Twitter: Mike Lombardi on background between Garrett-McCarthy

CWR

Reaction score

My reading comprehension sucks. What is he saying? Is he saying that means McCarthy is only interviewing for OC? OR is he saying Garrett is not a consideration for HC again in Dallas???

CWR

Reaction score
I had a conspiracy theory in the back of my mind that Jerry will just interview a list of unimpressive candidates and then say, Garrett was the best option for this year and they will re-evaluate next year as a way to try and sell another year of Garrett and then hope this team somehow catches lightning in a bottle.

Yeah I had the same thought. Although McCarthy is much more impressive than Garrett. Still the way this has gone down has me paranoid and coming up with plenty of conspiracy theories.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
We need better choices no more recycled coaches who are desperate for job ( they will be yes Jerry type) .
while we waiting JG playing the Clash song: Should I Stay or Should I Go

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
My reading comprehension sucks. What is he saying? Is he saying that means McCarthy is only interviewing for OC? OR is he saying Garrett is not a consideration for HC again in Dallas???
He’s saying McCarthy would not come here for an interview unless Garrett was already gone

blur2122

Reaction score
I think the simplest and likeliest scenario is this: The Cowboys have privately informed Garrett that they plan to go in another direction. However, they are going to hold him to his contract, and he remains an employee of the Cowboys until 1/14. This delays Garrett from interviewing for the Giants job or any other until he becomes a free agent. Just because the Cowboys haven't told the world their plans doesn't mean that they don't have them.

As far as McCarthy, I think he's an intriguing candidate, and the analytics aspect is sorely needed. I still would like them to broaden the search before settling on someone. This is too important of a hire to close up shop and settle for someone you interview on day two.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the simplest and likeliest scenario is this: The Cowboys have privately informed Garrett that they plan to go in another direction. However, they are going to hold him to his contract, and he remains an employee of the Cowboys until 1/14. This delays Garrett from interviewing for the Giants job or any other until he becomes a free agent. Just because the Cowboys haven't told the world their plans doesn't mean that they don't have them.

As far as McCarthy, I think he's an intriguing candidate, and the analytics aspect is sorely needed. I still would like them to broaden the search before settling on someone. This is too important of a hire to close up shop and settle for someone you interview on day two.
Does this also prevent Garrett from interviewing with other teams?

punchnjudy

Reaction score
That doesn't mean he's gone.

Just means he won't return as HC.

Also, if Garrett was certain he wasn't coming back here in any capacity, he'd say so publicly so that any other potentially interested team would know. No reason for him to keep it a secret.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
So, I have come to the opinion that they are not going to do anything till Garrett's contract expires on the 14th.
No firing, no commitments to new coaches or old. They are just going to let it drag out and then move on.
**ssies

Hadenough

Reaction score
Well, they can interview other candidates as well. If we are looking squarely at McCarthy, who as of two years ago, was 3-8-1 without Aaron Rodgers, who throws the back shoulder fade, break the pocket and throw daggers army lightning speed to compensate for trash scheming better than anyone, then this is a bad sign.
I would like to see them interview Robert Salah or Dennis Allen along with Gary Kubiak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy still in Dallas.

It's a battle of Jerry's red-headed step son vs his real son.

Stephen: Dad, I've interviewed 2 Head Coaching candidates.

Garrett: Jerry you're like a Dad to me..I'm better than those guys...are you kidding me...Marvin Lewis...

Stephen: Dad, Marvin Lewis fulfills the Rooney Rule.

Garrett: Jerry/Dad, Stephen is going to take the credit if a new HC is hired and it works...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What would this board do if McCarthy was hired as OC, Lewis was hired as DC and Garrett was retained as head coach? This board will melt down. I’m talking a meltdown of epic proportions. Lol.

That would be some puppet show.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Keeping the old coach around would completely undermine the new coach. It's better to just completely remove Garrett.

Wasn't advocating, really, but suggesting that that's a more likely scenario than McCarthy coming to Dallas just to interview for OC.

But... in case I wasn't clear before...

2020-01-05_1515.png

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear Garrett is done in Dallas. Lot of smoke and mirrors once the season ended, but the decision was made a year ago.

Agree, they decided a year ago this was Garrett's last year but that was finalized at the final gun of the Bears game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It's a battle of Jerry's red-headed step son vs his real son.

Stephen: Dad, I've interviewed 2 Head Coaching candidates.

Garrett: Jerry you're like a Dad to me..I'm better than those guys...are you kidding me...Marvin Lewis...

Stephen: Dad, Marvin Lewis fulfills the Rooney Rule.

Garrett: Jerry/Dad, Stephen is going to take the credit if a new HC is hired and it works...

LOL Jason Garrett is such a worm.

Groveling for his job.

Pathetic.