Twitter: Troy: Dysfunction within the organization

Shane612

Reaction score
Jason Will get over whatever mistreatment he received from Jerry, if any.
$6,000,000.00 per year....... will cure many mistreatment

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry offered him a FO job and Garrett kept crying and making excuses and blaming guys like a Moore and than Jason would get the picture and Jerry finally said, your fired..
Something like that. It’s still done wrong. Announce coach not coming back first,then onto other business whatever that is. Bizarre as usual ...dysfunctional even in announcing firing people. Loooool.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
At this point, based on rumors, I think that it went down like this:

Jerry tells Garret he is gone.
Garret tells Jerry "Hey, give me one more shot. Here me out. Let me give you a powerpoint presentation on why I should stay here."
Jerry says "fine, out of respect for you I'll listen and won't announce it but I'm going to start talking to other people though."
Garret gives his spiel and fails to convince Jerry. Its official after that.

I obviously don't know this to be true but all of the rumors and leaks line up with something like this going down.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Troy is telling Jerry he needs a GM. Troy should be the GM. It would get Jimmy into the ring. Jerry needs to realize how much it would help the organization.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Stephen was adamant that Garrett needed to be released. Jerry was conflicted. In the end, Stephen prevailed. Aikman just needs to shut up. His job is to call games, not be another Stephen a smith. Jerry didn't make this call. Jerry didn't leak info to werder. How can bozotic troy say Jerry disrespected jason when he paid him 6 million yearly for far more years than he deserved.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At this point, based on rumors, I think that it went down like this:

Jerry tells Garret he is gone.
Garret tells Jerry "Hey, give me one more shot. Here me out. Let me give you a powerpoint presentation on why I should stay here."
Jerry says "fine, out of respect for you I'll listen and won't announce it but I'm going to start talking to other people though."
Garret gives his spiel and fails to convince Jerry. Its official after that.

I obviously don't know this to be true but all of the rumors and leaks line up with something like this going down.

Good point...……....we do know a couple of facts that back up this happening.

1. Jerry said he was committed to change when the season ended.
2. Glazer who is well connected reported that Garrett was "campaigning for his job". Well you dont campaign for your job unless you are told you no longer have the job. So message was conveyed to Garrett he was out as head coach, but Garrett waged some sort of campaign to get Jerry and Stephen to change their minds.
3. There were three meetings that took place during the week, allegedly. If Garrett is campaigning to keep his job, obviously these meetings were part of that effort.
4. Team finally starts to interview outside candidates for the job and it is reported that "Jason allowed the Cowboys to fire him", basically meaning he realized his campaign to remain as head coach was not going to work so he gave up.

Oneiros

Reaction score

I've always respected what Aikman had to say regarding the team as he has a unique, and sometimes downright harsh take on what's going on with the team.

It does seem to restate the fact of just how dysfunctional the current state of the Cowboys truly is, which doesn't bode well for any potential new HC candidates.

It's quite difficult to tell just what all went on behind the scenes due to a lack of transparency from the Jones family and then the recent reports of Garrett acting like a jilted lover even after being told they were moving in a different direction.

So much of this could have been easily avoided had they just come out publicly and stated that we were finally moving on rather than waiting a week too long to do so.

I suppose that's the point that Aikman was trying to make.

Blue64

Reaction score

Aikman is staying a fact a and he is not defending his friend but rather stating the obvious.
Is anyone oblivious to the fact that the major news story preceding the 4 wildcard games was the fate of JG? Heck Jerry even broke the news during the final game of Wildcard weekend, this after news during the week that he was interviewing possible replacements.
In addition to the runout that JG was “begging” for his job.
This is Jerrah doing what he does best and why this brand is the most valuable franchise in the world. Win or lose they are always in the media spotlight... always , wether your DE is holding out for a contract instead of getting required surgery, or your RB vacationing in Cabo even though he has 2 years left on his existing contract...
The cowboys and Jerrah are always in the spotlight.
So yes Troy is speaking out against the treatment of his friend, anyone of us would do so even if we all wanted to see him gone.
Why have 3 meetings with him if you’re going to let him go in the end... Media manipulation and speculation...
Heck everyone here thought JG was going to be retained in some form or capacity.
Why go through all this? Why not end it right after season end?
Because Jerrah has to be the center of attention. Period.
Troy is just pointing out what is wrong with this franchise... dysfunction starting at the top, Jerrah and the FO.
Unless Jerrah steps down this team will stay the same and we as fans will never see another SB, regardless of who is coach or any changes.
The only change that will make a difference is cutting off the head of the snake and that is not likely to happen.
So now the media will speculate on JG’s replacement with Jerrah offering little morsels here and there, right up to this years SB where Jerrah will announce a replacement during the 4th Quarter...
It’s Jerrahs world after all..

we need more players like to Troy to step up and speak the truth.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Who isn't "biased?"

We all are biased.

But the words speak for themselves... there is inherent dysfunction in the fact that the organization had not officially separated, and yet had begun interviews.

And does anyone really maintain that Red's problem was that he wasn't giving his all?... lazy bum? I don't think so.

So, nothing wrong with those true colors as far as I can see.

We don’t know what really transpired behind closed doors this past week and neither does Troy. He even hedged in his tweet that he didn’t know.

I think there’s a distinct possibility Jerry/Stephen informed Garrett they were moving in another direction early on but heard Garrett out during these meetings out of respect for him.

With his contract set to expire on 1/14, I didn’t think there was any chance you would hear “the Cowboys have fired Jason Garrett,” again, out of respect for him.

I agree with most of Troy’s criticism of the Jerry and the franchise, but this tweet just sounds like more venting.

visionary

Reaction score
Jason Garrett being hired and retained for this majy years is as much a product of the dysfunction, of not more, than any other example.

Shut up Troy.. you are annoying right now..

I like Troy but this is spot on

lostar2009

Reaction score
He’s gone at Garrett just as hard. As GM Jerry through WM has figured out the personnel side. Jerry’s biggest sin is keeping a puppet head coach like Garrett around. For Troy to now say that Jerry failed Garrett is beyond laughable. Troy is feeling bad for pushing for this firing and now wants to take the side of an ex teammate. The only thing Jerry did wrong RE: Garrett is hiring him in the first place.

Troy didn't push for Garrett being fired. Garrett did it to himself. This was one of the worst piss poor seasons I've seen from this team within the last 15 years. Garrett fired himself when JJ didn't agree to let him coach his final season on his terms.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
None of us know what on earth was going on last week and why they didn’t announce the firing until today so it’s hard to give an opinion.
We all really know why it took so long if you think about it, Jerry wanted to keep Garrett at all cost as the headcoach and he had to be talked out of it by Steven and others in the organization, this is no different than during the draft a few years back that Jerry wanted Johnny Manziel and nobody else in the room wanted him and he had to be convinced Martin was the better pick....jerry is stubbborn, he wants to do things his way instead of the right way...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, its good that a voice Jerry listens to is speaking the truth. I do find it odd that Troy , whose been bashing Garret all year directly and indirectly, is now coming to JGs defense and taking issue with the manner in which he was fired. It seems Troy's real target is Jerry and I don't see the point. Is this a 20 year cathartic release?

lostar2009

Reaction score
From bits and pieces I gathered, it sounded like the Jones were doing JG a favor by not trying to embarrass him by firing him outright after the Sunday's game.
The "JG allowed the Jones to fire him" comment gives us some clues. Jones probably told JG they don't want him anymore but will not fire him publicly and embarrass JG.

JG then try to beg for his job back by asking for multiple meetings to convince the Jones. The Jones said no and probably got sick of JG's shenanigans and leaked the news to Werder so they can move on with the interviews. Hoping JG will finally get the message after seeing the news on ESPN. JG finally realized it was a lost cause and told Jones they can do whatever they want hence the comment "JG allowed the Jones to fire him".

I dunno, but heck the writing was on the wall. JG had zero contract and just coach the team to one of the most disappointing 8-8 seasons ever. If it was me I would've pack my office up after the game and left. Have some respect for yourself.

cowboyed

Reaction score
We don’t know what really transpired behind closed doors this past week and neither does Troy. He even hedged in his tweet that he didn’t know.

I think there’s a distinct possibility Jerry/Stephen informed Garrett they were moving in another direction early on but heard Garrett out during these meetings out of respect for him.

With his contract set to expire on 1/14, I didn’t think there was any chance you would hear “the Cowboys have fired Jason Garrett,” again, out of respect for him.

I agree with most of Troy’s criticism of the Jerry and the franchise, but this tweet just sounds like more venting.

This is the way I perceive it as well. Also Garrett trying to present his points why they should consider keeping him on board is not begging. He just wants to stay with the Cowboys and likely believes he can still turn things around. It is a sad situation at worst but the decision to part ways is a necessary one at this juncture. In the real employment world things are even tougher. You can be let go even if you are doing a good job. It's not a right to hire business world, it is a right to fire world, for no reason unless discrimination is involved or you are violating HIPPA laws.

visionary

Reaction score
Friends of Garrett like Troy and Moose are a BIG BIG reason why we have had to our up with trash Garrett for so long despite repeatedly proved garbage coaching

Troy can criticize Jerry but needs to stop defending his buddy

Einstein

Reaction score
What if it was all communicated between the Jones's and JG that he would get a shot to interview for the head coaching job just like any outside candidate. It was all understood that if the outside people were better in the interview process he would be let go. He did his interviews and then MM and ML were interviewed and it was obvious that JG wasn't ahead of one or both of them so he was let go. Could be there was some method to the madness...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think Garrett was trying to explain to jerry that it wasn't his fault he was saddled with a bad quarterback who wasn't as good as he had thought.