True Dallas Cowboys

blueblood70

Reaction score
Please use complete sentences unless you don't want to be understood. Based off what I think you were trying to say, you're saying Jerry infused new life into the organization. I'll give you the part about bringing in Jimmy. Other than that, anyone else with money could have potentially repeated the same thing. We don't owe Jerry anything. For 20 plus years, our team has done nothing. This has all been due to Jerry's leadership. So in my eyes, the sun shines on a dogs butt every now and then. The sun shined on Jerry backside in the early 90's...

NEXT
and he owes you less then nothing. You have a choice follow and appreciate the Cowboys or move on! Very simple, you understand that? like now i just got home from 12hr day and ditn have time i post reply and run out the door..now im in a hurry..wont proof read or check anything. Its a sports forum, ok karen? not a paper im turning in for a college professor.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This may have been posted. However, this is the reason I am a Dallas Cowboys fan and not a Arlington Jonesboy fan:

Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson was meant to be Cowboys

Drew Pearson was and still is Clutch and Class

The Arlington Jonesboys do not have the class and commitment to winning that these TRUE Dallas Cowboys and other TRUE Dallas Cowboys before them had that lead to the world knowing that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team.

That is an amazing historical picture,, thank you for posting this.
This is good stuff and appreciated.

morat1959

Reaction score
NOT true firings and changes happen all the time..its called fall from greatness..look it up..you can never fall without ever peaking ..

the old regime had fallen hard DC INC was in Huge financial shambles and they had been losing for sometime, i mean tickets were being given away at winn dixie to fill seats with every 50 dollar grocery purchase to make sure the league didnt black out our games..
It happens get passed it we owe jerry for those 3 trophies many teams would trade 3 SBS in 4 years for a drought like this because they will never reach those heights..

NEXT
That you Jerry? I see you’re still rooting your horn.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Try all you want but the Jonses brought THREE that 3 in case you couldn't read that, SBs that means Super bowls in their ownership period just what over 30years, the old regime in the same time frame has TWO that 2 so deny it all you want...

No one is denying anything. We're just not giving credit to the old fool who ran Jimmy out of town, and has since bumbled along with his son for 25 years, in order to give ourselves false hope for the future. Maybe that works for you, but some of us can't blow smoke up our own backsides in order to feel better.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This logic makes no sense.

Why does Jimmy get all the credit for those drafts, but the next coaches get none. This is based on an entirely unsubstantiated thought that Jerry did nothing for player acquisition while Jimmy was here, and then did all of it lmao

"lmao" at people desperately trying to convince themselves that old man Jerry has a clue, despite a quarter century of nothing, because it gives them hope. :muttley:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
not chance no one chooses a coach from an old staff for new ownership group thats never ever been more then rumor..

sorry good try though..

FAIL!

Landrys firing/let go? asked to retire by JJ was huge topic around here, so Jimmy was ALL jerry , they were old college teammates and had relationship far easier to connect that dots then you trying real hard to keep the dots connected from the old regime to Jerrys 3 SBS,nope not even 1% close to the truth..

OL really how about the ones we have had since 2013 all pros future HOFs Jimmy scout yelling>? GMAFB AND GTFOOH
This is so full of crap. I don't even know where to begin.

They were not targeting Jimmy to replace Landry. Where did you get this from? Some writer saying it 20 years after the fact? Bum Bright wanted to fire Landry but did not have the heart at the time to do so. He wanted the new ownership though to do it. Jerry said he would fire him as he wanted Jimmy as his coach if he ever bought a team. Jimmy wanted the Dolphins job as it was rumored he may retire. But he dod not ad got a contract extension. So when jerry came along, he accepted.
I lived in South Florida from 84 through 98, so this was what was going around. Jimmy wanted the Dolphins job, it just took him 5 years to get it. If not for Jerry he would have waited until Shula's contract was up.

And Jerry was included in player movement when he 1st took over. He did not sit back and say, It's all yours boys. Oh they were bringing in players left and right, because they could, and they hit on many of them, but were also misses.

You hate Jerry, period. So not wasting anymore time on this.
Go read, go ask, and use common sense that is not common to Arlington Jonesboys fans drinking that Jerry Jones Kool-Aid.

Ask Gil Brandt (Tex Schramm is dead) if they had discussion with and about Jimmy Johnson:
LA Times 1989 - "Landry, 64, had been unable to turn the team around and was under mounting criticism. He and Schramm had been discussing his departure and what Schramm calls “an orderly transition” since 1985, though Landry had begun digging in his heels after the losing seasons of 1987 and ’88. Schramm, looking around, had thought Jimmy Johnson looked promising." So Tex Schramm was looking around for a Head Coach to replace Tom Landry, was talking to Jimmy Johnson, and then drafts Michael "Playmaker" Irvin in the 1st round of the 1988 draft.

Oklahoman 1989 - Regarding Jerry Jones purchase and moving up the time line to replace Landry , "There was a report that Cowboy player personnel director Gil Brandt had talked with Johnson on Thursday about the transaction. But Johnson denied it, saying, "I haven't talked to Gil Brandt in two weeks." - :muttley:

Still not convinced? In the words of NWA "Let's go back. How far back? Way back. Hit IT!!" Sun Sentinal 1995 - "Jankovich said he was interested in interviewing Johnson during the College Football Association convention in Dallas in 1985. But, he said former Dallas Cowboys executive Gil Brandt and Associated Press writer Herschel Nissenson kept assuring him there was no way Johnson would take the UM job, that Johnson would only use Jankovich's interest to get something more from Oklahoma State. They were both close to Johnson." So Tex Schramm in fact talks to Jimmy about being Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys prior to Jones and Gil Brandt is close to Jimmy Johnson.

Put that with the fact that Jerry Jones said that in Jimmy Johnson, "you get 2 for 1" head coach and general manager. Sun Sentinal 1991 - "Just weeks into Johnson's first season he told Wannstedt during a noon jog about the possibility of trading Herschel Walker. A few weeks later, Walker was gone." This was because John Wooten wanted Herschel Walker out of Dallas for going back door to Tex Schramm to force the trade of Tony Dorsett. John Wooten was the person that made the call to Pittsburgh to trade up for Emmitt Smith after working out Tony Dorsett before the 1990 draft for a return to the Cowboys in case he did not get his RB.

"GM" Jimmy Johnson continued to say "While other teams guard their draft choices like precious stones, Johnson deals them like trading cards. "We don't mind trading," Johnson said. "And people are getting to know that."... "Most teams sit and wait to take the best player available when its their turn," Johnson said. "I don't want to do that. I want to move around so I'm assured of getting the player I want and not the one available. You've got to manipulate the draft around where you want to be."

Go read my other post when I reviewed the drafts of Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins compared to Jerry Dumbo GM Jones during the same time. Its not worth my time to make Arlington Jonesboys Kool-Aid drinkers regurgitate the information.

From 1989-1994, Jerry Jones was about included in personnel decision like we were included.... As you remember Jerry Jones asking Jimmy Johnson during the draft to look like he is talking to him or you believe an ego like Jimmy was running to Jerry Jones office about every personnel move he did saying "father may I". The only "we" in personnel decisions was Bob Ackles, Jimmy Johnson, and John Wooten.

Keep drinking your Kool-Aid and ignore the fact that your so called HOF players not drafted by Jimmy Johnson have not seen 1 NFC Championship game since 1995.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Thats a load of garbage.

I understand your confusion, however my post is not a load of garbage - apparently you have you been overcome from emanating vapors after soiling your britches.

It is well documented Jimmy Johnson fell short of expectations when he head coached the Dolphins from 1996 thru 1999. And by the way Jimmy joined the Dolphins under the contractual stipulation that he would be general manager as well.

In that 4 year stretch his overall record was 38 wins to 31 losses. He got the Dolphins into the playoffs a couple of times but his team exited early. After that humiliating loss to the Jaguars (68 - 27) in 1999 he flat out quit and never coached again. Jimmy was burning out, he even admitted that, although he had taken 2 years off from head coaching before joining the Dolphins.

No one denies that Jimmy Johnson was a great head coach. But credit has to be given to Jerry who hired him into the position and provided the necessary staff and player resources. Family or friends at times end up hating each other, particularly if they are alpha males like Jerry and Jimmy as both have an overabundance of ego.

So have Jerry and Jimmy achieved the similar success without each other? Clearly not, and I am not even including the Super Bowl the Cowboys won with Switzer at the helm, after Jimmy left.

jnday

Reaction score
This logic makes no sense.

Why does Jimmy get all the credit for those drafts, but the next coaches get none. This is based on an entirely unsubstantiated thought that Jerry did nothing for player acquisition while Jimmy was here, and then did all of it lmao
Maybe Jimmy gets the credit because Jerry’s involvement consisted of telling Jimmy to act like he was part of the draft process when the cameras was rolling. Jimmy was the brains and Jerry wanted the credit. It is kinda pathetic.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Tex and Gil Brandt had already targeted and discuss with Jimmy Johnson about replacing Tom Landry. Why you think they drafted a very non-Tom Landry like player in Michael Irvin in 1988. The coach was chosen before the owner.

Jerry Jones had no involvement at all in the football personnel decisions which is why Jimmy Johnson had both Bob Ackles, and John Wooten elevated in the personnel department after Gil Brandt was fired. To quote Jerry Jones in a LA times article in 1989 "you get 2 for 1 in Jimmy" Coach and GM.

You or I could have bought the Cowboys and won 5-8 Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles, and John Wooten making all the football decisions. How did it work out for Jerry Dumbo GM Jones when they were fired or left?

I give Jerry the Owner credit for making money for himself and the owners and that is the only reason why he is in the Hall of Fame. Keep the on the field football out of the discussion as there are both preponderance of the evidence and reasonable doubt that Jerry Dumbo GM Jones had nothing to do with what you saw on the football field from 1989-1995 (Larry Allen was drafted by Jimmy's scout Tom Ciskowski yelling in the draft room).

You need to come up with so proof like direct quotes from Tex and Brandt that they were even considering replacing Landry, let alone with Johnson. How many times have you had that dream? It's also obvious that you didn't see the pregame round table for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas where Aikman, Emmitt, Johnston, Irvin, Jones and Johnson discussed several things and where Johnson admitted that he didn't have all the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He also said one thing that really irked him while in Dallas was having to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to decide. After Jones bought the Cowboys and brought in Johnson the very first 2 drafts Jones over ruled who Johnson wanted. In 1989 Johnson wanted to draft Mandadrich because Johnson had a problem with Aikman because he turned down Johnson on a scholarship when Aikman left Oklahoma and in 1990 Johnson wanted LB James Frances and the Cowboys made a trade up with the steelers to get him but about a minute after the trade was made Francis was drafted by the bengals a couple picks ahead of them. So Johnson was then going to take LB Tony Bennett but Jones said no and they took Emmitt. Johnson had the same problem with Emmitt when he turned down a scholarship with Miami.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would defend Jerry. I used to defend Jerry. But the man has given up the farm for magic beans too many times lately. He is clearly a senile old drunk running an NFL team. It is pathetic.

75boyz

Reaction score
Love your post OP. I'm a 70s Landry Cowboy with close to equal love for the Jimmy's 90s era squads as well.

Never ceases to amaze me here to find the strange Jerry support fan base and the other one Jim Morrison guy who criticizes Aikman at any chance because of his Dak love.

I always gotta remember to check listed ages if available for certain members because if under 30, (like the resident know it all crystal ball guy on this board) their only reference point as a Cowboy Fan is this current circus that has evolved over the past quarter century.

So their opinions could understandably be rather skewed.

Again, I enjoy all the shared insight, great post(s).

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand your confusion, however my post is not a load of garbage - apparently you have you been overcome from emanating vapors after soiling your britches.

It is well documented Jimmy Johnson fell short of expectations when he head coached the Dolphins from 1996 thru 1999. And by the way Jimmy joined the Dolphins under the contractual stipulation that he would be general manager as well.

In that 4 year stretch his overall record was 38 wins to 31 losses. He got the Dolphins into the playoffs a couple of times but his team exited early. After that humiliating loss to the Jaguars (68 - 27) in 1999 he flat out quit and never coached again. Jimmy was burning out, he even admitted that, although he had taken 2 years off from head coaching before joining the Dolphins.

No one denies that Jimmy Johnson was a great head coach. But credit has to be given to Jerry who hired him into the position and provided the necessary staff and player resources. Family or friends at times end up hating each other, particularly if they are alpha males like Jerry and Jimmy as both have an overabundance of ego.

So have Jerry and Jimmy achieved the similar success without each other? Clearly not, and I am not even including the Super Bowl the Cowboys won with Switzer at the helm, after Jimmy left.

.........and its clear you have no idea what happened in Miami . You are literally looking at the dolphins from 30k ft overhead and seeing none of the details. So, its not surprising you have drawn an erroneous conclusion. The fact is that Jimmy built the Dolphins defense into the #1 ranked unit in the league and was drafting guys like HOFer Jason Taylor , Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain, and Sam Madison at a time when the Cowboys were going through the worst stretch of drafting in franchise history.

The problem in Miami was not Jimmy Johnson. The reason the team could not succeed had everything to do with a firmly entrenched yet rapidly deteriorating Dan Marino. The owner of the Dolphins would not let Jimmy cut or bench Marino. Jimmy and Marino never got along. So, Jimmy was once again foiled by an owner overreaching their area of expertise. But he STILL managed to achieve success leading Miami to 3 playoff births in 4 years. The cowboys haven't made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years since 1996.

I find it hard to believe that a Cowboy fan would attempt to disparage Jimmy Johnson. But , this board is full of newer fans who can only relate to cowboy success by reading about it. I shouldn't have to defend Jimmy here on this board. His record in the NFL. and his HOF jacket speak for themselves.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Try all you want but the Jonses brought THREE that 3 in case you couldn't read that, SBs that means Super bowls in their ownership period just what over 30years, the old regime in the same time frame has TWO that 2 so deny it all you want, Jerry hired Jimmy they had history..he used his money, leveraged the team that was near bankruptcy and took that 140mil investment that now worth 5billion 3 super bowls etc its his success regardless of what you think Jonses are the DC until further notice..its his Brand period!

without Jerry theres no 3 sbs because there no money and no jimmy..when fans realize that and stop the bs trying to ignore the Jonses success because of the failures in the last 25 years, ignorance must be bliss..

that bs narrative gets old teams all over the NFl have had longer droughts right now flavor of the month KC took 50years tio get back to one..25 pales in comparison to also took Philly 60years too get #1 SIXTY(60) so many teams have not one even one or won won and been as long or longer drought.. there are teams that took 15 years to get to playoff game let alone a SB, umm TB is one.. Cleveland finally gets to Playoff game and this place drools over it how bad were they for 17 years to finally have winning season and layoff berth? LMAO

it happens..

IM not happy about it but come on..i can acknowledge the success was the Jonses buying and assembling that 90s team, they were fuel in the bus that carried us to 3 sbs..
I suggest you try and get your GED.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This may have been posted. However, this is the reason I am a Dallas Cowboys fan and not a Arlington Jonesboy fan:

Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson was meant to be Cowboys

Drew Pearson was and still is Clutch and Class

The Arlington Jonesboys do not have the class and commitment to winning that these TRUE Dallas Cowboys and other TRUE Dallas Cowboys before them had that lead to the world knowing that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team.

The last sentence on Troy's tweet almost sent me to the floor.
Excellent comedy!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The last sentence on Troy's tweet almost sent me to the floor.
Excellent comedy!
I would love to know the rest of that story,, why did Troy have to barrow some shorts?
From the little kid,, it couldnt of been from Jimmy, he would have needed a belt..lol
I wish I had this pic framed and hung on the wall with my collection.

Motorola

Reaction score
I would state that Jerry and Jimmy were a dynamic force together as proven by neither having the sustainable success they envisioned when both parted ways.
But after four seasons with the Dolphins, Johnson left the coaching ranks for good and returned to FOX Sports. Jones, meanwhile.....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson could've been the first Bill Belichick if Jerry wasn't jealous that he was getting the credit.

Jimmy had ingrained that win at all cost mentality within the team, something that hasn't been seen since he was let go.

I don't think Jimmy had the stamina to last as long as Belichick, but Jerry/Jimmy had a 4peat and the greatest team of all time in their grasp and *blew it*. Sad.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I would love to know the rest of that story,, why did Troy have to barrow some shorts?
From the little kid,, it couldnt of been from Jimmy, he would have needed a belt..lol
I wish I had this pic framed and hung on the wall with my collection.
I believe it was just a joke because the shorts are so small, not that the kid actually loaned him a pair of shorts.