Twitter: Training camp officially moving to Oxnard

Maxmadden

Reaction score
With the union cutting down the actual practice days I think it is better to get everyone away from home and focus on practice. It is 98 degrees today here in Ft worth and could be 105 by July 20th. With limited practice days I will take the 75 degree weather.
It's over a 105 today here. You quit in the heat, you will quit on the field. You make it through and you know the team you are playing probably couldn't have made it through. That's what heat in training camp can do for you. I don't buy into this soft camp stuff.

But I'm sure all the players would agree with you. They would rather have 75 degrees too. That's why we will be sitting home again, I'd bet.
Korey Stringer didn't quit.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's over a 105 today here. You quit in the heat, you will quit on the field. You make it through and you know the team you are playing probably couldn't have made it through. That's what heat in training camp can do for you. I don't buy into this soft camp stuff.

But I'm sure all the players would agree with you. They would rather have 75 degrees too. That's why we will be sitting home again, I'd bet.
I mean, even the statue in your avi is sweating!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys announce return to Oxnard for training camp (nfl.com)

Until the announcement was made, the idea of training camp being in Oxnard was only speculation.

It's now official. July 21 through Aug 12.

2021 Dallas Cowboys Training Camp Key Dates

• Tues., July 20: Team Charter arrives in Oxnard
  • Wed., July 21: Opening press conference (10:00 a.m. PDT)
  • Thurs., July 22: First practice (11:00 a.m. PDT)
  • Sat., July 24: Opening Ceremony (TBD)
  • Wed., Aug. 4: Depart for Canton, Ohio
  • Thurs., Aug. 5: Dallas vs. Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. CDT in Canton, Ohio)
  • Sat. Aug. 7: Joint Practice with the LA Rams (time TBA)
  • Thurs., Aug. 12: Break camp in Oxnard - travel to Phoenix, Ari.
  • Fri., Aug. 13: Dallas at Arizona (9:00 p.m. CDT)
  • Sat., Aug. 21: Dallas vs. Houston (7:00 p.m. CDT) AT&T Stadium
  • Sun., Aug. 29: Dallas vs. Jacksonville (12:00 p.m. CDT) AT&T Stadium

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Until the announcement was made, the idea of training camp being in Oxnard was only speculation.

Was this already mentioned earlier,?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Up late tonight are we?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Korey Stringer didn't quit.

Nobody forced Stringer to go to camp. Nobody is forcing any of these guys to play professional football. If I die in my truck, tomorrow, on my way to work, are you gonna try and say that there should be a law about going into work? I seriously doubt it. So you can throw out Stringer or anybody else you want, I don't care. Nobody is making anybody play football. You don't like the business, get out of it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
sweet, maybe I can get my Dak doll signed by him.
Is that the Dak Voodoo doll we all keep by our TV on Sundays? On game day I build a Shrine next to the TV with Cowboy stuff to chase away the gremlins. How about you guys? Hats tee shirts..game programs keychain..you name it. I have a strict ritual that I celebrate 24 hrs then remove until next game on Sunday or whatever day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I mean, even the statue in your avi is sweating!

Right! You would think that of all the retardation I've spewed, over the years, on this board, that would be the single piece that might have credibility, based on the physical evidence. I guess you never can tell......

;)

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Nobody forced Stringer to go to camp. Nobody is forcing any of these guys to play professional football. If I die in my truck, tomorrow, on my way to work, are you gonna try and say that there should be a law about going into work? I seriously doubt it. So you can throw out Stringer or anybody else you want, I don't care. Nobody is making anybody play football. You don't like the business, get out of it.
Name another team that holds camp in a 105 degree weather?
How many games are we going to play in a 105 degree weather?

I'm guessing that you and I both went through 2 a Days in the Texas heat 30 or 40 years ago. They told us it made us tough and we believed them. But it didn't seem to help much come playoffs and we were playing in 20 degree weather.

Things have changed and there is not enough practice days to get everyone the reps they need in TC.
Surely, at your age you realize you can get more done on a mild temperature day than trying to do it in 105 degree temp.

Qcard

Reaction score
Good Lord........

Everybody in the league believes we are soft and to tell the truth, we haven't shown them any different. Make it easier on the players, don't do what Jimmy would have.

Worse yet, spend all that money on the best Football facilities in the world and then go run off to Thousand Oaks, and have training camp in Conejo Valley.

More of the same.........
Dogs travel……

The softness perception (I agree) is based on the last administration perceptions and results.. Garrett Era.

McCarthy has not been afforded a full Offseason for reasons known to ALL.

I doubt location of training is the reason Garrett had a soft team

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Name another team that holds camp in a 105 degree weather?
How many games are we going to play in a 105 degree weather?

I'm guessing that you and I both went through 2 a Days in the Texas heat 30 or 40 years ago. They told us it made us tough and we believed them. But it didn't seem to help much come playoffs and we were playing in 20 degree weather.

Things have changed and there is not enough practice days to get everyone the reps they need in TC.
Surely, at your age you realize you can get more done on a mild temperature day than trying to do it in 105 degree temp.

Before I go down this rabbit hole with you, why the hell would that matter? Is your point that you want to do things like every other team? I ask because, let me just point out here, 31 of 32 teams lose at the end of the year. 18 don't even make the playoffs so I don't really care what other teams are doing. 31 of them are doing it wrong. I am all about doing what will help you win, not what will help you be like the majority of teams in the League. Change is not always good. In fact, it's usually not good. Its usually a a sell job that ends up in failure, to be honest. But hey, everybody thinks they either know better or believes that there is one born every day.

The facilities at The Star are world class. They never need to practice outdoors, if they don't want to. The team could literally practice in a controlled environment every single day, if they wanted to. There is no need to go anywhere else, if that is what they wanted to do. They could just stay home, lord knows, they've gotten enough money to build that facility from the tax payers, they've increased the ticket prices and the merchandising enough to account for those expenditures so why do they need to go to Thousand Oaks, rent facilities, for the purpose of practicing in better temps? How exactly does that work?

Yes, I played in those temps and hotter, when I was a kid. I've coached teams in those conditions you mention and hotter. Yes, I believe in practicing in those conditions. If it didn't help you when you were a kid, I don't know what to tell you. It helped me win, I know that for a fact. So we disagree there. I don't see how making it easier for these guys helps them. What helped Jimmy win in the 90s? I don't think it was making it easier on these guys in TC. But hey, we're gonna find out real quick here. Lets see how going back to Thousand Oaks works out then come back and tell me all about it after the season.

Lets make that a plan.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dogs travel……

The softness perception (I agree) is based on the last administration perceptions and results.. Garrett Era.

McCarthy has not been afforded a full Offseason for reasons known to ALL.

I doubt location of training is the reason Garrett had a soft team

So you've seen something from this team that suggest to you that things have changed? I haven't, I've seen more of the same with a slightly different flavor.

I mean, TC is already watered down. It's a bunch of shells practices with no hitting. The very least you should do is condition the hell out of the team in real heat. That, to me, is one of the few benefits to TC you still have left.

More of the same.