Trade up to get Xavier McKinney

CCBoy

Reaction score
That would cost you your first next year
You could maybe use 51 and a next year 3rd to nice up
I don’t mind using a future pick but the premium is high

The NCAA might have playoffs about May next summer. This would be a June draft, with a downgrade of talent...I'd take the gamble right now, to realisticly improve the secondary, quite a bit and through next year's free agency demands in the secondary.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Stay put. This team has lots of needs. There will be plenty of good players at 51 to choose from.

Myself, I would deal 2021 pick(s) and come out with a starter at CB and S...this 2nd round. No hesitance.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I didnt flip thru this whole thread so sorry if the obvious has been mentioned already.....

You really have to expect to trade with Cincy to get him

To go from 19 to 1 in the second round us going to cost at LEAST next years #1 (which is at least now percieved as a low pick in the round), and probably a 4th this year.

This years 3rd and 4th wont do it.

There are way too many good players left that we are almost guaranteed to get a shot at a CB or S by staying put.

Now, if McKinney slides to say 12/13, sure, pick up the phone.

We cant even be sure the team has him rated ahead of Delpit or Winfield anyway.

I kind of dont in the case of the former.

SSoup

Reaction score
But if Gregory & Smith come back & are impactful, the rookie edge rusher isn't going to do much for you this year where a CB taken at this point should be a contributor. I know its an "IF" but i think they have plugged the holes with what's available in FA and are looking for CB help in the draft.
The "if" scenario there sounds a lot to me like saying "if Awuzie and Lewis and Brown play at their best, a 2nd round corner isn't gonna beat them out for playing time anyway."

There's a good chance a 2nd rounder, whether they're a pass-rusher or a CB, won't be able to beat out our veterans for playing time on the merits (on the merits, as opposed to us handing it to them because we factor in that we just spent a high pick on them).

Either way it might happen.

Gregory and Aldon feel like less reliable options to me than our corners. But that's just me.

Maybe you love the odds of them being reinstated, staying eligible, staying out of legal trouble, being in good shape, and playing well after extended absences. And think that our corners outplaying a 2nd round rookie corner is more of a longshot than those other guys. I'd disagree.

But I'm not opposed to the team counting on Gregory, at least, to be a contributor (since he's the least likely of the two to have his reinstatement denied, and he's also shown he can come back from a long suspension and contribute).

Silverstar

Reaction score
Use a next year's draft choice and move up...and retain the current 2nd round pick.

I'd try and move up for Diggs with a player first if possible.
51 and either Brown or Lewis or heck with it...both!
I think vets Goodwin or Canady could man the slot.
Not ideal I know, but getting Diggs would be worth it IMO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Myself, I would deal 2021 pick(s) and come out with a starter at CB and S...this 2nd round. No hesitance.
I like that idea, in theory, but these CBs seem quite interchangeable.

Not sure if any particular one is head and shoulders above the others among those left.

So many second tier DBs have dropped this far that I think we sit tight and see. I'd wager someone falls.

I do think that they will need to go S in this round if they want a starter, but gut tells me the best DB on the board absent a deal up is going to be a CB....definitely one capable of starting almost right away on this team.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
But if Gregory & Smith come back & are impactful, the rookie edge rusher isn't going to do much for you this year where a CB taken at this point should be a contributor. I know its an "IF" but i think they have plugged the holes with what's available in FA and are looking for CB help in the draft.

What corners are gonna start this year over Brown, Awuzie, and Lewis? A backup edge will play about as much as a dime corner (depending on how they want to rotate). Both Gregory/Smith and most of the secondary are all on one year deals so you could go either way there.

conner01

Reaction score
The NCAA might have playoffs about May next summer. This would be a June draft, with a downgrade of talent...I'd take the gamble right now, to realisticly improve the secondary, quite a bit and through next year's free agency demands in the secondary.
Hadn’t thought about how college season plays out honestly
That is an interesting thought
If you have a first rnd grade on a guy and could trade next years one and get him now while still keeping your two in a situation where the college season doesn’t play out as normal so making players hard to judge then it does make lots of sense

CCBoy

Reaction score
Fix it all, and then start team building and manning special team aces.

jnday

Reaction score
I’d like to see us move up for Delpit.

I’d like to not basically pray to whatever diety I randomly chose at that moment every time a deep ball is up for grabs...
The last thing that a Dallas needs is defenders that won’t or can’t tackle.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The "if" scenario there sounds a lot to me like saying "if Awuzie and Lewis and Brown play at their best, a 2nd round corner isn't gonna beat them out for playing time anyway."

There's a good chance a 2nd rounder, whether they're a pass-rusher or a CB, won't be able to beat out our veterans for playing time on the merits (on the merits, as opposed to us handing it to them because we factor in that we just spent a high pick on them).

Either way it might happen.

Gregory and Aldon feel like less reliable options to me than our corners. But that's just me.

Maybe you love the odds of them being reinstated, staying eligible, staying out of legal trouble, being in good shape, and playing well after extended absences. And think that our corners outplaying a 2nd round rookie corner is more of a longshot than those other guys. I'd disagree.

But I'm not opposed to the team counting on Gregory, at least, to be a contributor (since he's the least likely of the two to have his reinstatement denied, and he's also shown he can come back from a long suspension and contribute).
I agree there is risk and I personally need them to earn my trust. I just feel like the organization thinks these guys cover the "position" thus the need isn't as high as corner. I could be wrong but they probably feel there are still some corners who could come in & nail down a spot or at least strengthen the rotation. Doubt they are quite as confident in the edges that remain. All just opinion.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What corners are gonna start this year over Brown, Awuzie, and Lewis? A backup edge will play about as much as a dime corner (depending on how they want to rotate). Both Gregory/Smith and most of the secondary are all on one year deals so you could go either way there.
I think Fulton or Diggs would have a good shot at being the outside corner opposite Chido. With Lewis & Brown manning the slot. I could see one of those splitting time outside with a rookie if the rookie wasn't clearly up to speed. As you said, with the contract situation I believe the Cowboys will double dip at CB (even if they get one in round 2 or 3). There are some later round prospects that I am not super familiar with but from breakdowns i have seen have some intriguing traits.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There are maybe 10-12 players remaining that we would be thrilled to get at 51. If any of them get taken and somehow McKinney is still one of them when we get in the 40s, maybe a small trade up is worth it.
Otherwise, no thanks. Too many good options without giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder for no reason.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I think Fulton or Diggs would have a good shot at being the outside corner opposite Chido. With Lewis & Brown manning the slot. I could see one of those splitting time outside with a rookie if the rookie wasn't clearly up to speed. As you said, with the contract situation I believe the Cowboys will double dip at CB (even if they get one in round 2 or 3). There are some later round prospects that I am not super familiar with but from breakdowns i have seen have some intriguing traits.

If we could somehow grab Diggs and then draft a 4.3 guy like Guidry on day 3 (Scandrick type) that would be awesome.

vnick

Reaction score
No need to trade up, yet. I like McKinney, but not sure I like him more than Delpit. I am also not sure I like him more than Diggs or Fulton...and while I like him, not sure I value him over Espenesa..

So I would wait before moving up. Now if that list starts to dry up, then maybe we need to move up some to get a guy, but right now the draft could come to us. Especially with a lot of good RB and WR still on the board