1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Turpin on a Pass play?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coogiguy03, Sep 23, 2022.

1. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

8,161 Messages
    7,341 Likes Received
    I mean its hard to replace speed but this guy isnt going to amount to much cause kellen cant figure out how to use his ability without a jet sweep. Our best hope is he breaks a return which Im guessing hell get few opportunities because nowaday they just boot it out of end zone usually

BAT likes this.
  2. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

10,182 Messages
    11,614 Likes Received
    He doesn't look it in pads to me. Hill looks much faster than the time between their no-pads 40s. That's why Hill is catching multiple bombs in games behind the defense when the whole world knows he can do just that. This is a whole new world for Turpin. People need to dial back those expectations.

3. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,079 Messages
    96,725 Likes Received
    Fake the jet sweep and have him keep running full speed on a deep pattern. I love that play.....doesn't work often after teams get film on it, though.

4. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

11,059 Messages
    18,772 Likes Received
    I’m not liking him on that jet sweep at all. He literally could have cut it inside or bounce it outside for a good gain but instead just followed his blocker that was trying to block two guys.

a quick out/ screen pass might be worth a try providing our Wide receivers can block like Brady’s always seem to do.

Captain-Crash likes this.
  5. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

11,059 Messages
    18,772 Likes Received
    We’ll use that in the Super Bowl, coach

Runwildboys and Ranching like this.
  6. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

18,170 Messages
    12,878 Likes Received
    The dallas coaches have the standard football mentality, so they are going to do things the typical way, which is what
    you have seen so far in 2 games.
    Nothing bold or innovative, just standard football thinking, which is also just typical and average.

MM and kellen dont know what to do with any of the off talent they have, they just keep on doing the average stuff.

I thought they would at least throw 1 deep pass to turpin each game, but no that is too bold and innovative, so they arent doing that !

For me the whole idea would be to get him the ball in returns, and other situations, and see if he might break a long one.

For game one they targeted lamb 11 times for 2 catches, and turpin 0 targets go figure !
    See it is just standard football mentality.

Bullflop and Brooksey like this.
  7. Toro9

Toro9 Well-Known Member

881 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Lucky Whitehead was the best at this. It seemed like every time he did it it was 8 or 9 yards. Turpin is a similar type of player. I don't have an answer for you, except that maybe they wanna develop him more as a player who can do other things first so that when he's on the field the defense doesn't KNOW what's coming.

Captain-Crash likes this.
  8. Jimbo123

Jimbo123 Well-Known Member

594 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    They are both 200+ lb. Turpin is about a buck fifty

9. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

8,301 Messages
    8,645 Likes Received
    ..its complicated. Or Dallas OC doesn't have plays with him in mind.

I can see him being used, on quick jet-sweep QB hand off. Similar what Tampa did at least twice.

10. ChuckA1

ChuckA1 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    2,991 Messages
    4,976 Likes Received
    Coming in here late, so this may have already been said... But using him as a wide out and having him run down and outs or whatever will keep the D honest. Right now, when he comes in, they automatically assume sweep

11. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

13,430 Messages
    19,831 Likes Received
    You got that one from watching Garrett call plays?

Ranching likes this.
  12. charron

charron Well-Known Member

10,767 Messages
    11,250 Likes Received
    In KM option route based system it takes time. I think this is why mike said they gotta scale that back so the qb and wr's get on the same page faster.

13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

40,008 Messages
    10,371 Likes Received
    The fastest player on every offense should be running a route deep up the field at least twice per quarter, especially if that fastest player is like option 4 on the field.

There's no excuse for not sending him deep just to take the top off the defense.

Scotman, KeepinTime and Verdict like this.
  14. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

25,060 Messages
    19,147 Likes Received
    I really expected them to incorporate him into the passing game due to his top end speed. I was clearly and obviously mistaken. What in the world was I thinking? KM is our OC. I should have known better.

15. Brooksey

Brooksey Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,062 Messages
    5,728 Likes Received
    You think they're going to just throw a 5 yard slant to Turpin, hit him in stride and let him make a play?

It's not going to happen, they know better

16. Twin928

Twin928 Well-Known Member

474 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    They should do what I do on madden send his azz deep every play lol

17. Garrettop

Garrettop Well-Known Member

1,097 Messages
    2,077 Likes Received
    DeSean Jackson wasn't substantially bigger than Turpin.

18. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

23,279 Messages
    28,681 Likes Received
    It's early, yet, in Turpin's NFL wanderings. I hope he'll relax in his new setting and show his considerable speed to advantage.:thumbup:

Maybe it's high time for Kellen Moore to use his holstered intelligence to make the most of Turpin's ability to spark our timid offense.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,223 Likes Received
    Not holding my breath to see Turp given a ton of reps on offense.

But Turp is really close to breaking a huge return on ST.

20. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

11,250 Messages
    8,861 Likes Received
    He's going to have to score multiple tds or break multiple long ones or he won't be in Dallas next year.

exciter likes this.