Trade up to get Xavier McKinney

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
McKinney >>> Delpit

McKinney can play the slot, nickel LB, SS, deep half, or single high. The only position out of those that Delpit plays better at is single high.

We play in a conference where the main contenders all have strong rushing attacks (SF, MIN, GB, SEA, NO) and also play Saquon twice a year.

Preferring a matador at safety over a do-it-all safety and strong tackler like McKinney is puzzling to me.
I disagree. Delpit can cover the slot or anywhere else, he is a better prospect than McKinney. You also have to take into account what type of safety do you want. A ball-hawking center field safety or an in the box safety. Delpit tackling issues are way overblown but he isn't a SS, he is a FS. He can cover better than McKinney and it's not even close. His speed and especially closing speed is incredible, he can cover ground in a hurry. McKinney can not provide that for you.

I'm happy with either one but folks saying McKinney is so much better than Delpit has their facts mixed up.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I remember when the NY Giants took safety Landon Collins with a high draft pick, something about "Bama" safeties worries me
Landon Collins, Eddie Jackson, Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Guess what they all have in common? All-pro safeties and are products of Bama.

Ha-Ha is another Bama safety that's made the pro bowl.

The fact that he played for Bama under Saban is an argument FOR McKinney, not against him.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
I disagree. Delpit can cover the slot or anywhere else, he is a better prospect than McKinney. You also have to take into account what type of safety do you want. A ball-hawking center field safety or an in the box safety. Delpit tackling issues are way overblown but he isn't a SS, he is a FS. He can cover better than McKinney and it's not even close. His speed and especially closing speed is incredible, he can cover ground in a hurry. McKinney can not provide that for you.

I'm happy with either one but folks saying McKinney is so much better than Delpit has their facts mixed up.
We can disagree on who is the better prospect, but confining McKinney to just a "box safety" isn't accurate or indicative of how he was used at Bama.

Saban lined him up every where and he played well at every position.

"His coach, Nick Saban, certainly understood that. He put his positionless playmaker all over the field last season — 323 snaps in the box, 227 in the slot, 271 deep. On any given play, McKinney could be lined anywhere on the field."

Delpit is the better centerfielder, but McKinney is the more balanced prospect who can do a little bit of everything. Which is why he's drawn comparisons to Malcolm Jenkins.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
That was my first reaction too, good player but don't want to toss away a 3rd rounder to move up that high. If some of these dbs start dropping and we're 5 to 7 picks away from the Cowboys pick sending a 4th would be fine to secure the player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We can disagree on who is the better prospect, but confining McKinney to just a "box safety" isn't accurate or indicative of how he was used at Bama.

Saban lined him up every where and he played well at every position.

Delpit is the better centerfielder, but McKinney is the more balanced prospect who can do a little bit of everything. Which is why he's drawn comparisons to Malcolm Jenkins.
McKinney has flaws and one is he isn't great at anything. Sure you can line him up in the slot but Delpit is much better, you can line him up at centerfield but Delpit is much better. McKinney has issues with bad angles at times. His best place to play is SS as a in the box guy. Delpit best place is at FS where you can take advantage of his elite range and ball skills, something McKinney isn't elite at.

Don't get me wrong, I like McKinney and wouldn't mind him on the team but I don't see him bringing something new to the safety position that we don't already have. Delpit on the other hand is a ball hawk and HaHa isn't long term.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I would love to have him, but I can't see giving up picks to get there. There will, almost without a doubt, be a decent safety there for us at our next pick. Now if they have a corner fall into their lap, we may not see any benefit from the safety being there...

JBell

Reaction score
McKinney has flaws and one is he isn't great at anything. Sure you can line him up in the slot but Delpit is much better, you can line him up at centerfield but Delpit is much better. McKinney has issues with bad angles at times. His best place to play is SS as a in the box guy. Delpit best place is at FS where you can take advantage of his elite range and ball skills, something McKinney isn't elite at.

Don't get me wrong, I like McKinney and wouldn't mind him on the team but I don't see him bringing something new to the safety position that we don't already have. Delpit on the other hand is a ball hawk and HaHa isn't long term.
Being good at everything, but not "elite" in one area isn't a flaw to me. I realize that you want a ballhawk, center fielding FS, because we haven't had one of those in lord knows how long.

But McKinney will get you those splash plays. 6 sacks, 5 INT's, 6 FF, 15 PD's, and 2 TD's the last 2 seasons.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'm not trading up for anyone right now except baybe Baun.

So much talent left.

I do find it weird that fans every single year want us to trade down from our 1st and trade up our second pick.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Being good at everything, but not "elite" in one area isn't a flaw to me. I realize that you want a ballhawk, center fielding FS, because we haven't had one of those in lord knows how long.

But McKinney will get you those splash plays. 6 sacks, 5 INT's, 6 FF, 15 PD's, and 2 TD's the last 2 seasons.
I'm not saying McKinney is a bad player but I am saying Delpit is better and I much rather have Delpit.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I'm thinking Diggs, McKinney and Fulton all go before our pick.
Bryce Hall or Jaylon Johnson will probably be there at 51.
I like Hall a little more cuz he got 2 pick six's on his resume...I like that. :cool:
We got Woods and HaHa holding the fort at safety but we need a CB to beat out Brown.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking Diggs, McKinney and Fulton all go before our pick.
Bryce Hall or Jaylon Johnson will probably be there at 51.
I like Hall a little more cuz he got 2 pick six's on his resume...I like that. :cool:
We got Woods and HaHa holding the fort at safety but we need a CB to beat out Brown.
Use a next year's draft choice and move up...and retain the current 2nd round pick.

conner01

Reaction score
Use a next year's draft choice and move up...and retain the current 2nd round pick.
That would cost you your first next year
You could maybe use 51 and a next year 3rd to nice up
I don’t mind using a future pick but the premium is high

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'd much rather trade up for an edge rusher with double-digit sack potential. Gross-Matos, Baun or Epenesa... or whoever if there's someone I'm forgetting. A legit pass-rush will make our secondary look much better than slightly improving the talent level of the secondary, who will be asked to play behind our current pass-rush.

But if I am gonna trade up for a safety, I might rather target Winfield with a significantly smaller trade-up. Great ballhawk tendencies, which we need, but shouldn't have to trade up quite as far.

But if Gregory & Smith come back & are impactful, the rookie edge rusher isn't going to do much for you this year where a CB taken at this point should be a contributor. I know its an "IF" but i think they have plugged the holes with what's available in FA and are looking for CB help in the draft.