Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
With the players we have available right now we cannot consistently stop the run. We cannot consistently run the ball. We are playing our 3rd string tackles. We give up the most points in the NFL. Our defense lacks talent and does not work together because our DC is terrible.

Of course players and coaches want to win every game, because they are actually playing and coaching in the games, but fans, are sitting in their easy chairs just watching the games. Fans have the ability to root for what is best for their team’s future. Some fans, most fans are very short sighted and want instant gratification. So regardless of the circumstances,( see above: we can’t stop the run or run consistently etc.) most fans always want their team to win every game.

I’m not one of these fans. I am a realist. I realize our team has, a snow balls chance in hel_ of making a run in the playoffs. I’m willing to delay my gratification this year, when it comes to team wins, ( I cheer for individual plays and players) to improve our chances of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If we lose our last 2 games, hopefully in competitive games, we still have a chance for the 4th pick in the draft according to Tankathon stats. ( Carolina needs to beat Washington=50/50, Atlanta needs to beat Tampa Bay=50/50, Houston needs to beat the Bungles=90/10

If we win 1 more game we will be picking between 10-13.

We need the 4th or 5th pick in the draft to give us more options( trade back, etc. ). We need new starters from the draft because we won’t be able to afford many Free Agents. We will come back strong next year with a healthy team and a bunch of early round draft picks!

Losing a couple close games now, helps our team win BIG in the future. Don’t settle for late season wins, (this makes Jerry so happy) which really do hurt our future!

Are you a Realist or a Fanatic?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Give it up man, even if this team lost and ended up with the 4th or 5th pick we are missing the most important piece of the puzzle which is a competent GM who knows how to build a winner. Instead we have a geriatric moron whose knowledge of football wouldn't fill the skull of a fruit fly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Winning football games is always better. Higher draft picks while a consolation for losing doesn’t guarantee anything and why most bottom dweller teams stay on the bottom with few exceptions until they get a GM or HC who know how to evaluate and build a team.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Winning football games is always better. Higher draft picks while a consolation for losing doesn’t guarantee anything and why most bottom dweller teams stay on the bottom with few exceptions until they get a GM or HC who know how to evaluate and build a team.
I’ll have to disagree. We lose 2 close games and a few teams win we have the 4th pick in the draft, not the 11-13. That is a huge difference in draft capital. This year especially, it will be important to pick early. Very hard to evaluate players sitting out due to Covid.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Give it up man, even if this team lost and ended up with the 4th or 5th pick we are missing the most important piece of the puzzle which is a competent GM who knows how to build a winner. Instead we have a geriatric moron whose knowledge of football wouldn't fill the skull of a fruit fly.
I agree regarding Jerry, but he has started to take a back seat. Our draft was da_ good last year. Maybe we can do it again! We need to.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Best future for the team? The future doesn't start until Jerry is 6 feet under. There just isn't any other way this 25 year trend of suck will end until that happens.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I agree regarding Jerry, but he has started to take a back seat. Our draft was da_ good last year. Maybe we can do it again! We need to.

1. You won't know how good this draft was until you are 3 years out. Simply looking at Lamb as some great prize is rather short sighted.
2. Jerry isn't taking a back seat to anyone

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score

Really? How has that been working out for us?

I agree we need a competent GM but the talent at 20 v 5 in the first round is usually significant.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Really? How has that been working out for us?

I agree we need a competent GM but the talent at 20 v 5 in the first round is usually significant.

It's only significant when the person doing the picking and building of the team knows what he is doing. Jerry doesn't. The idiots he has surrounded himself are equally incompetent.

75boyz

Reaction score
Some here believe that high draft picks dont impact future team success.
While doing so they also criticize others who don't share their opinion that this year's team has a chance at Super Bowl success.

All the while questioning fanhood and calling others quitters as though they have some skewed moral high ground that they cheer from.

It's not even worth trying to explain to the ignorant anymore.

Jerry's cultural status quo disease effects not only all his family and their organizational roles, but also coaches, players and even the CZ fan base.

I'm thankfully immune.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ll have to disagree. We lose 2 close games and a few teams win we have the 4th pick in the draft, not the 11-13. That is a huge difference in draft capital. This year especially, it will be important to pick early. Very hard to evaluate players sitting out due to Covid.
No one is arguing that.

The best franchises stay on top without the highest picks. How do you explain that?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
With the players we have available right now we cannot consistently stop the run. We cannot consistently run the ball. We are playing our 3rd string tackles. We give up the most points in the NFL. Our defense lacks talent and does not work together because our DC is terrible.

Of course players and coaches want to win every game, because they are actually playing and coaching in the games, but fans, are sitting in their easy chairs just watching the games. Fans have the ability to root for what is best for their team’s future. Some fans, most fans are very short sighted and want instant gratification. So regardless of the circumstances,( see above: we can’t stop the run or run consistently etc.) most fans always want their team to win every game.

I’m not one of these fans. I am a realist. I realize our team has, a snow balls chance in hel_ of making a run in the playoffs. I’m willing to delay my gratification this year, when it comes to team wins, ( I cheer for individual plays and players) to improve our chances of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If we lose our last 2 games, hopefully in competitive games, we still have a chance for the 4th pick in the draft according to Tankathon stats. ( Carolina needs to beat Washington=50/50, Atlanta needs to beat Tampa Bay=50/50, Houston needs to beat the Bungles=90/10

If we win 1 more game we will be picking between 10-13.

We need the 4th or 5th pick in the draft to give us more options( trade back, etc. ). We need new starters from the draft because we won’t be able to afford many Free Agents. We will come back strong next year with a healthy team and a bunch of early round draft picks!

Losing a couple close games now, helps our team win BIG in the future. Don’t settle for late season wins, (this makes Jerry so happy) which really do hurt our future!

Are you a Realist or a Fanatic?

I'm a realistic fan that wants and hopes the Cowboys win every game and accept where that puts them in the draft. As I've said many times there are many many more HOFers that were drafted after the 5th pick in the draft proving that teams can get better picking outside the 5th pick. This foolish idea that only picking in the top 5 or 10 is the absolutely only way a team gets better is just that foolishness. The browns picked in the top 5 for a couple of decades and what did it get them. The same with the jets.

75boyz

Reaction score
Give it up man, even if this team lost and ended up with the 4th or 5th pick we are missing the most important piecmisee of the puzzle which is a competent GM who knows how to build a winner. Instead we have a geriatric moron whose knowledge of football wouldn't fill the skull of a fruit fly.

While I agree with the wrong guy doing the picking premise I can't help but think that the availability of the higher choice offers at least a 50-50 probability that the available player could be chosen.

No matter if it is the braintrust of Jerry and Son doing the picking.

I would at the very least like the opportunity to choose the higher ranked player if available vice a lower ranked player.

I believe the issue of who's doing the picking and them making the right choice is a separate issue from simple availability of the right guy.

In other words, the higher ranked guy on your board has to be available in the first place before he can be chosen or not.

The higher the pick the better even with ALL these factors being considered imo.