Audio: Troy had some doozies on todays Troy Aikman Show - full show posted here

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by yimyammer, Dec 3, 2019.

1. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

9,149 Messages
    6,145 Likes Received
    You can tell he's as frustrated with Jerry, et al as many of us. He talks about what he feels the problem has been the last 20+ years, thinks things have just gotten worse and its refreshing to hear.

Heres the full show (expresses his exasperation around the 5 minute mark):

2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,026 Messages
    5,602 Likes Received
    I still say he's mostly covering for his BFF Jason. He doesn't like Jerry but he didn't defend other coaches the same way.

Yes, Jerry is a problem, but even Troy slipped and admitted how bad the coaching was in the New England game. That part isn't on Jerry unless you somehow believe Jerry is sabotaging punt blocking and kick returns.

Also, he made it sound like fans get impatient and want a new coach every year. It's been a decade of this guy. A decade.

3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

21,699 Messages
    7,995 Likes Received
    Troy has been hammering JG for two years.

4. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

13,924 Messages
    12,005 Likes Received
    Jimmy J even covered for Garrett somewhat. Jimmy showed class... I AM PROUD HE WAS OUR HC. Good man right there...and you can tell he has some regrets about how it all went down with he and Jerry. ALSO..he regrets being so hard on the players..but in the end, he got the desired results. You cannot coach like that nowadays..lol..the league would ban you. Its a soft league.

DcFootball4, efh313, Seven and 5 others like this.
  5. MrPhil

MrPhil Well-Known Member

1,348 Messages
    1,008 Likes Received
    Lack of real accountability within this organization is all on Jerry.

Bullflop, Floatyworm, Duane and 20 others like this.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

15,917 Messages
    19,211 Likes Received
    Exactly.

7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,902 Messages
    1,303 Likes Received
    Troy gets it.

Bullflop, Floatyworm, heir and 8 others like this.
  8. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

13,924 Messages
    12,005 Likes Received
    too cushy all the way around. The result is to be expected..can't win like that.

DenCWBY and 75boyz like this.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

46,154 Messages
    32,986 Likes Received
    But really, he was hammering Jerry more here.

He says we could fire yet another head coach, but what difference would it make if things don't change at the top.
    He still thinks Jerry undermines the coach. Not on purpose, but just by being Jerry and talking to the press all the time.

10. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

1,289 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    I don;t know how much inside information Aikman is getting these days but he said something that does seem to explain the situation in Dallas. But this, too, we have heard before many times. He said that when Jimmy was their players were accountable to the head coach. After Jimmy left, that changed. As I posted last week, I read somewhere the Barry Switzer complained about the same thing, that players who he tried to discipline were let off the hook by Jerry. Someone else said that Aikman claimed Switzer was the one who didn't want to discipline players so who knows?

But this point Aikman makes explains why we see the same kind of issues in Dallas regardless of who the head coach is or who is on the roster. While we all look forward to the day Jason Garrett is no longer the head coach of this team, the reality is the first change that has to happen is Jerry needs to step back - and I don't think anything but old age or illness is going to make him do that.

yimyammer, gmb1 and pjtoadie like this.
  11. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

21,877 Messages
    14,113 Likes Received
    I think Jerry is willing to have an authoritative head coach if the coach proves worthy of it. He showed that willingness when he hired Bill Parcells. That doesn't mean Jerry is going to shut up, but the model worked because Parcells was a force to be reckoned with. He wanted some things a certain way and that's mostly the way it went. There was give and take on both sides.

This is from an nfl.com article in 2013:

Duane, jjktkk and lockster like this.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,830 Messages
    45,516 Likes Received
    Ready for Jerry to name Troy to some position with the team.

I don't care which position just somewhere in the building.

13. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

4,286 Messages
    2,187 Likes Received
    Jimmy said it best in his interview. He said when he won the first Super Bowl Jerry was off trying to pay back the loan he took out to buy the team so he wasn't too involved. After the first Super Bowl he came in and told Jimmy it was paid back. He also said that playing in Dallas brings so much attention that the players eat the cheese and they haven't really done anything.

Duane, jjktkk, pitt33 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

16,993 Messages
    31,165 Likes Received
    Jerry hires the coaches, Jerry decides whether to fire them or not, but how well the coaches do their jobs isn't on Jerry? If Jerry isn't accountable for those hiring decisions, who is? :huh:

You're rationalizing because we both know Jerry isn't accountable for anything. That's the problem. Everything else is a symptom.

15. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

14,740 Messages
    17,945 Likes Received
    I'd say it's very likely that the Cowboys are a team that's suffering morale problems and lacks confidence in their direction this year. It shows! :rolleyes:

Pantone282C and daboyzruleperiod like this.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

21,877 Messages
    14,113 Likes Received
    I think it will depend on the coach that he gets. If he gets one who has proven success, then I think he'll let him essentially run the show like he did with Parcells. If he brings in an unproven coach, then Jerry will interject himself into the football operations more

17. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

16,770 Messages
    1,723 Likes Received
    Pretty safe to say that neither Jerry or Switzer wanted to discipline players.

18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,026 Messages
    5,602 Likes Received
    No, I've explained this before. They're two separate issues. Jerry is responsible for keeping him this long, of course. But I don't buy that Jerry makes the coach irrelevant as far as doing his job of getting the most out of his team. At the very least, Jerry isn't causing Jason to make rudimentary clock and game management mistakes.

ondaedg, Old'Boyfan, JohnBoy and 3 others like this.
  19. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,684 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Thanks for this, I missed it this morning as it's a snowy mess here in MA.

daboyzruleperiod likes this.
  20. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

25,281 Messages
    17,418 Likes Received
    Jerry NEVER neutered Jason, until Romo’s contract came around and Dallas was in a position dealing with him on the open market. Even then, he still didn’t completely do it, while tolerating Garrett interfering with Callahan as a play caller, who was also making changes in the offense.

Wade was neutered with Garrett, while Jerry was doing everything in his power to make Jason succeed.

Jason, with his incompetence, forced Jerry’s hands. If it was any other coach, Garrett would have been fired. Jerry even went through multiple defensive coordinators for Jason.