might get someone to do that

And Two 4ths this year...unless they are early 4ths...would not get a 3rd this year.

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draftchart.php
I'd try it anyway

RamziD

Reaction score
Trade with DEN at #52 to get ahead of PHI if there’s a S we want. PHI needs a S and also likes to screw us over if possible. DEN traded down yesterday, maybe Elway will do it again.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nice haul

The only way you could do this would be to offer next year's 2nd for the 70th pick.
Otherwise you'd have to package 90 with one of 4ths and a 5th
You up for that?
Yea, I assume it would cost next year's second. But if you think you're getting 2nd-round value at 70, I'd do it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trade with DEN at #52 to get ahead of PHI if there’s a S we want. PHI needs a S and also likes to screw us over if possible. DEN traded down yesterday, maybe Elway will do it again.
Could get 51-52 range for a 4th and 6th if we get a willing partner

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
My opinion on Juan are pretty well documented, but...

I wouldn't draft him to play linebacker. If you have to have a Roy Williams-type enforcer Thornhill isn't your guy. But while he may not be a thumper he is a very good tackler. I know numbers aren't everything but he racked up 45 and 63 as a soph and junior playing corner and then 98 last year in his first season at safety. He picked off six balls in '18 and had seven PBs, four and 12 the year before and three and seven in his first year as a starter. In three years playing heavy minutes he never missed a game. He's big, long, fast and.explosive, maybe the best athlete in the draft, with great instincts and hops to go get the ball. And his college productivity shows it, but he has steadily improved over career and I think his best football may be ahead of him. All I know is, at Virginia he covered like a blanket and was always.around the ball.

(FYI: I hate it when people homer out on players from their favorite school. My opinion of JT comes purely from watching him in person for four years and seeing a heck of a football player.)

Homer...:muttley: