Audio: Troy had some doozies on todays Troy Aikman Show - full show posted here

Plankton

Reaction score
So by extension, no other coach could have done any better than two wild card wins in the last 10 years with the talent this team has had.

I just don't see how anyone could actually believe that, but to each his own.

Other coaches absolutely could have.

The bigger question is whether Jerry Jones would be able to check his ego at the door and hire that guy. Unless he got magically lucky and found a unicorn, I don't think he's capable of that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So by extension, no other coach could have done any better than two wild card wins in the last 10 years with the talent this team has had.

maybe, but doubt if anyof them would have won the superbowl. too much dysfunction on this team to be functional! a GM needs to allow the coach to run the show for the team...not meddle in, choose his assistants, allow the assistants to bypass the coach, all of that messes up lines of authority and employees of the company (players) see that, sense that and it leads to dysfunction on the team, lack of accountability the way it should be....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
maybe, but doubt if anyof them would have won the superbowl. too much dysfunction on this team to be functional! a GM needs to allow the coach to run the show for the team...not meddle in, choose his assistants, allow the assistants to bypass the coach, all of that messes up lines of authority and employees of the company (players) see that, sense that and it leads to dysfunction on the team, lack of accountability the way it should be....
You gave all those excuses to the previous coach, right? Oh that's right, no you didn't.

And again, we aren't in the 80s or 90s. Very few coaches are the defacto GM and get to run everything anymore. Those rare coaches have earned that right through past success, and Garrett definitely isn't in that class.

It's funny how once again, when the team is doing well, "Jason built this team." When the team is struggling, he's a victim of, well, everything.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman nailed it. Anyone who really wants to understand why this team hasn't won anything in 24 years should listen.

yimyammer

Reaction score

maybe or maybe not, the point is not to defend Garrett, I'm ambivalent about all coaches as long as jeri insists on running things like he does and under no circumstances do I believe another coach could have won (or will win) a super bowl here under the albatross to winning that is the owner/GM unless he sells, dies or is committed to a home where he no longer has any impact on the organization (however I'm afraid "like father, like sons (& daughter)" will follow in his footsteps)

and I am emphatically stating this will continue with whomever the new coach is as well resulting in no super bowl wins and likely no appearances either, put this in 3 inch letters, bookmark this post and throw it myth face should I ever be proven wrong. I've said this since Super XXX and things haven't changed a bit

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You gave all those excuses to the previous coach, right? Oh that's right, no you didn't.

And again, we aren't in the 80s or 90s. Very few coaches are the defacto GM and get to run everything anymore. Those rare coaches have earned that right through past success, and Garrett definitely isn't in that class.

It's funny how once again, when the team is doing well, "Jason built this team." When the team is struggling, he's a victim of, well, everything.

I challenge you to find a single thread crediting Garret with building anything. Its a strawman argument and simply not true. Garret is just the symptom of an organization that has no idea how to win.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think people are reading into this what they want to see. Aikman's comments in the NE game were that the Special Teams coaching was abysmal, which no one would disagree with. And that fact is ultimately Garrett's responsibility, which no one would disagree with.

Troy thinks Garrett should be given 1000% support by the front office as long as he is in that job. That's great but that isn't the way Dallas (and other teams) work. When Troy says no one should say anything counter to Garrett's comments on questioning Maher - A) Good luck shutting Jerry up and B) they did try out three kickers the next day so the Front Office did do exactly that Garrett wanted (though no doubt it was what everyone wanted).

Aikman's main point is the obvious one, when you have a season where a ton of little things go wrong and you are 2 or 3 wins behind expectations, people get fired. No big surprise there.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Of course he's right. Everyone knows Jerry is the problem, but there's nothing any of us can do about it. Unless the NFL institutes a rule that owners can't be the GM or the Jones sell the team, we're forever screwed as fans.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I wasn't saying for a coach to be a GM...separate roles...however, when the GM constantly over rides the head coach, muddies the lines of authority and creates an atmosphere were lines of accountability are muddled, then it leads to what we are going through...and yes, I gave all those coaches the same treatment. complained about jerry meddling since campo, when jerry insisted on running the draft and we failed one draft after another...….

a coach needs to pick his coaching team. he needs to have the players be accountable to him. he needs to direct everything that's sunday related.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jimmy J even covered for Garrett somewhat. Jimmy showed class... I AM PROUD HE WAS OUR HC. Good man right there...and you can tell he has some regrets about how it all went down with he and Jerry. ALSO..he regrets being so hard on the players..but in the end, he got the desired results. You cannot coach like that nowadays..lol..the league would ban you. Its a soft league.
There is a culture in Dallas of entitlement that starts with Jerry.

Instead of plowing his money into real estate such as AT&T and the Star..

the team should have examined the team and been quicker to restructure the coaches.

They did not so the buildings got built and the team founderd.

From signing Parcells to support building the stadium sales..

To bad hires such as Phillips..

To sticking too long with Tony Romo..

the Jones have shown failure to focus on the most important thing..

Winning games.

On the other hand Will Clay has stabilized drafting and player personnel.

But like they did with Romo before Dak..

Now we are repeating history with signing guys like Dak to poison pill contracts that will kill our future..

Contracts with Cooper who like signing Dez to huge contracts before winning anything first.

We must win before paying all this out.

Last edited:

morat1959

Reaction score
We need more high profile players to speak up about the insanity run circus better known as the Dallas Cowboys. I’ve been calling this team the JJs for 5 years. This isn’t my DALLAS COWBOYS! They’re there somewhere buried in the clown show we put on the field week end and week out for over 20 years. I’m 60 years old. Will I see a 6th trophy????

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Troy is 100% right, we all know that. Total dysfunction. How can this organization not put a premium on special teams??? Games with great teams are often decided by 3 points or less. Field position from your punt teams and the ability to hit a 40yd field goal are imperative to making a run in the playoffs. Front office is just stupid.

erod

Reaction score
What Troy is basically saying is, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

They are set up to fail the minute they take the job. They hold no power whatsoever because Jerry lords over everything.

How many owners give injury reports in the locker room after games? Just one.

Jerry really doesn't want to fire Garrett because he puts up with his crap.

It's as simple as that.

Dre11

Reaction score
I still say he's mostly covering for his BFF Jason. He doesn't like Jerry but he didn't defend other coaches the same way.

Yes, Jerry is a problem, but even Troy slipped and admitted how bad the coaching was in the New England game. That part isn't on Jerry unless you somehow believe Jerry is sabotaging punt blocking and kick returns.

Also, he made it sound like fans get impatient and want a new coach every year. It's been a decade of this guy. A decade.

So why now, why can't this be what he feel. you do this with everything that don't bash Garrett...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
I think Jerry is willing to have an authoritative head coach if the coach proves worthy of it. He showed that willingness when he hired Bill Parcells. That doesn't mean Jerry is going to shut up, but the model worked because Parcells was a force to be reckoned with. He wanted some things a certain way and that's mostly the way it went. There was give and take on both sides.

This is from an nfl.com article in 2013:
Yet twice he overruled Parcells. With T.O and Ware.

Dre11

Reaction score
I do. It's possible to do both things at once. He's been mad at Jerry since his playing days, for sure.

But Friends of Garrett in the media have been a problem here for a long time. Troy, Moose, Babe... even Norm is defending him as I type this.

I guess we should just keep Jason for another 10 years since the coach doesn't matter here. *

*Which again, I don't remember hearing Pre-Jason.

Dude you're reaching. Aikman ain't defending anyone.