Trysten Hill - A top 3 player on the Cowboys Defense

quickccc

Reaction score
While a future 3T rotation of Hill and Gallimore could be really, REALLY good, I still think they need a true 1T/NT next to them to enhance their games. I’m talking about a legit 1T that commands double teams on every snap and, yet, can hold his ground and even get the pocket pushed every play.

You know, a Casey Hampton/Vince Wilfork/Ted Washington type.

- if Nolan is still DC, i think we will eventually convert to a 3-4 scheme which mean acquiring a quality NT, which would make Hill and Gallimore the 3-4 ends..
but the question would be if Hill and Gallimore would be idea 2 gap, 3-4 DEs ?
i know one or another have been " spotted" as occasional 1 tech as a NFL rookie or in college/camp but neither is an ideal 1 tech type.
They are better suited to be shooting gaps as pass rushers as 3 techs.

- Poe may not be here long term, he's off to a slow start, hasn't played well a all and few snaps he gets hes' a non factor
- he's already having his issues just trying to get back into shape, (no OTAs or conditioning program had to contributed to that)

but who knows how long that would be, and he's been one that only plays according to his motivation
he's play can be up and down and its only a 2 year contract that could or not be picked up after year one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- if Nolan is still DC, i think we will eventually convert to a 3-4 scheme which mean acquiring a quality NT, which would make Hill and Gallimore the 3-4 ends..
i know one or another have been " spotted" as occasional 1 tech as a NFL rookie or in college/camp but neither is an ideal 1 tech type.

- Poe may not be here long term, he's off to a slow start, hasn't played well a all and few snaps he gets hes' a non factor
- he's already having his issues just trying to get back into shape, (no OTAs or conditioning program had to contributed to that)

but who knows how long that would be, and he's been one that only plays according to his motivation
he's play can be up and down and its only a 2 year contract that could or not be picked up after year one.

Nolan is already playing his defense.

It is a multiple front defense.

They play both 4-3 and 3-4. The DEs in the 4-3 or 4-2-5 often stand-up but those snaps are still a 4-3 with the DEs being Stand-up DEs not OLBs.

Even if the stand-up DEs drop into short zone coverage, it's basically the same as standard 4-3 or 4-2-5 defenses using zone blitzes which is not new.
- Buddy Ryan liked to use zone blitzes back in the early nineties with his 4-3 defense in Philly.
- Side Note: DT A.Woods dropped into coverage on 1 play in the Falcons game.

The 3-4 is a run defense alignment. They played more 3-4 vs the Rams than vs the Falcons.

They play Aldon Smith as a 4-3 OLB which makes it a big 4-3.
- He plays DE in the 4-2-5 Nickel. It can be hand-down or stand-up DE but it's a 4-man DL concept.
- Randy Gregory will also be a perfect fit in this role.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Poe has been OK. Not great, but OK.

DL have to move sideways vs zone run blocking.
- They can't just anchor down as an immovable object.

Poe does get fatigued at times which results in a few less than ideal snaps.

A.Woods only played 29% of the snaps compared to 47% for Poe.
- If Poe was a problem they would give Woods more snaps.

Gallimore has played more snaps as a 3-4 DE than 4-3 DT.
- Hill plays both.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s true. He is at 39 and 39.5 pct of the defensive snaps. Clearly he is earning more. I am still iffy on his make up but he has gotten much better this season. Let’s hope he gets more snaps and keeps it up. They really need him to pan out.

Hill's snaps:

Rams
Snaps: 39
Percent: 53%

Falcons
Snaps: 39
Percent: 52%

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have never felt Hill did not have the talent to be a top NFL DT, the only thing that has hurt him as been attitude and motivation. It got him in trouble in college where he saw his playing time cut and it seems to be a reason it hurt him last season. Maybe Hill has gotten to a point where he is determined to play to the level of his physical talent

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never felt Hill did not have the talent to be a top NFL DT, the only thing that has hurt him as been attitude and motivation. It got him in trouble in college where he saw his playing time cut and it seems to be a reason it hurt him last season. Maybe Hill has gotten to a point where he is determined to play to the level of his physical talent
I must have read that stat wrong. Still he has probably earned more snaps.

Hill was OK in the snaps that he played last season. He just didn't play many snaps.

Hill in 2019 was similar to Gallimore this season.

The difference is the coaching staff...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hill was OK in the snaps that he played last season. He just didn't play many snaps.

I would just say we needed more than OK. I would be more inclined to put it on the previous staff if not for his action like falling asleep during meeting and his college days at UCF where his lack of maturity hurt him in his last season there. I think he has the talent and I am not trying to come down on him but I think part of the issues with Hill had a lot to do with his own lack of maturity. Right now all I care to see is what he is doing here and now, what is in the past is past. Believe me when I say I am on his side

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Shows just how bad the defense has been when Hill has been one of the top three best performers this season. He’s shown some flashes but he’s had his share of issues upfront. We have no choice but to play him because of McCoy’s injury. The fact that Hill is playing makes him look a lot better to fans. Last season he wasn’t even good enough to suit up for games.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I like Gallimore’s makeup much better. Hill still scares me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Being in the top three best performing players on our defense isn’t saying much. Our DL has sucked the first couple of games. The best player on our defense hadn’t played football in five years. That tells you the lack of talent we have on defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The two best players on our defense this season is a player who hadn’t played football in five years and a rookie who’s been beaten several times. Where’s our highest paid player in franchise history rank this season? lol

quickccc

Reaction score
Hill isn't there yet, he still gets bullied some vs run, and can get turned sideways too easily ..but remember that he is finally getting serious developmental
reps and experience. This is the rookie year he didn't really received under Marinelli tirade.

- He's clearly be coached up better by Tomsula and Lett - and he's in a more run disciplined scheme. What also helps greatly
is he's re-programmed himself, and playing with a prove 'em wrong chip on his shoulder with his critics, several of here on this board that wanted him cut, wanted him out, blasted him as being a bust pick. And it's not ironic that those critics have been silent here for the most part.

- The previous DL coach Marinelli practically shut him down his rookie year.
So between him being bamboozled by his last coaching stints as Central Florida denied him his requested transfer to Nebraska,
..and Marinelli didn't handle him properly, he's pleasant to see how Trysten is showing up in these last two games. He's practically been our best
DT overall.

- Hill is displaying his athletic traits and lateral quickness, i've seen Hill in the backfield more than any vet DTs we have. Techniques and awareness wil only get better the more experience he gains.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our top three defensive players this season wouldn’t even be starters on a real good defense. There were a couple in the media that said Jaylon has been our best defensive player this season while another in the media said he’s been our worst defensive player. That gives you a pretty good idea how screwed up our defense is. For every good play someone makes they get blown up the next two or three plays. We have no consistency on defense because we lack talent/playmakers. Changing DCs and schemes never does any good because we have too many average players on defense. When Jaylon and LVE were playing at an elite level two years ago and DLaw was playing for a huge contract getting after the QB it elevated our defense big-time. We have a defense that has to be kept off the field. Hard to win consistently with a defense that has to be protected.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am not surprised by Hill's improvement nor am I surprised by the defense's slow start. There were simply too many changes on that side of the ball for them to come out firing on all cylinders. Hill has the first step quickness and strength to be a beast in the league. His issue was maturity. I think he was a young draftee last year. He just turned 22 this spring so he has growing to do both physically and mentally. But a DT who is averaging 3-4 tackles per game is something to take note of. I'm anxious to see what he looks like in three years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Aldon Smith
Joe Thomas
X. Woods

Trys Hill is looking like a run stopping 3T. I ain't hating on that cause they need that right now...I saw Woods n Poe together at DT last game.

The big money isn't producing, so it's time to rebuild the defense...they paid a couple duds.

Patience