Trivia flashback: from 1994-1996, Dallas' O-line allowed the fewest sacks in the league

Red Dragon

Reaction score
1994: only 20 sacks allowed during entire regular season

1995: only 18 sacks allowed

1996: only 19 sacks allowed

If I'm not mistaken, during all three seasons, Dallas' offensive line allowed the fewest sacks in the league.

Sadly; Dak may get sacked more times this season than those three seasons combined.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, during all three seasons, Dallas' offensive line allowed the fewest sacks in the league.

Sadly; Dak may get sacked more times this season than those three seasons combined.
Aikman attempted 1,258 passes in those 3 seasons.

Dak has attempted 1,414 passes in the past 3 season and that includes 2020 where he missed 11 games. So, Dak has around 200 more pass attempts in 8 less games played.

So, of course Dak is going be sacked more. He's throwing the ball MUCH MUCH more.

fivetwos

Reaction score
But...Dak doesn't need a good Oline. Dak is supposed to make everyone around him better, INCLUDING THE OLINE. That's what a few keep saying around here.
I think weve heard that term thrown around in pro sports quite a bit.

What it essentially means is that a player is so good they can overcome others around them that aren't.

There's a very select few that have or had that type of ability. The very best of the very best.

I'm fine with Prescott because finding someone better isn't anywhere near easy, but he also does not belong on that list, and counting on him to be that type is foolish.

A common problem of this FO is thinking our players are better than they actually are, and Prescott probably tops that list.

Jerry is just never going to learn that just because you PAY someone to be something doesn't mean they are going to become that.

The idea that he can win games on his own as a pocket passer is way off. If he doesn't get his legs back into his game I'm not sure if he can get to another level as a winner.

It's shameful because with a pretty good defense and strong running game (and commitment to winning games instead of justifying contracts) this team could be pretty good.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think weve heard that term thrown around in pro sports quite a bit.

What it essentially means is that a player is so good they can overcome others around them that aren't.

There's a very select few that have or had that type of ability. The very best of the very best.

I'm fine with Prescott because finding someone better isn't anywhere near easy, but he also does not belong on that list, and counting on him to be that type is foolish.

A common problem of this FO is thinking our players are better than they actually are, and Prescott probably tops that list.

Jerry is just never going to learn that just because you PAY someone to be something doesn't mean they are going to become that.

The idea that he can win games on his own as a pocket passer is way off. If he doesn't get his legs back into his game I'm not sure if he can get to another level as a winner.

It's shameful because with a pretty good defense and strong running game (and commitment to winning games instead of justifying contracts) this team could be pretty good.

The very best - as you defined them - are called elite. And elite money Dak is payed.

And its not that easy like you want to turn it.
The way you want to put it is like JJ forced Dak to take more money and Dak didnt want to but had to.

No my friend it was the other way around. And thats the main reason why some people here demand Dak to now play to the level of money he demanded. And thats elite. And elite is what you just described. Everything else is not OK and not acceptable.

You wanted us to show you the money. We did. Now show us the elite play. And dont start with that BS like my OL was just good not great, my receiving chor wasnt catching my balls i threw into the ground, the defense wasnt elite blah blah..

How about for example let your team be competitive in the first two quaters and not padding your stats in the last two because the opposing defense starters are already under the shower?

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
fixed that for you.
This is just another misleading stat to try and make it look as if Dak doesn't have a good O-Line to use as an excuse.

Dak passes the ball MUCH more than Aikman ever did. Dak averages almost 100 more pass attempts a season than Aikman did. Take a wild guess at what happens when you throw the ball 100 more times a season? The number would be MUCH MUCH higher if Dak didn't miss most of 2020 as he was throwing the ball a crazy amount that season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is just another misleading stat to try and make it look as if Dak doesn't have a good O-Line to use as an excuse.

Dak passes the ball MUCH more than Aikman ever did. Dak averages almost 100 more pass attempts a season than Aikman did. Take a wild guess at what happens when you throw the ball 100 more times a season? The number would be MUCH MUCH higher if Dak didn't miss most of 2020 as he was throwing the ball a crazy amount that season.
You truly believe Dak has a good Oline RIGHT NOW???

We will find out right away Sunday night.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Troy had a much better oline those years than what Dak is walking into in 2022, but we can't go into the season making excuses. Lets see how this all plays out, and who knows this oline may end up much better than expected. Biadasz in theory should be ready to take the next step in his progression, Smith at LG has a chance to be an upgrade over Connor Williams if he can limit the penalties.

This oline played horrid down the stretch a year ago, but several sacks were also on Dak. He often held the ball too long and post-snap reads were not good. It's a chicken or the egg type of debate as yes those mistakes are more easily corrected when you have reliable oline play up front, but it is fair to note that just because you see a sack it doesn't instantly fall on the oline.

Not saying this to bash on Dak either, but we need to acknowledge that this oline isnt on the elite level anymore, and wont be anytime soon. Really good consistent oline play is pretty rare in the modern NFL, and more conversation is needed around playing with an average Oline instead of just bashing it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys were leading the league in passing by 300 yards over the #2 team in that category at the point Dak was injured in 2020.

They did that with the majority of OTs snaps played by rookie UDFA Steele and 2nd year UDFA Brandon Knight.

There are in better shape on the OL now than then.

NotForLong

Reaction score
But...Dak doesn't need a good Oline. Dak is supposed to make everyone around him better, INCLUDING THE OLINE. That's what a few keep saying around here.
That s not what we are saying . . we are saying Dak has been blessed with greatness on the O Line and has done diddly squat . . . except get himself paid

NotForLong

Reaction score
Aikman attempted 1,258 passes in those 3 seasons.

Dak has attempted 1,414 passes in the past 3 season and that includes 2020 where he missed 11 games. So, Dak has around 200 more pass attempts in 8 less games played.

So, of course Dak is going be sacked more. He's throwing the ball MUCH MUCH more.
The whole league is . . . It's not even the same NFL any more

NotForLong

Reaction score
The very best - as you defined them - are called elite. And elite money Dak is payed.

And its not that easy like you want to turn it.
The way you want to put it is like JJ forced Dak to take more money and Dak didnt want to but had to.

No my friend it was the other way around. And thats the main reason why some people here demand Dak to now play to the level of money he demanded. And thats elite. And elite is what you just described. Everything else is not OK and not acceptable.

You wanted us to show you the money. We did. Now show us the elite play. And dont start with that BS like my OL was just good not great, my receiving chor wasnt catching my balls i threw into the ground, the defense wasnt elite blah blah..

How about for example let your team be competitive in the first two quaters and not padding your stats in the last two because the opposing defense starters are already under the shower?
Truth Bomb just went off . . . Damn you left no one in the Wake

starfan1

Reaction score
That s not what we are saying . . we are saying Dak has been blessed with greatness on the O Line and has done diddly squat . . . except get himself paid
same line romo was blessed with and did diddley. Both QBs had a defense that leaked oil against quality oppnents.This line was most effective 2014-18. Losing Leary was a blow, Losing Tfred was another blow and Tyron has been constantly injured or playing with something since 2017. Fast forward to Biadiasz and Connor williams who has been a downgrade at their spots. Collins had 1 good year got paid and went south.

You guys throw out that 1st round pick crap as if they are plaing like first round picks still. The only one that is plays RG. That said dak needs to overcome it and the jones pathetic management. Romo couldnt maybe hell have better luck.

NotForLong

Reaction score
same line romo was blessed with and did diddley. Both QBs had a defense that leaked oil against quality oppnents.This line was most effective 2014-18. Losing Leary was a blow, Losing Tfred was another blow and Tyron has been constantly injured or playing with something since 2017. Fast forward to Biadiasz and Connor williams who has been a downgrade at their spots. Collins had 1 good year got paid and went south.

You guys throw out that 1st round pick crap as if they are plaing like first round picks still. The only one that is plays RG. That said dak needs to overcome it and the jones pathetic management. Romo couldnt maybe hell have better luck.
Same line Romo was blessed with?

Are you joking . . . Romo only had that line for 1 year . . . 2014 and He had his best year ever and the Cowboys were rolling with Murray . . Then the Cowboys were robbed of one of the greatest plays in a playoff game (Only thing that could stop them)

Then in 2016 Jerry wouldn't give the team back to Romo . . . Because that All time Great O Line made a rookie look good

Come on be honest in your arguments

Cowboy Nation got robbed in 2016 . . It was a waste to give the limited inexperienced QB that Ultimate Weapon

It made Dak the fraud into an Elite paid QB . . . So what Hr doesnt have that greatness to lean on . . Oh well . . . it was a once in a lifetime chance . we all got robbed but Dak got paid

I have no sympathy for him now nor will I cry about the lack of talent knowing thats what Dak needs.

No I will sit back and watch the weekly post game interviews as Dak trys desperately to deflect the blame that will fall on His shoulders this year

No more Excuses . . . Sink or Swim

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Imagine a run first team not giving up a bunch of sacks? Who would have thought that? But run first offenses don't work in today's NFL. Well did today's NFL start in 2017, because the run first 2016 Cowboys won 13 games.

The first thing a run first offense needs is a great offensive line. Because, when working well, a run first offense can make a QB look better. A good run first offense also makes the defense look better. Now, what NFL team doesn't want their QB and their defense playing better? There is only one Tom Brady, so every team should be trying to maintain their balance on offense to cut down on mistakes.

Stopping the run and running the ball is still championship football to this day.

starfan1

Reaction score
Same line Romo was blessed with?

Are you joking . . . Romo only had that line for 1 year . . . 2014 and He had his best year ever and the Cowboys were rolling with Murray . . Then the Cowboys were robbed of one of the greatest plays in a playoff game (Only thing that could stop them)

Then in 2016 Jerry wouldn't give the team back to Romo . . . Because that All time Great O Line made a rookie look good

Come on be honest in your arguments

Cowboy Nation got robbed in 2016 . . It was a waste to give the limited inexperienced QB that Ultimate Weapon

It made Dak the fraud into an Elite paid QB . . . So what Hr doesnt have that greatness to lean on . . Oh well . . . it was a once in a lifetime chance . we all got robbed but Dak got paid

I have no sympathy for him now nor will I cry about the lack of talent knowing thats what Dak needs.

No I will sit back and watch the weekly post game interviews as Dak trys desperately to deflect the blame that will fall on His shoulders this year

No more Excuses . . . Sink or Swim

flozell,Gurode,columbo, davis he had no shortage of pro bowl players or players that were darn good. He still came up short with that line 1 year or not and cmon man whether you agree with that play or not the cowboys still had to give the ball back to aaron and we all know what that result would have been. It was the correct call according to the rules but I aint trying to tie up this thread with that argument. should have taken Beas underneath to eat up more time. I think the bigger problem was the fumble by Murray

That is an honest argument both of these QBs have been failed on the defnsive side of the ball and by Jerry. Youre disdain for dak is because of youre love for the previous QB. I do agree though its time for him to put up or shut up. something Tony wasnt able to do either. and potentially this could be a great defensive club

NotForLong

Reaction score
flozell,Gurode,columbo, davis he had no shortage of pro bowl players or players that were darn good. He still came up short with that line 1 year or not and cmon man whether you agree with that play or not the cowboys still had to give the ball back to aaron and we all know what that result would have been. It was the correct call according to the rules but I aint trying to tie up this thread with that argument. should have taken Beas underneath to eat up more time. I think the bigger problem was the fumble by Murray

That is an honest argument both of these QBs have been failed on the defnsive side of the ball and by Jerry. Youre disdain for dak is because of youre love for the previous QB. I do agree though its time for him to put up or shut up. something Tony wasnt able to do either. and potentially this could be a great defensive club
Not the same O Line . . end of discussion

As far as the packers playoff game . . . you quote the same ol tired argument that Rodgers would have won any way . . . cool story

Romo got robbed the only time He had the Ultimate Weapon . . . you said Romo had the same line . . he did not

starfan1

Reaction score
Not the same O Line . . end of discussion

As far as the packers playoff game . . . you quote the same ol tired argument that Rodgers would have won any way . . . cool story

Romo got robbed the only time He had the Ultimate Weapon . . . you said Romo had the same line . . he did not
2014 Smith,Leary,Frederick.Martin,Free
2016 smith,collins, frederick.martin,free
ya your right big difference there 2014 was better it had the best rushing year from a Dallas cowboy in history. end of discussion. still in denial about that game I see. Romo got robbed.? what about Dez what about Witten what about everyone else?
I dont think they got robbed but if that helps you sleep at night