Video: Trevon Diggs in coverage

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah I liked it.. I watched the whole video though.

as Zurlien points out, his weakness is staying in phase, but if you study the highlight, its because he's what I call too nosey in man coverage, he peaks in the backfield too much, which takes him out of phase. other than that hes fine.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
Aqib Talib
Overview
Talented prospect with rare combination of size, strength and ball skills. As a former receiver, Diggs has an instinctive feel for his opponent's plans and uses his size and athleticism to disrupt the blueprint when possible. The foot agility and short-area burst are good for his size and helped keep completion totals low. He's inconsistent staying in phase with downfield routes and long speed is his kryptonite, causing grabbing and holding when panic sets in. He's a future starting press-man corner with the hands and ball tracking to take it away and should benefit from more help over the top as a pro. Future consideration at free safety is possible considering his size and skill set.
Strengths
  • Elite height, weight and length
  • Size and strength for unique matchup potential against big targets
  • Receivers catch quick jabs or heavy jams from press
  • Fluid and athletic to open and match the route
  • Above-average foot agility for a big cornerback underneath
  • Eyes recognize route-jumping opportunities
  • Little wasted motion to plant, drive and close
  • Wide receiver's instincts and catch talent
  • Used ball skills to make baller interceptions this season
  • Length to become a human shield on 50/50 throws
  • Opportunistic with scoop and score and pick-six in 2019
  • Returned punts and kicks with reasonable success
Weaknesses
  • Upright heel-clicker mirroring release
  • Playmaking mentality can work against him
  • Reacts before properly surveying the situation
  • Loses discipline guarding combo routes
  • Struggles to stay in phase with double moves
  • Long speed is a concern with certain matchups
  • Jersey-tugger when chasing to recover
  • Picked on by LSU and Ja'Marr Chase
  • Had trouble maintaining positioning while tracking deep throws
  • Needs better attention to positioning as open-field tackler

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That was my issue with him. It wasnt that hed never be good but that he wouldnt be good this year.

I do like the pick at 51.

The remote would’ve gone through the TV at 17.

He’s got some issues though but he does have pedigree and maybe the coaches can scheme in a way that keeps him not having to turn much.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was my issue with him. It wasnt that hed never be good but that he wouldnt be good this year.
To me our biggest need at CB was someone that can be a #1 eventually. Diggs MIGHT be that at some point. And if he doesnt become that, he should be a quality #2. After Henderson went off the board, we werent getting a guy we could definitely project as a #1 CB

The Vets aren't great, individually or collectively. But they are passable.

Diggs will probably play 25% to 30% of the snaps in dime. More if someone gets hurt. Maybe he beats someone out in camp and gets that 3rd or 2nd spot. But he is gonna have to earn that

HungryLion

Reaction score
as Zurlien points out, his weakness is staying in phase, but if you study the highlight, its because he's what I call too nosey in man coverage, he peaks in the backfield too much, which takes him out of phase. other than that hes fine.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
Aqib Talib
Overview
Talented prospect with rare combination of size, strength and ball skills. As a former receiver, Diggs has an instinctive feel for his opponent's plans and uses his size and athleticism to disrupt the blueprint when possible. The foot agility and short-area burst are good for his size and helped keep completion totals low. He's inconsistent staying in phase with downfield routes and long speed is his kryptonite, causing grabbing and holding when panic sets in. He's a future starting press-man corner with the hands and ball tracking to take it away and should benefit from more help over the top as a pro. Future consideration at free safety is possible considering his size and skill set.
Strengths
  • Elite height, weight and length
  • Size and strength for unique matchup potential against big targets
  • Receivers catch quick jabs or heavy jams from press
  • Fluid and athletic to open and match the route
  • Above-average foot agility for a big cornerback underneath
  • Eyes recognize route-jumping opportunities
  • Little wasted motion to plant, drive and close
  • Wide receiver's instincts and catch talent
  • Used ball skills to make baller interceptions this season
  • Length to become a human shield on 50/50 throws
  • Opportunistic with scoop and score and pick-six in 2019
  • Returned punts and kicks with reasonable success
Weaknesses
  • Upright heel-clicker mirroring release
  • Playmaking mentality can work against him
  • Reacts before properly surveying the situation
  • Loses discipline guarding combo routes
  • Struggles to stay in phase with double moves
  • Long speed is a concern with certain matchups
  • Jersey-tugger when chasing to recover
  • Picked on by LSU and Ja'Marr Chase
  • Had trouble maintaining positioning while tracking deep throws
  • Needs better attention to positioning as open-field tackler

Could be one of those things that just comes with experience and coaching right? He didn’t play defense until college if I remember what I read. So he is still on the raw side.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Talented player that plays the ball well and not afraid to challenge the receiver. Seems he'll bite on double moves and gets handys down the field sometimes. However, he's only been a full time db for two years so lot of growth potential.

Could see him matching up very well against bigger receivers and should generate turnovers. Like this pick a lot! He'll compete for time this year, but this is really about 2021 when the Cowboys have to make decisions on Awuzie and Lewis.

Dre11

Reaction score
Could be one of those things that just comes with experience and coaching right? He didn’t play defense until college if I remember what I read. So he is still on the raw side.

Yes he played Wr in HS at Avalon School here in Gaithersburg,md. He needs confidence and discipline and that comes with experience. Heavy film study of his opponents to pick up tendacies will also help.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I am shocked by that whole “interception” thing...not familiar with the concept these past few years. Not sure what to make of it. :huh:

Being intercepted means that something is going from one place to another, but it is captured by someone along the way. Like in football - the quarterback throws the ball to the receiver, but before he gets it, someone on defense takes it. Or the FBI can intercept a call between two criminal, meaning they listen in.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bama does better Safety's than CB's but when you can put 11 5 star recruits on your D every year and back them up with 4 and 5 stars, you don't have to coach everybody up all the way. The raw talent is there or he wouldn't be starting for that team because the HC is a D guy. Probably, along with Venable, 1 of the top 2 in college football.

The one thing Bama was lacking this year was that killer DL and front 7 that makes it so much easier on the secondary.

Silverstar

Reaction score
The fact that Diggs hasn't played CB his whole career just means he's nowhere near a finished product and still has a ton of upside IMO.
No better program on defense to come from than Bama for a player transitioning from offense like Diggs has.
He got 3 INT's and a pick six last year and his technique is only going to get better with more coaching.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I don’t know...

I think the physical tools are there, but a bit raw and the penalties will come down with coaching/technique improvements.

Granted, that was just a highlight video, but looked promising.