True Dallas Cowboys

cowboyed

Reaction score
.........and its clear you have no idea what happened in Miami . You are literally looking at the dolphins from 30k ft overhead and seeing none of the details. So, its not surprising you have drawn an erroneous conclusion. The fact is that Jimmy built the Dolphins defense into the #1 ranked unit in the league and was drafting guys like HOFer Jason Taylor , Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain, and Sam Madison at a time when the Cowboys were going through the worst stretch of drafting in franchise history.

The problem in Miami was not Jimmy Johnson. The reason the team could not succeed had everything to do with a firmly entrenched yet rapidly deteriorating Dan Marino. The owner of the Dolphins would not let Jimmy cut or bench Marino. Jimmy and Marino never got along. So, Jimmy was once again foiled by an owner overreaching their area of expertise. But he STILL managed to achieve success leading Miami to 3 playoff births in 4 years. The cowboys haven't made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years since 1996.

I find it hard to believe that a Cowboy fan would attempt to disparage Jimmy Johnson. But , this board is full of newer fans who can only relate to cowboy success by reading about it. I shouldn't have to defend Jimmy here on this board. His record in the NFL. and his HOF jacket speak for themselves.

I am not disparaging Johnson. I stated he was a great coach. He fell short of his goals to win a Super Bowl with the Dolphins. That is not colossal failure and it is not spectacular success either. I started out simply posting that when both Jerry and Jimmy were together that they were a force to be reckoned with in the league and that NEITHER have reached their goals or level of success since they were the dynamic duo.

If you want to give more credit to Jimmy during his tenure with the Cowboys than Jerry - well that is not my argument! But clearly, Jerry hired Jimmy, and he gave Jimmy the coaching staff and player resources to help win Super Bowls. Jerry does deserve credit for that - or did Jimmy buy the Cowboys franchise, work up all the contracts, and paid for all the personnel season in, season out?

Who knows what Jimmy would have been able to accomplish had he not had enough of coaching and general managing a football team after 4 years back in the league. Don't forget winning got a lot tougher in the emerging era of the salary cap and free agency back in the 90s.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
But after four seasons with the Dolphins, Johnson left the coaching ranks for good and returned to FOX Sports. Jones, meanwhile.....

I don't disagree, Jimmy was a great head coach, but he fell short of his goals of winning a Super Bowl with the Dolphins. That's what he went to the Dolphins to do, and he thought that could happen sooner than later if he also was the general manager. Jimmy and Jerry won Super Bowls together and I don't doubt that if they didn't part ways they would have won more Super Bowls. Correct, Jimmy left the coaching ranks for good and joined Fox Sports. He was burnt out on football and that last season with the Dolphins didn't help matters. Jimmy reminds me a lot of Bill Parcells. They had no problems moving on whether they win or lose with whatever team. Nothing wrong with that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"lmao" at people desperately trying to convince themselves that old man Jerry has a clue, despite a quarter century of nothing, because it gives them hope. :muttley:
lmao at thinking something that happened in 1996, but not 1995, is relevant to predicting what's going to happen in 2021.

If you don't even have hope, why are you here? Why do you watch? Like...just log off.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Maybe Jimmy gets the credit because Jerry’s involvement consisted of telling Jimmy to act like he was part of the draft process when the cameras was rolling. Jimmy was the brains and Jerry wanted the credit. It is kinda pathetic.
Ok fine. I don't care.

But why all of a sudden do we think Jerry did the exact opposite after Jimmy left. lol.

I would love someone to sit here and tell me that that Jerry had no input or approval on both the decision to execute and the return for the Herschel Walker trade.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is malarkey. Jimmy was already national championship winning coach before he ever joined the oil man.

Jimmy not being able to drag what was left of Dan Marino beyond the first round of the playoffs does nothing to validate Jerry as a football guy. Jerry spending 25 years floundering - 20 of which Jimmy has spent in a TV studio - is a true testament to the "dynamic force" of Mr. Jones.

Jimmy was not only HC of the Dolphins he was GM, so this non sense of Marino was the reason is complete BS. GM have the authority to release and replace. It is fact Jimmy did not hire Jimmy to Dallas it was Jerry who made the call and it was Jerry who took the heat of brining in a college coach to replace Tom Landry.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You need to come up with so proof like direct quotes from Tex and Brandt that they were even considering replacing Landry, let alone with Johnson. How many times have you had that dream? It's also obvious that you didn't see the pregame round table for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas where Aikman, Emmitt, Johnston, Irvin, Jones and Johnson discussed several things and where Johnson admitted that he didn't have all the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He also said one thing that really irked him while in Dallas was having to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to decide. After Jones bought the Cowboys and brought in Johnson the very first 2 drafts Jones over ruled who Johnson wanted. In 1989 Johnson wanted to draft Mandadrich because Johnson had a problem with Aikman because he turned down Johnson on a scholarship when Aikman left Oklahoma and in 1990 Johnson wanted LB James Frances and the Cowboys made a trade up with the steelers to get him but about a minute after the trade was made Francis was drafted by the bengals a couple picks ahead of them. So Johnson was then going to take LB Tony Bennett but Jones said no and they took Emmitt. Johnson had the same problem with Emmitt when he turned down a scholarship with Miami.
I don't need to do anything. Everything you posted has been proven wrong so many times over the last +25 years most of what you stated is just ridiculous. Therefore, you go look it up. The truth will set you free from Jerry Dumbo GM Jones revisionist history, and its public information.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't need to do anything. Everything you posted has been proven wrong so many times over the last +25 years most of what you stated is just ridiculous. Therefore, you go look it up. The truth will set you free from Jerry Dumbo GM Jones revisionist history, and its public information.

I see so when Johnson admitted those things on live TV in front of millions of views he was just kidding? Just because it goes against what you think does not make it not true. I'm not a big Jones fan but I also saw that pregame so I don't think anyone said anything that wasn't true. On the other hand I've never heard or read a direct quote from Tex or Brandt saying ANYTHING you say they did.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jimmy was not only HC of the Dolphins he was GM, so this non sense of Marino was the reason is complete BS. GM have the authority to release and replace. It is fact Jimmy did not hire Jimmy to Dallas it was Jerry who made the call and it was Jerry who took the heat of brining in a college coach to replace Tom Landry.

So let me get this straight: Jimmy is going to walk into Miami and cut Dan Marino. Never mind the Dolphins didn't have the cap room for such a move, they also only had one of the first 50 picks in the draft. There was no replacing Dan Marino at that time. To suggest otherwise is the real BS. In two years Jimmy built the Dolphins defense from 17th to to 1st by drafting guys like Jason Taylor, Patrick Surtain, and Zach Thomas. Meanwhile, Marino's play declined each season.

Indeed, it was merely coincidental that Jerry's only real success in Dallas came with Jimmy at his side. Jerry the mastermind put together a championship team with no actual football experience and took Jimmy along for the ride. Strangely, since Jimmy left Jerry hasn't been able to recapture that magic touch despite now having decades of experience.

The smartest decision Jerry ever made was hiring Jimmy. The dumbest was thinking he could do it by himself a few years later.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So let me get this straight: Jimmy is going to walk into Miami and cut Dan Marino. Never mind the Dolphins didn't have the cap room for such a move, they also only had one of the first 50 picks in the draft. There was no replacing Dan Marino at that time. To suggest otherwise is the real BS. In two years Jimmy built the Dolphins defense from 17th to to 1st by drafting guys like Jason Taylor, Patrick Surtain, and Zach Thomas. Meanwhile, Marino's play declined each season.

Indeed, it was merely coincidental that Jerry's only real success in Dallas came with Jimmy at his side. Jerry the mastermind put together a championship team with no actual football experience and took Jimmy along for the ride. Strangely, since Jimmy left Jerry hasn't been able to recapture that magic touch despite now having decades of experience. But hey, if lying to yourself about Jerry gives you hope then knock yourself out. Just don't try to rationalize it to me.

The smartest decision Jerry ever made was hiring Jimmy. The dumbest was thinking he could do it by himself a few years later.

I'm saying Jimmy was in charge period, he had full control over players and contracts. You want to make excuses fine, bottom line Jimmy did not do crap after he left Dallas. Jerry and Jimmy together were able to do a lot. As Aikman said Jimmy talked about if we won championship there would be enough credit to go around yet Jimmy was unwilling to share the success he had under Jerry. Again Jimmy did not hire Jimmy to Dallas and all contracts at that time were done by Jerry. When Irvin wanted to be paid like Rice Jerry told him when you play like Rice you will get paid like Rice, Irvin did just that and Jerry paid him as such. Same with Emmitt wanting Barry Sanders money. There are many things I will disagree with on Jerry but I will always give credit where it is due. I'm not going to sit there and act as if he never did anything had no hand in it. If you choose to then have at it I really do not care. Jerry never tried to do it himself he relied on Jimmy boy Larry Lacewell, the only reason Lacewell was in Dallas to begin with it was because of Jimmy and when Jimmy left for the Dolphins and Lacewell did not join him Jimmy got pissed and it ended their friendship

basel90

Reaction score
Tex and Gil Brandt had already targeted and discuss with Jimmy Johnson about replacing Tom Landry. Why you think they drafted a very non-Tom Landry like player in Michael Irvin in 1988. The coach was chosen before the owner.

Jerry Jones had no involvement at all in the football personnel decisions which is why Jimmy Johnson had both Bob Ackles, and John Wooten elevated in the personnel department after Gil Brandt was fired. To quote Jerry Jones in a LA times article in 1989 "you get 2 for 1 in Jimmy" Coach and GM.

You or I could have bought the Cowboys and won 5-8 Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles, and John Wooten making all the football decisions. How did it work out for Jerry Dumbo GM Jones when they were fired or left?

I give Jerry the Owner credit for making money for himself and the owners and that is the only reason why he is in the Hall of Fame. Keep the on the field football out of the discussion as there are both preponderance of the evidence and reasonable doubt that Jerry Dumbo GM Jones had nothing to do with what you saw on the football field from 1989-1995 (Larry Allen was drafted by Jimmy's scout Tom Ciskowski yelling in the draft room).
did not know Tex was targeting jimmy before jerry was on board. Is this a fact ? was Tex set on firing Landry ? because i heard he was critical of the landry firing .