Trade Zeke

aria

Reaction score
Come again???

feed-zeke-nfl-ranks-since-2016-1st-in-total-touches-60877013.png
And he’s declined every since. He wasn’t even top 10 in 10+ yards last season IIRC, wasn’t even top 20 in elusiveness. Wasn’t top in touches, the list goes on. A lot of those stats are a product of coaching and the O line which doesn’t mean he is the best running back in the league.

aria

Reaction score
He's top 3 in ALL OF that. Hell #1 in most. What else you need to see?
Nothing, I saw enough last year and the year before. He wasn’t top 10 in most of that last year and most of those stats are a result of play calling, which doesn’t equate to the best RB in the league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nothing, I saw enough last year and the year before. He wasn’t top 10 in most of that last year and most of those stats are a result of play calling, which doesn’t equate to the best RB in the league.
I said he's been the best RB in the league since 2016....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.
He wouldn't be a cool ftiend! He'd get you in trouble.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There is something called a Salary Cap in the NFL.

Zeke just signed a new contract last season

If they trade him this off-season:
2020 Salary Cap Hit: 28.6 million.

Total paid to Zeke for 1 year of service (2019): 29.4 million.

Bingo! The OP somehow forgot to mention that fact. :rolleyes:

basel90

Reaction score
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.

he was never worth that contract . Jerry was duped into paying it . Too late now . No one will pay him close to what the cowboys paid .

blueblood70

Reaction score
he was never worth that contract . Jerry was duped into paying it . Too late now . No one will pay him close to what the cowboys paid .
how many players are worth their contracts? seriously worst narrative in sports when guys like Pulos making 200mil deals etc all players are overpaid , owners decide who gets the big deals and really zekes been one of our top 3 players since he came in the league , done nothing to be a disappointments post draft? heck no get over it hes durable means always available and very steady productive, and can be counted on..tell a RB who basically not only leads the league in carries since 2016 a few Rushing crowns only derailed 3 years in row by RG suspension, and is only the field more then any other SKILLED postion player in the league..count his SNSAPS , blocking, pass plays not catches like how many routes hes involved in, Zeke is being abused and deserves compensation regardless of the stigma of dont pay RBs..

whatever..

RBs like Zeke have more right to demand big money early because of their short careers, they are used up and thrown away, he was smart in getting his money NOW before he was tossed out like Murray... listen to APs rant, hes right maybe only 5 Rbs in the league fit that bill in a given career span but EE is one of them..

hes what the 4th on team in salary, thats too much? seriously get a clue..Dak , AC , and Tank do NOT deserve to be paid 40% more then Zeke yet they are, hRBs like him have the right to do what he did..

cern

Reaction score
He's far better than hershel walker. Imagine what jimmy could have gotten for zeke. And he doesn't refer to himself in the third person.

BermyStar

Reaction score
I'd prefer to see the team commit to running the ball since this is the identity they tried to build. You drafted and paid a top tier RB along with top tier OL. Opening drives, which are usually scripted, have shown great balance and hence offensive efficiency, but then, almost as though our OC is struck with amnesia, we abandon the running game and lise our identity. Give Zeke the rock like he got it as a rookie, feed him like you spent the #4 pick on him.

GMO415

Reaction score
I don't think that contract is tradable. No one is willing to pay that, but maybe Tampa?

Kwyn

Reaction score

Trade him for what?

You listed about 7 reasons why you don’t want him. Is there a line of teams waiting to trade for a RB?

Bill O’Brien is the only idiot who would have done it and the Cardinals snapped it up

aria

Reaction score
I said he's been the best RB in the league since 2016....
But he hasn’t been the best RB on a yearly basis since 2016 and you’re still not admitting how much the O line and play calling should be factored in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But he hasn’t been the best RB on a yearly basis since 2016 and you’re still not admitting how much the O line and play calling should be factored in.
Playcalling has sucked since he's been here. It even sucked at times last year but I felt like that was Garrett meddling with a good thing.

And no he's not the best back on a yearly basis. But since 2016 who has been the best back on a yearly basis? Before you answer that I know the answer. There's a new "best back in the league" every single year. But Zeke is the only one that can say he's been top 3 every year since 2016. Nobody else can make that claim.

aria

Reaction score
Playcalling has sucked since he's been here. It even sucked at times last year but I felt like that was Garrett meddling with a good thing.

And no he's not the best back on a yearly basis. But since 2016 who has been the best back on a yearly basis? Before you answer that I know the answer. There's a new "best back in the league" every single year. But Zeke is the only one that can say he's been top 3 every year since 2016. Nobody else can make that claim.
LOL, number one offense sucks, ok. If he didn’t get all those carries he wouldn’t have the yards and then what would you or other supporters use to argue how great he is? I would hardly say having a top 5 offense 2 out of 4 years is sucking.

2016- 5th in total yards
2019- 1st in total yards

Has zeke been top 3 every year? According to what stats? Please don’t say total yards. Other than Henry, who got the ball much less than zeke due to poor coaching, how many other RB’s had a top 5 O line as many times as zeke has had? How many other RB’s carried the ball as many times as he did?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL, number one offense sucks, ok. If he didn’t get all those carries he wouldn’t have the yards and then what would you or other supporters use to argue how great he is? I would hardly say having a top 5 offense 2 out of 4 years is sucking.

2016- 5th in total yards
2019- 1st in total yards

Has zeke been top 3 every year? According to what stats? Please don’t say total yards. Other than Henry, who got the ball much less than zeke due to poor coaching, how many other RB’s had a top 5 O line as many times as zeke has had? How many other RB’s carried the ball as many times as he did?

I did not say the offense sucks I said the PLAYCALLING sucks. Its why Garrett is out of here. Come on man.....

And this is silly. You're telling me Zeke ain't the best but then bring up they are the best offense as if he's not a reason for that lol. He's a big reason for the tlol.

And you're not making sense. So you say his yards doesn't determine he's been a top 3 back so what do you do to gauge how good he's been if its not yards? And please don't bring up his offensive line because Emmitt had a great offensive line too and no one knocks him for it. You shouldn't be knocked for having a good line.

aria

Reaction score
I did not say the offense sucks I said the PLAYCALLING sucks. Its why Garrett is out of here. Come on man.....

And this is silly. You're telling me Zeke ain't the best but then bring up they are the best offense as if he's not a reason for that lol. He's a big reason for the tlol.

And you're not making sense. So you say his yards doesn't determine he's been a top 3 back so what do you do to gauge how good he's been if its not yards? And please don't bring up his offensive line because Emmitt had a great offensive line too and no one knocks him for it. You shouldn't be knocked for having a good line.
Garrett hasn’t called plays since 2012 or 2013.

Sure zeke is a reason for the offense, but the O line is a much bigger reason and there are several other RB’s that would have done just as good, if not better, had they played under the same circumstances.

As far as Emmitt vs zeke, if you don’t see the difference between the two than I don’t know what to tell you. Total yards is one of the most worthless stats when determining who is a better running back because it is largely dependent on the O line and play calling. IIRC, 8 our of the last 10 RB’s to win the rushing record also carried the ball more times than any other RB the season they won it. Coincidence? I don’t think so. There’s also guys like Barkley who haven’t had near the O line zeke has had and haven’t had near the offensive weapons zeke has had surrounding him (so teams focus more on Barkley) and yet they are putting up better ypc.

So would you consider zeke an inferior receiver if he didn’t have as many balls thrown to him as other RB’s? I didn’t think so, how is it different than carries?

I would look more at individual stats such as broken tackles, yards after contact, forced tackles missed, elusiveness, yards after catch, etc.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

IF, that huge word again, IF what you say about Elliott is true, his unwillingness to train in the off season and not mature and possibly gets suspended again and of course his cap hit, then EVERY other GM in the league knows this too. Especially with that cap hit, teams are not going to fork over an adequate draft pick for Elliott Oh one other thing, McCarthy has said several times now that he will adjust his schemes to take advantage of the talent he has so you're you declaration that McCarthy will not want or use Elliott is more of your idea and not his. I've not been a big Elliott fan and I too wish he would start faster each season, but at this time he is still the best RB on this team both running and receiving so I'll bet McCarthy will use him the best he can. Unless some GM has a mental breakdown and starts to think like you and calls Jones up and offer some ridiculous trade offer, Elliott isn't going anywhere soon. I will say that if Elliott continues his downward slide in production at some point the Cowboys will consider eating the remainder of his cap hit and release him because there would be no trade value and move on.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Garrett hasn’t called plays since 2012 or 2013.

Sure zeke is a reason for the offense, but the O line is a much bigger reason and there are several other RB’s that would have done just as good, if not better, had they played under the same circumstances.

As far as Emmitt vs zeke, if you don’t see the difference between the two than I don’t know what to tell you. Total yards is one of the most worthless stats when determining who is a better running back because it is largely dependent on the O line and play calling. IIRC, 8 our of the last 10 RB’s to win the rushing record also carried the ball more times than any other RB the season they won it. Coincidence? I don’t think so. There’s also guys like Barkley who haven’t had near the O line zeke has had and haven’t had near the offensive weapons zeke has had surrounding him (so teams focus more on Barkley) and yet they are putting up better ypc.

So would you consider zeke an inferior receiver if he didn’t have as many balls thrown to him as other RB’s? I didn’t think so, how is it different than carries?

I would look more at individual stats such as broken tackles, yards after contact, forced tackles missed, elusiveness, yards after catch, etc.
Doesn’t matter it’s Garrett’s playbook and I’m not naive enough to believe he doesn’t have say in play calling. Either way the play calling was inconsistent at best.

If Zeke hasn’t been the best back in the league the last four years then who is? Saquon? Leveon? Who? You’re discrediting the claim but aren’t saying who is.