Turpin on a Pass play?

starfan1

Reaction score
I mean its hard to replace speed but this guy isnt going to amount to much cause kellen cant figure out how to use his ability without a jet sweep. Our best hope is he breaks a return which Im guessing hell get few opportunities because nowaday they just boot it out of end zone usually

Reactions: BAT

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Turpin is a 4.3 runner, Hill 4.29, Turpin is plenty fast. I do agree that anyone expecting him to be a key player this year is asking a lot but he is a WR who can make plays deep

He doesn't look it in pads to me. Hill looks much faster than the time between their no-pads 40s. That's why Hill is catching multiple bombs in games behind the defense when the whole world knows he can do just that. This is a whole new world for Turpin. People need to dial back those expectations.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The beloved once a game, we know what's coming for 5 yards jet sweep is getting old. Can you all think of a reason why we wouldn't want to add this speed threat to our passing game?

Do they feel he's not ready, or him keeping the defense honest might hurt this teams success?? Please help me to understand. Let's stop waiting for guys to come back, and use the weapon that you do have!!!
Fake the jet sweep and have him keep running full speed on a deep pattern. I love that play.....doesn't work often after teams get film on it, though.

shabazz

Reaction score
The beloved once a game, we know what's coming for 5 yards jet sweep is getting old. Can you all think of a reason why we wouldn't want to add this speed threat to our passing game?

Do they feel he's not ready, or him keeping the defense honest might hurt this teams success?? Please help me to understand. Let's stop waiting for guys to come back, and use the weapon that you do have!!!

I’m not liking him on that jet sweep at all. He literally could have cut it inside or bounce it outside for a good gain but instead just followed his blocker that was trying to block two guys.

a quick out/ screen pass might be worth a try providing our Wide receivers can block like Brady’s always seem to do.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The dallas coaches have the standard football mentality, so they are going to do things the typical way, which is what
you have seen so far in 2 games.
Nothing bold or innovative, just standard football thinking, which is also just typical and average.

MM and kellen dont know what to do with any of the off talent they have, they just keep on doing the average stuff.

I thought they would at least throw 1 deep pass to turpin each game, but no that is too bold and innovative, so they arent doing that !

For me the whole idea would be to get him the ball in returns, and other situations, and see if he might break a long one.

For game one they targeted lamb 11 times for 2 catches, and turpin 0 targets go figure !
See it is just standard football mentality.

Toro9

Reaction score
Lucky Whitehead was the best at this. It seemed like every time he did it it was 8 or 9 yards. Turpin is a similar type of player. I don't have an answer for you, except that maybe they wanna develop him more as a player who can do other things first so that when he's on the field the defense doesn't KNOW what's coming.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Sometimes coaches just don’t know. We didn’t know what we had in Laurant Robinson and Myles Austin until they were forced to play.
They are both 200+ lb. Turpin is about a buck fifty

Praxit

Reaction score
..its complicated. Or Dallas OC doesn't have plays with him in mind.

I can see him being used, on quick jet-sweep QB hand off. Similar what Tampa did at least twice.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming in here late, so this may have already been said... But using him as a wide out and having him run down and outs or whatever will keep the D honest. Right now, when he comes in, they automatically assume sweep

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In KM option route based system it takes time. I think this is why mike said they gotta scale that back so the qb and wr's get on the same page faster.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The fastest player on every offense should be running a route deep up the field at least twice per quarter, especially if that fastest player is like option 4 on the field.

There's no excuse for not sending him deep just to take the top off the defense.

Verdict

Reaction score
The fastest player on every offense should be running a route deep up the field at least twice per quarter, especially if that fastest player is like option 4 on the field.

There's no excuse for not sending him deep just to take the top off the defense.
I really expected them to incorporate him into the passing game due to his top end speed. I was clearly and obviously mistaken. What in the world was I thinking? KM is our OC. I should have known better.

Brooksey

Reaction score
You think they're going to just throw a 5 yard slant to Turpin, hit him in stride and let him make a play?

It's not going to happen, they know better

Twin928

Reaction score

They should do what I do on madden send his azz deep every play lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's early, yet, in Turpin's NFL wanderings. I hope he'll relax in his new setting and show his considerable speed to advantage.:thumbup:

Maybe it's high time for Kellen Moore to use his holstered intelligence to make the most of Turpin's ability to spark our timid offense.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Not holding my breath to see Turp given a ton of reps on offense.

But Turp is really close to breaking a huge return on ST.