Video: Trevon Diggs in coverage

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
The fact that Diggs hasn't played CB his whole career just means he's nowhere near a finished product and still has a ton of upside IMO.
No better program on defense to come from than Bama for a player transitioning from offense like Diggs has.
He got 3 INT's and a pick six last year and his technique is only going to get better with more coaching.

Only thing that scares me with all this used to be a WR talk makes me think of Mo Claiborne....bad memories.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Only thing that scares me with all this used to be a WR talk makes me think of Mo Claiborne....bad memories.

Mo's problem was he just couldn't stay healthy and that really hurt his development as with any young player.
Also, he started out with 3-4 Rob Ryan at DC in 2012, than got old man Monte Kiffin in 2013 after Ryan was fired, and then Marinelli took over in 2014.
Out of a possible 80 games with the Cowboys he played in 47 and started 38...less than half.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s a player with all the tools and good recognition that’s only played CB for three years. He’s got legitimate upside and can step in right away and take CB4 snaps and give you solid injury replacement depth.

We’re lucky he was there.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
For me...

Plays the ball well.,

Looks good when things are in front of him.

Negatives: He turns about like Jaylon does. He will probably give up a lot of big plays and you won’t want him matched up on quicker Wide outs because he can be turned easy.

Needs a lot of technique work.
Have to remember went to bama as a wr recruit. Has only played corner for 3 years. Has big time room to grow. Hopefully having a pro bowl brother will help his development. But he has good instincts and ball skills 2 things that cant be taught.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think you want him on certain wide outs.

Guys that can start and stop quickly.. Guys who can cut on a dime quickly.

I think he gives you a good match up on bigger wide outs.

If he has a safety behind him I think he’ll do fine.

We really need a rangey safety.
I disagree.

Trevon Diggs has the athleticism to become even better with proper coaching. Remember, he was a WR through high school and beginning college, so what talent you see from him as a DB is still not fully developed, yet, he looks pretty good. Sure he is a little grabby and at times can get turned around, but his speed and athleticism help him recover. With proper and better coaching, I believe he can definitely improve his technique and become better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I never considered him that.

He’s just not very smooth or fluid. His hips are stiff.

When things are in front of him he is fine but he turns like a truck.
I read the expert draft grade the DC FO got for him and it was A- and it said hes pro ready and can easily replace BJ possibly day one..he doesnt do any thing super special ie jumping out of the building athletically and with speed but has a solid pro style base in coverage and instincts..basically not a combine hero but a very solid player..

HungryLion

Reaction score
I would also use Diggs as a punt returner. He could be electric and our return game has been garbage for years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
needing more feedback as I didnt watch much if any of him in college..its not like we know all about every pick...curious how first round prospect fell to 51..most experts gave us an A- as he fell to us and at 51 was a great pick.. they also say he can easily replace BJ..that makes me less concerned..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would also use Diggs as a punt returner. He could be electric and our return game has been garbage for years.
thats CEEDEEs job bro our 3rd young WR while learning is the next Dez, he will be the primary PR wile hes adjusting to the nfl..

shabazz

Reaction score
I never considered him that.

He’s just not very smooth or fluid. His hips are stiff.

When things are in front of him he is fine but he turns like a truck.

If he employs Dak’s little “ hip twisty Zumba moves” he can loosen those hipths

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
needing more feedback as I didnt watch much if any of him in college..its not like we know all about every pick...curious how first round prospect fell to 51..most experts gave us an A- as he fell to us and at 51 was a great pick.. they also say he can easily replace BJ..that makes me less concerned..
Fair enough

blueblood70

Reaction score
Watch him cover
He looks back for the ball
As a second round pick it’s a good pick
He will be a solid player with potential to be very good
I hope this new a coaching staff just throws him in the fire and gives him chance to start..not burry him and make him earn a starting spot from dog house like that ole staff we had..

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
But I like what the radio guys (Brugler?) said. Saban just told him, don't worry about technique or back pedal. Just go be an athlete.

Imagine what he could do when he's coached up.
Not saying you're wrong, but I have a hard time seeing Saban ever saying don't worry about technique. We know he's maniacal anyway, and coaching the secondary is his specialty. Maybe if the player was thinking too much and it was in his head like you'd tell any player, I guess.

I think it's a little hard to judge the Bama corners in games just based on that sort of side saddle technique Saban coaches where they don't get down in a stance, line up head up on the WR, and backpedal and turn like you have to in the NFL . They do that side saddle thing and shuffle back as they sort of keep an eye in the backfield. Helps having great talent up front like Bama always does. Not saying he can't do it, just that you don't see it a lot.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
He is a year away. I dont see him beating out the veterans this year

I think he'll start off as our 3rd corner and could be starting by the end of the season. However, I hope I'm wrong and he wows us in camp and claims a starting spot on day one.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Press coverage is his forte but with some coaching he could be a big steal. We even thought about him at 17 so this is something.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He needs to watch his hand usage. Seems to have decent to good ball tracking ability, at least he looks for it. Like others have said maybe just keep him on the outside in year 1 but with a little coaching he'd probably do ok if he had to play more snaps and start. Having a better safety in Dix helps in case he has to play a lot of snaps.