Turnovers are player problems not coaching problems

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s so unbelievable how few turnovers we create. Most teams can even “luck” their way to getting an INT or fumble; we can’t even do that
Exhibit "A", the first int today. When other teams' receivers deflect a ball it doesn't ever seem to drop right into the arms of our defense.....not that they'd necessarily catch it if it did, but that's beside the point.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exhibit "A", the first int today. When other teams' receivers deflect a ball it doesn't ever seem to drop right into the arms of our defense.....not that they'd necessarily catch it if it did, but that's beside the point.

Stone-hands Jones and Brown is a guaranteed drop. Lewis would probably catch it but they never let him on the field

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Lol @ easy catch

I can tell most of you havent played a sport in your life. That wasnt an easy catch
Yeah, actually it was. Was it perfect? No. But, it hit Cooper right in both of his hands. Yes, it was slightly behind him, but that’s a catch that has to be made and I bet he’d say the same thing. He has an issue with drops. It’s well documented. No QB makes all throws perfectly. It’s not possible.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lol @ easy catch

I can tell most of you havent played a sport in your life. That wasnt an easy catch

He's paid to catch footballs. He had two hands on it. I get your Dak obsession but Amari Cooper will tell you he has to catch that (he already did, actually).

Now the second interception...that was all Dak. He made a terrible read. The third one should've been a penalty on GB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wrong

Receivers drop passes like that every week.

Yall just finding every reason to absolve Dakota

You know I am far from a Dak crazy and certainly have not absolved him today but that first interception was more on Cooper than Dak. You see guys all over the league catch a pass that's just off the back shoulder pad. I mean if he didn't put his hands up it would have bounced off his left shoulder pad, so hardly that far a pass behind him.

Now the other passes? The interception back across the field? Dak's fault. I think the interception where Gallup got mugged? I still think that's a bad pass regardless of whether Gallup gets racked there or not? Kevin King dropped an easy interception over the middle that was a terrible pass. The interception in the end zone negated by the penalty? Another brutally awful pass. I think Dak easily could have had 6 interceptions today, 5 being mostly or all his fault. But Cooper has to catch that first one. That's on him mostly.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He's paid to catch footballs. He had two hands on it. I get your Dak obsession but Amari Cooper will tell you he has to catch that (he already did, actually).

Now the second interception...that was all Dak. He made a terrible read.
This has nothing to do with dak. Grow up.

That isnt an easy catch to make. And of course he is going to take blame. Thats what professionals do.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It’s so unbelievable how few turnovers we create. Most teams can even “luck” their way to getting an INT or fumble; we can’t even do that

The Cowboys Dee rarely "tackles the ball", or tries to punch or strip it out. They should though, since they're good at gang tackling.

And for INTs, we need DBs to be looking back for the ball. Cowboy defenders rarely look back to make a play on the ball, they just play the receiver's eyes and hands, and try to knock the ball out as it arrives.

So, to me, this is coaching. Better coaching would teach better techniques. Or we need to pick DBs who have natural ballhawking capabilities, not simply pick good "cover guys".

Most turnovers in the NFL are intentional, some defender makes a great play on the ball. The Cowboys don't have those kinds of players. And that's an issue.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys Dee rarely "tackles the ball", or tries to punch or strip it out. They should though, since they're good at gang tackling.

And for INTs, we need DBs to be looking back for the ball. Cowboy defenders rarely look back to make a play on the ball, they just play the receiver's eyes and hands, and try to knock the ball out as it arrives.

So, to me, this is coaching. Better coaching would teach better techniques. Or we need to pick DBs who have natural ballhawking capabilities, not simply pick good "cover guys".

Most turnovers in the NFL are intentional, some defender makes a great play on the ball. The Cowboys don't have those kinds of players. And that's an issue.
Agreed. Brown and Awuzie literally NEVER turn their head to look for the ball. Drives me absolutely insane

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Players focused better. Troy is probably the best leader the franchise had about demanding accountability from his teammates.
And they focused better because of the coach, right?
And tell me who was the coach in the NFC Championship Game when Aikman threw three interceptions?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So why did Aikman commit three turnovers in the 94 NFC Championship Game? And tell me who the coach was again? ;)
So you think that after years of having Jimmy as HC, one season under Barry was all it took to ruin him?....even though Turner was still the OC?....and then he went back to being great the following year, still under Barry?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
And they focused better because of the coach, right?
And tell me who was the coach in the NFC Championship Game when Aikman threw three interceptions?
No I think players focus is on them. They’re professionals. If grown adults can’t take their job seriously then that’s on them. You can’t hold their hand all the time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So you think that after years of having Jimmy as HC, one season under Barry was all it took to ruin him?....even though Turner was still the OC?....and then he went back to being great the following year, still under Barry?
What I'm saying is that coaching DOES matter when it comes to turnovers. When a coach practices turnover drills, practices players holding onto the ball and emphasizes discipline, he has a direct impact on the turnover factor.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No I think players focus is on them. They’re professionals. If grown adults can’t take their job seriously then that’s on them. You can’t hold their hand all the time.
Then why a coach or coordinators? Just let the players teach themselves.
Of course, players DO have coaches because they are part of a team and can't do everything nor teach themselves everything.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Any coach or pro wr will tell you thats a catchable ball that needs to be caught.

It is but they would also tell you, if they are honest, that it's not an easy catch and that you are going to miss some of those as well. It's why you insist on accuracy from your QB. I mean, if those were automatic, then it wouldn't be important that you have a QB who is highly accurate. It is what it is, we have all missed catches and we've all been told that if you can get a hand on it, then you better catch it. Hell, I've told players that more times then I care to admit. But that wasn't an easy catch IMO.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Wrong

Receivers drop passes like that every week.

Yall just finding every reason to absolve Dakota
Theres a reason amari leads the league in drops. He doesnt have great hands. Our big 3 on offense are overrated by most cowboys cheerleaders. I mean fans

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It is but they would also tell you, if they are honest, that it's not an easy catch and that you are going to miss some of those as well. It's why you insist on accuracy from your QB. I mean, if those were automatic, then it wouldn't be important that you have a QB who is highly accurate. It is what it is, we have all missed catches and we've all been told that if you can get a hand on it, then you better catch it. Hell, I've told players that more times then I care to admit. But that wasn't an easy catch IMO.
It hit him in the shoulder he needs to catch it