CFZ Turpin and Washington in the Slot with Dak Could Be a Deadly Combo

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So I was replying about Turpin the other day, and truth be told it's really all about scheme.

You can't really see Cooper Rush doing a whole lot with Kevante Turpin, because of the limitations of his arm, and the fact that nowadays, defensive backs are bigger, taller and faster than ever, on the whole.

But I can see Turpin and Dak actually being a pretty deadly duo with Turpin. But go back to watch the tape on Turpin last game. Right now, Noah Brown is sort of the utility guy, and I like the other possibilities with Brown in terms of line ups, but he's injured this week. With a guy like Turpin, you have to have an arm, and I think Dak has a better understanding of what players do after the catch, and that's where Turpin would be deadly.

Anyway, I think you simply play Turpin on 20% - 25 percent of your offensive plays, and try to work James Washington in this game. When you consider we should be running 2 TE sets, at least half of the time, (That makes us less predictable)Turpin's playing in the slot maybe 30-35% of each game. That way, it's not so obvious we're going to him if he's sort of a regular player anyway.

Additionally, as some have also said, we should play from under center, almost always with the Eagles. That way, the defense doesn't know whether it's a pass or a run.

Shotgun is more effective late in the game when you're down, and teams know you're passing, because it gives you space, so you theoretically make better decisions. This is how you get Turpin the ball, you have your QB under center and him in the slot.. not in shotgun.

And get those two tight ends involved. I like our trio of Hendershot, Ferguson, and McKeon better than Schultz all day.

McKeon even had him some action in the Eagles game. Was just too little too late. But I love me some tight ends, too.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Washington. Wish that we would have waited rather than give a 2nd rate backup a place on the team. This is what happens when we go bargain hunting. We pay cheap for cheap.

I would cut my losses and go after DJ Moore. Washington isn't going to cut it as far as getting to the Superbowl is concerned.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Washington. Wish that we would have waited rather than give a 2nd rate backup a place on the team. This is what happens when we go bargain hunting. We pay cheap for cheap.

I would cut my losses and go after DJ Moore. Washington isn't going to cut it as far as getting to the Superbowl is concerned.

We pretty much have a free player. He hasn't counted against the roster much, after his injury. If I recall, he's on IR. So he may not be able to come back just yet, now that I think about it. I'm just saying when he comes back, I think you'll be surprised, especially if Dak is on his game, because Washington is the epitome of Dak-friendly.

That said, I think Turpin also can be, from the slot.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We pretty much have a free player. He hasn't counted against the roster much, after his injury. If I recall, he's on IR. So he may not be able to come back just yet, now that I think about it. I'm just saying when he comes back, I think you'll be surprised, especially if Dak is on his game, because Washington is the epitome of Dak-friendly.

I hope I'm wrong. He seems to be a strong receiver that isn't afraid to go down the middle. But I think we need more speed on the outside. Washington isn't it. But hoping I'm wrong.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Turpin is too explosive not to get some touches on offense. He's like Pollard, a threat to score or flip the field at any given moment.

If you go back and watch the tape, I agree. But they have to find the right plays and play distribution for him.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
So I was replying about Turpin the other day, and truth be told it's really all about scheme.

You can't really see Cooper Rush doing a whole lot with Kevante Turpin, because of the limitations of his arm, and the fact that nowadays, defensive backs are bigger, taller and faster than ever, on the whole.

But I can see Turpin and Dak actually being a pretty deadly duo with Turpin. But go back to watch the tape on Turpin last game. Right now, Noah Brown is sort of the utility guy, and I like the other possibilities with Brown in terms of line ups, but he's injured this week. With a guy like Turpin, you have to have an arm, and I think Dak has a better understanding of what players do after the catch, and that's where Turpin would be deadly.

Anyway, I think you simply play Turpin on 20% - 25 percent of your offensive plays, and try to work James Washington in this game. When you consider we should be running 2 TE sets, at least half of the time, (That makes us less predictable)Turpin's playing in the slot maybe 30-35% of each game. That way, it's not so obvious we're going to him if he's sort of a regular player anyway.

Additionally, as some have also said, we should play from under center, almost always with the Eagles. That way, the defense doesn't know whether it's a pass or a run.

Shotgun is more effective late in the game when you're down, and teams know you're passing, because it gives you space, so you theoretically make better decisions. This is how you get Turpin the ball, you have your QB under center and him in the slot.. not in shotgun.

And get those two tight ends involved. I like our trio of Hendershot, Ferguson, and McKeon better than Schultz all day.

McKeon even had him some action in the Eagles game. Was just too little too late. But I love me some tight ends, too.
Turpin should’ve been used in the slot.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Dallas isn't going to take on Moore's contract. They'll look to pay some of their own guys, like Diggs, and they'll have to restructure Dak's $49 million cap hit for 2023.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I would've agreed before the season started....but the Cowboys have gotten something out of all these guys to the point they seem to know what they are doing. Maybe Washington has something.