Trysten Hill is not a bust

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I keep seeing threads and posts about Hill being a bust.
Now this is the usual crap from the sky is falling and the Debbie downers, and the usuals that do not like anything.

But to listen to the team, they are are happy with his play and his progress. They liked his never give up attitude and the power the shows. They thought he had a good effort and game against SF. Garrett did say he need to learn still. But they like his progress and he looks the player that knew they drafted.

One PS game and the guy did not have 17 sacks like fans want, so now he is the next player such as LVE was last year, labeled a bust. Typical crap.
Really? You have to throw in "17 sacks" to justify your argument? Sound just as bad as the whiners. Smh

One thing is for sure...

For a 2nd round pick, Trysten Hill looked terrible out there. When an UDFA DT like Walker shows up and tears it up while 2nd round DT Trysten Hill gets stonewalled when both were going up against 2nd & 3rd stringers, well, no one should be complaining when some fans are upset. We expect something from our 2nd round picks around here.

quickccc

Reaction score
Some overdrafted players work out. That doesn't mean they weren't overdrafted.

LVE was slightly overdrafted. He was considered a late first/early 2nd round pick. Lots of unknowns about him, especially only standing out for one year and not coming from a major football program.

Hill has never stood out, and also doesn't come from a major football program. He was rated as a late round talent in several reports. Very scary pick for a 2nd rounder. On the flipside of that, he does have a high ceiling, so I wasn't completely against the pick.

LOL! ... If they work out, and you got your pro bowl player, how is that an overdraft ?
then there is no over-draft. That means you got exactly what you wanted in that draft pick, regardless where he was drafted.
..or does overdraft to you mean it was meant to be a fan popularity contest and in the order they exactly want it ?

If LVE was projected to be a 1st round pick,.. as you're saying.
.and we did indeed drafted him in the first round .. as we did- - we got exactly what we wanted him to be, regardless of where and what point of that round.

waldoputty

Reaction score
we knew exactly what we were drafting for.

early/mid 1st round talent (including rare size/speed combo) over performance in college.
part of that performance was getting less snaps due to not starting after issues with the new coaching staff
dt_2019.jpg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? You have to throw in "17 sacks" to justify your argument? Sound just as bad as the whiners. Smh

One thing is for sure...

For a 2nd round pick, Trysten Hill looked terrible out there. When an UDFA DT like Walker shows up and tears it up while 2nd round DT Trysten Hill gets stonewalled when both were going up against 2nd & 3rd stringers, well, no one should be complaining when some fans are upset. We expect something from our 2nd round picks around here.

I said 17 to make fun of the real whiners to prove a point. Shake your head all you want, as you know I am right.

We expect something from our 2nd round picks around here.

Really? You don't think I know that, but after 1 PS games and we get the "whining" from the usual peanut gallery, yes I have a right to say otherwise, which I did. And I stick by it. Yes we expect something from "our" 2nd round draft picks, but we also expect it to take more than a few walk through practices and 1 PS game where he did not play the entire time.

kskboys

Reaction score
LOL! ... If they work out, and you got your pro bowl player, how is that an overdraft ?
then there is no over-draft. That means you got exactly what you wanted in that draft pick, regardless where he was drafted.
..or does overdraft to you mean it was meant to be a fan popularity contest and in the order they exactly want it ?

If LVE was projected to be a 1st round pick,.. as you're saying.
.and we did indeed drafted him in the first round .. as we did- - we got exactly what we wanted him to be, regardless of where and what point of that round.
Because players are rated as prospects. When a player is rated as a 3rd round prospect but gets drafted in the 1st, he was overdrafted. It has nothing to do w/ how he turns out as a player. Can't use hindsight to rate players.

If a team consistently overdrafts players, they will most likely not succeed.

I think you may have a problem understanding what the term means.

InTheZone

Reaction score
No one right now is in position to say he is or isn't a bust. Progress is all that matters, lets revisit at the end of the 2020 season.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yet, you consider Dak a bust after only three years! Lol
And after 6 years it'll be the same argument. Will say well so and so QB has been in for 10+ years, not fair to compare, give Dak the same time...we know the story.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I said 17 to make fun of the real whiners to prove a point. Shake your head all you want, as you know I am right.

We expect something from our 2nd round picks around here.

Really? You don't think I know that, but after 1 PS games and we get the "whining" from the usual peanut gallery, yes I have a right to say otherwise, which I did. And I stick by it. Yes we expect something from "our" 2nd round draft picks, but we also expect it to take more than a few walk through practices and 1 PS game where he did not play the entire time.
What the Cowboys needed was a big DT who clamps down, secures his base and plugs up the middle, ...... not another dancing bear wannabe Warren Sapp! That's the mentality Marinelli has... wanting another Warren Sapp, which does not work in our 4-3 base. That's why the Rams pushed our DTs around and ran up our gut all game long during the playoffs. So what do we do during the draft to try to correct that mistake? Listen to Marinelli and use a costly 2nd round pick on another twinkle toed dancing bear who fails at standing his ground and plugging up the middle. Now we're starting to see the results on the gamefield. You're proud of that?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I keep seeing threads and posts about Hill being a bust.
Now this is the usual crap from the sky is falling and the Debbie downers, and the usuals that do not like anything.

But to listen to the team, they are are happy with his play and his progress. They liked his never give up attitude and the power the shows. They thought he had a good effort and game against SF. Garrett did say he need to learn still. But they like his progress and he looks the player that knew they drafted.

One PS game and the guy did not have 17 sacks like fans want, so now he is the next player such as LVE was last year, labeled a bust. Typical crap.

Jazz - you've been here for quite a long time. Isn't this the knee jerk you and I have watched over the years by fans who expect all top draft picks to be Hall of Famers right out of the box?

They will play real games and his skill set will advance and he will become a pro player.

But there is something reassuring about the consistency of life when we see the same posts about different players year after year. Kind of funny, actually.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Because players are rated as prospects. When a player is rated as a 3rd round prospect but gets drafted in the 1st, he was overdrafted. It has nothing to do w/ how he turns out as a player. Can't use hindsight to rate players.

If a team consistently overdrafts players, they will most likely not succeed.

I think you may have a problem understanding what the term means.

Preface that with we only have draft pundits word where a player should be drafted. We don't know which round the people who do the actual draft ratings had him slotted.

waldoputty

Reaction score
What the Cowboys needed was a big DT who clamps down, secures his base and plugs up the middle, ...... not another dancing bear wannabe Warren Sapp! That's the mentality Marinelli has... wanting another Warren Sapp, which does not work in our 4-3 base. That's why the Rams pushed our DTs around and ran up our gut all game long during the playoffs. So what do we do during the draft to try to correct that mistake? Listen to Marinelli and use a costly 2nd round pick on another twinkle toed dancing bear who fails at standing his ground and plugging up the middle. Now we're starting to see the results on the gamefield. You're proud of that?

u got half of that right.
yes, marinelli dts have gotten pushed around because they are too light.
that is why hill is valuable because he has the size to go with the motor.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not calling Hill a bust, but I do have a lot of reservations about him. He reminds me a lot of Dez: sometimes he goes all-out with maniacal effort on the field, sometimes he loafs it, and then he doesn't put that same effort in off the field. It's that "I want to make plays but I don't want to practice" kind of attitude. As far as raw skillset on the field, he doesn't have the power that his size would suggest and is basically just a gap shooter. Seeing him struggle against NFL O linemen who are stronger than he is wasn't a surprise.

I'm not putting him on the road to Taco-dom yet: Taco was an average 47th percentile athlete who had size but never much speed or never much strength. He couldn't beat NFL LTs around the edge and he couldn't bull rush through them, so his route to success was always going to require developing better technique to win with sheer length and leverage. Once he got frustrated and quit mentally - just blaming the coaches and not trying to improve - he was done. I'm telling you now, he won't develop in Dallas.

Hill is an 80th percentile NFL athlete with a rocket-booster first step, and he has a pretty direct route to success if he can harness that athleticism at 3 tech. It's going to take getting stronger to hold up to NFL guards and developing counter moves to get off blockers when he can't jump the snap, but those are normal developmental steps for most DTs, rather than asking Taco to turn into a guy he's not.

The frustrating part though is that Thornhill had an even more direct route to success, as a 99th percentile athlete with college production and ballhawk skills going to the NFL's premier DB coach. I mean, that's just a freaking slam dunk. There's no such thing as a sure bet in the NFL but that's about as confident of a 2nd round pick as you can make.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
As I've said before, if Jerry Jones listened to many Cowboys fans around here, we'd have no team because almost every play on our roster from Jaylon Smith to Dak Prescott to Sean Lee to Zeke Elliott to Lael Collins to Jeff Heath to Byron Jones would have been traded or cut by now.
Patience, young grasshoppers, patience.
I’ll have patience, I just don’t see him doing anything year 1. Like ANYTHING

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But to listen to the team, they are are happy with his play and his progress. They liked his never give up attitude and the power the shows.

The one seemingly valid criticism I heard from the game was Hill "running out of gas", which looks a lot like showing lots of give up. How many snaps did he play from a 90 man roster? Can't imagine it was that many. Shouldn't be "out of gas" from so little work.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The one seemingly valid criticism I heard from the game was Hill "running out of gas", which looks a lot like showing lots of give up. How many snaps did he play from a 90 man roster? Can't imagine it was that many. Shouldn't be "out of gas" from so little work.

someone said he played with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team and got almost the most minutes.

Pharoah

Reaction score
He played 31 snaps which was most at DT . The non starters averaged about 27 . I think he improves this week. They watched tape made correction. Will put him on better positions to have success. It's important for him and team to have success. He needs confidence boost and team feel better by seeing improvement.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And you know that he won’t be that type of player how? I guess we should take your internet GM word over the actual coaches that have years of experience over you.