Twitter: 30 Years Ago-Russell Maryland

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Yes there was no salary cap back then but there was also no real free agency either...so what's your point.
My point is it's easier to build a great team when you can keep all your good players, regardless of contract demands.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Jimmy was great when there was no salary cap and he was on the winning side of one of the worst trades in NFL history. Didn't work out so well with the Dolphins....
Jimmy traded away our best player at the time. There is a LOT of articles and videos about that trade, but I can sum it it by saying that Jimmy got DOUBLE what the Vikings thought that they had offered. It was supposed to be "players or picks" and Jimmy got both by being an unscrupulous *******.

In Miami, Jimmy wanted to repeat the process by trading their best player: Dan Marino. He was told flat out "no." So he was forced to try to build a team around a legendary statue with no draft capital to work with. I do sometimes wonder what would have happened in Miami if Jimmy had been able to do what he actually wanted.

conner01

Reaction score
Jimmy traded away our best player at the time. There is a LOT of articles and videos about that trade, but I can sum it it by saying that Jimmy got DOUBLE what the Vikings thought that they had offered. It was supposed to be "players or picks" and Jimmy got both by being an unscrupulous *******.

In Miami, Jimmy wanted to repeat the process by trading their best player: Dan Marino. He was told flat out "no." So he was forced to try to build a team around a legendary statue with no draft capital to work with. I do sometimes wonder what would have happened in Miami if Jimmy had been able to do what he actually wanted.
Probably not much different
Marino wasn’t gonna bring a boat load and the team lacked talent and draft capital
You give jimmy the tools, talent or the ability to draft talent and he would have been good there

conner01

Reaction score
I didnt like the pick actually and thought he never came close to living up to expectations.
Today he would be considered a but because fans look at draft spot and expect a high pick to be all pro
But on that team he was an important part of the team

conner01

Reaction score
maryland was a helluva player,in my opinion.
quick off the snap.
strong pass rush and a helluva run defender.
very agile for a big man.
we could use another one like that right about now.
If you drafted a guy who put up his numbers today he’d be considered a bust by fans

cowboyec

Reaction score
Today he would be considered a but because fans look at draft spot and expect a high pick to be all pro
But on that team he was an important part of the team
as much as warren sapp was to his.
maryland was always around the ball.
hated to see him leave.
wish he had stayed.
he was one of the best college DTs i ever saw.
maryland,u of miami
jerome brown,u of miami
cortez kennedy,u of miami
warren sapp,u of miami
tony casillas,ou
dan "big daddy" wilkinson,ohio st
suh,nebraska
those 7 stand out to me the most from their college days.

plasticman

Reaction score
Russell Maryland was the bowling ball in the midd le of the Cowboy defense that caused chaos. He had a great motor.

The Cowboys wanted Ismael but when he decided to go to Canada, they signe4d Maryland because they didn't want a contract holdout tht year from their pick. They had Maryland's contract signed practically before he was drafted.

Maryland was the kind of D-liner you forgot about sometimes during the game. He didn't have flashy numbers but he was very consistent. At the end of the game you hardly noticed the number of tackles, a forced fumble, perhaps a sack. They added up.

What a draft that was. Maryland and Alvin Harper in the 1st round. LB Dixon Edwards in the 2nd round followed by three 3rd round picks that included both LB Godfrey Miles and LT Erik Williams. A good LB in Darrick Brownlow in the 5th followed by two time Pro Bowler Leon Lett and then Super Bowl MVP Larry Brown in the 12th.

conner01

Reaction score
as charlie brown would say....tell your stats to shut-up.
Fans don’t appreciate a guy that just clogs up the middle. But that’s exactly what we needed in that scheme and today
I hated when he left and he had his best overall season with the raiders after leaving
This dline really needs a guy like him

cowboyec

Reaction score
Fans don’t appreciate a guy that just clogs up the middle. But that’s exactly what we needed in that scheme and today
I hated when he left and he had his best overall season with the raiders after leaving
This dline really needs a guy like him
absolutely.

favorite dt combo's in our history...
lilly/pugh
white/pugh
maryland/lett

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
My point is it's easier to build a great team when you can keep all your good players, regardless of contract demands.
Its easier if you drafted well and/or were able to develop players like Bill and Jimmy.

Have a few bad drafts and not have a franchise QB and you were in for a lot of bad seasons.

Now they have free agency where -if played smart - can help you turn around a team in a year.

Not saying either one is easier just different.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jimmy was great when there was no salary cap and he was on the winning side of one of the worst trades in NFL history. Didn't work out so well with the Dolphins....

no other teams had a cap either. And the Dolphins owner wouldn't let him replace Marino. That was a problem. Marino was 38 when Jimmy decided to call it quits. Can't ask a guy to come in and build your team and then make sentimental decisions with your aging QB.