Troy Williamson - My thoughts

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
I watched this guy play for the past three seasons. He has added to his game each of the past seasons. I don't know to convey this to words, but there is something special about this kid. He can make the acrobatic catches as well as the normal cacth. I don't recall if he is a hands or body catcher, but he makes the tough catch 10 out 10 times. I cannot recall a time that he has dropped a catchable pass. I'm not saying he hasn't dropped a ball, I am saying that him dropping a pass in very rare. He played in a S. Carolina system ran by Lou Holtz, so he didn't get many chances to showcase, but we given the opportunity he never let the Gamecock faithful down.

He may be the fastest player in this years draft. He checks in about 6"2' and 200lbs. He is a football player, that happend to run track. He is very explosive in the short area and has the top end speed to run through a CB's cushion. The negatives on Troy are: He played in a run first, a run second and and a run on third offense. In other words, he will need to learn a pro style system. He will need to learn how to run routes, set up routes, vary speed and in general become a polished all around WR. He make take a year to accomplish this.

I think in general, most people in the SEC will agree that he is one of the best WR prospects to come along in a while. A three year look back, and I would venture that Troy will be one of the best in this draft class. He most reminds me of Javon Walker from Green Bay. This guy will be a beast...

Quick Facts Sophmore...
Speedster at wide receiver who had a team-leading 31 catches for 428 yards and two touchdowns ... His 99-yard touchdown reception in the win over #15 Virginia was a thing of beauty, as he took the pass from Dondrial Pinkins on a slant pattern and outran the coverage to the end zone ... That play is the longest pass reception in Carolina history and equals the longest play from scrimmage in SEC history

Had a career-long 62-yard kickoff return at Ole Miss

As a true freshman -

Speed demon who burst upon the scene as a true freshman ... In 11 games, he finished with 17 catches for a team-leading 491 yards (28.9 average) and a team-best four touchdowns ... Started five games on the year ... Received his first collegiate start against Temple and responded with four catches for 75 yards, including a 32-yard TD reception from Corey Jenkins ... Came back the following week with four catches for 75 yards, including a 23-yard scoring strike from Dondrial Pinkins against Vanderbilt ... Had another big evening in the win over Kentucky, with three receptions for 101 yards - all in the second half ...

Since I watched this guy, I thought I could provide a brief summary for the board...

FYI, Corey Jenkins the QB for S. Carolina was drafted by the Miami Dolphins...

As a linebacker. You can tell that Troy was surrounded by top notch talent...

Nightshade

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I watched this guy play for the past three seasons. He has added to his game each of the past seasons. I don't know to convey this to words, but there is something special about this kid. He can make the acrobatic catches as well as the normal cacth. I don't recall if he is a hands or body catcher, but he makes the tough catch 10 out 10 times. I cannot recall a time that he has dropped a catchable pass. I'm not saying he hasn't dropped a ball, I am saying that him dropping a pass in very rare. He played in a S. Carolina system ran by Lou Holtz, so he didn't get many chances to showcase, but we given the opportunity he never let the Gamecock faithful down.

He may be the fastest player in this years draft. He checks in about 6"2' and 200lbs. He is a football player, that happend to run track. He is very explosive in the short area and has the top end speed to run through a CB's cushion. The negatives on Troy are: He played in a run first, a run second and and a run on third offense. In other words, he will need to learn a pro style system. He will need to learn how to run routes, set up routes, vary speed and in general become a polished all around WR. He make take a year to accomplish this.

I think in general, most people in the SEC will agree that he is one of the best WR prospects to come along in a while. A three year look back, and I would venture that Troy will be one of the best in this draft class. He most reminds me of Javon Walker from Green Bay. This guy will be a beast...

Quick Facts Sophmore...
Speedster at wide receiver who had a team-leading 31 catches for 428 yards and two touchdowns ... His 99-yard touchdown reception in the win over #15 Virginia was a thing of beauty, as he took the pass from Dondrial Pinkins on a slant pattern and outran the coverage to the end zone ... That play is the longest pass reception in Carolina history and equals the longest play from scrimmage in SEC history

Had a career-long 62-yard kickoff return at Ole Miss

As a true freshman -

Speed demon who burst upon the scene as a true freshman ... In 11 games, he finished with 17 catches for a team-leading 491 yards (28.9 average) and a team-best four touchdowns ... Started five games on the year ... Received his first collegiate start against Temple and responded with four catches for 75 yards, including a 32-yard TD reception from Corey Jenkins ... Came back the following week with four catches for 75 yards, including a 23-yard scoring strike from Dondrial Pinkins against Vanderbilt ... Had another big evening in the win over Kentucky, with three receptions for 101 yards - all in the second half ...

Since I watched this guy, I thought I could provide a brief summary for the board...

FYI, Corey Jenkins the QB for S. Carolina was drafted by the Miami Dolphins...

As a linebacker. You can tell that Troy was surrounded by top notch talent...

Great info.
Thanks for the post.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
I thought I move it back to the top with all the questions around Troy.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I caught the tail-end of an interview involving some official associated with or formerly associated with the South Carolina program... sorry... didn't get his name...

He told ESPN Radio in Dallas that Troy is a FANTASTIC player but that he is very surprised his name is being mentioned as a first rounder...

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I caught the tail-end of an interview involving some official associated with or formerly associated with the South Carolina program... sorry... didn't get his name...

He told ESPN Radio in Dallas that Troy is a FANTASTIC player but that he is very surprised his name is being mentioned as a first rounder...

The stats don't do this kid justice. He has all the physical tools. I'm surprised that anyone associated with S.Carolina would say that about him. He is a model kid, very quite and pleasant. Reminds me of Julius. My wife graduated from S.Carolina, and I’ve been to many games. It is totally out of character for some one from their to bad mouth a player and the program.

He played high school ball in the same conference as my wife’s high school team. I think it’s the same conference as Troy Brown played in high school.

He was the best wide receiver in the SEC this year. Most SEC schools were thankful that Holtz ran (no pun intended) a run happy offense. Watching this guy play for 3 seasons, he is the real deal. I will say this... If Mark Clayton is a 1st round pick, I would say Troy is also. He is that good. He stock will only rise during the combine. The kid has unique speed. Its not deceptive, its scary fast. And he can catch.

trickblue

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
The stats don't do this kid justice. He has all the physical tools. I'm surprised that anyone associated with S.Carolina would say that about him. He is a model kid, very quite and pleasant. Reminds me of Julius. My wife graduated from S.Carolina, and I’ve been to many games. It is totally out of character for some one from their to bad mouth a player and the program.

He played high school ball in the same conference as my wife’s high school team. I think it’s the same conference as Troy Brown played in high school.

He was the best wide receiver in the SEC this year. Most SEC schools were thankful that Holtz ran (no pun intended) a run happy offense. Watching this guy play for 3 seasons, he is the real deal. I will say this... If Mark Clayton is a 1st round pick, I would say Troy is also. He is that good. He stock will only rise during the combine. The kid has unique speed. Its not deceptive, its scary fast. And he can catch.

Oh I have heard nothing but good things about him...

This guy said he will be really special but he has some more developing to do...

I'm certainly not casting a negative image on him... and neither was this guy...

It was just something I heard...

Knowing his athletic ability and speed, I am sure he will jut into the first round after Circus Combine...

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Oh I have heard nothing but good things about him...

This guy said he will be really special but he has some more developing to do...

I'm certainly not casting a negative image on him... and neither was this guy...

It was just something I heard...

Knowing his athletic ability and speed, I am sure he will jut into the first round after Circus Combine...

His best football is ahead of him. He needs a) learn to run routes, b) vary speed to set up routes, c) set up routes with double move etc..

He has a lot of learning to do. But he has two key ingredients down, he is very fast, and he has good hands.

I did not think you were being negative. Just being around S. Carolina, its was odd that some one spoke that way. They (S.Carolina) view themselves as an elite football power-house. I know what you are saying, and I agree - win an SEC and National Champ first. That being said, they go out of their way to promote players and the University. So hearing someone say Troy as a 1st rounder is contradictory to the University overall theme of having the best players come their and play.

Two - Three years down the road, he will be a good player. I think he could be a Jevon Walker type player. Take 2 - 3 years to learn the art of being a receiver and then explode onto the scene.

trickblue

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
His best football is ahead of him. He needs a) learn to run routes, b) vary speed to set up routes, c) set up routes with double move etc..

He has a lot of learning to do. But he has two key ingredients down, he is very fast, and he has good hands.

I did not think you were being negative. Just being around S. Carolina, its was odd that some one spoke that way. They (S.Carolina) view themselves as an elite football power-house. I know what you are saying, and I agree - win an SEC and National Champ first. That being said, they go out of their way to promote players and the University. So hearing someone say Troy as a 1st rounder is contradictory to the University overall theme of having the best players come their and play.

Two - Three years down the road, he will be a good player. I think he could be a Jevon Walker type player. Take 2 - 3 years to learn the art of being a receiver and then explode onto the scene.

I could live with Jevon Walker!

I'm sure somebody else was listening to that this morning... can anyone shed some light on who was being interviewed concerning Williamson on ESPN Dallas earlier today?