Two 41-yard Hail Mary's are better than one 24-yard one

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Staubach always said if he could do it over he would have gone QB sneak instead of the hail mary to Pearson.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
No you couldn't. It was either two end-zone shots or do what we did (or try a quick pass over middle and spike the ball). They were not going to allow anyone to get out of bounds.

Exactly, the Niners were guarding all the sidelines.

Two deep throws from the 41 were just what the doctor ordered, and perfectly within Dak's arm range.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think they thought Dak would reach the end zone. Did you see that duck to Wilson on 4th and 11? He had 3 guys open on that play. Don’t know if it’s the calf but his arm strength sucks.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I don’t think they thought Dak would reach the end zone. Did you see that duck to Wilson on 4th and 11? He had 3 guys open on that play. Don’t know if it’s the calf but his arm strength sucks.

If an NFL pro quarterback cannot reliably heave the ball 40+ yards downfield through the air for a Hail Mary, we have a huge problem. Even most high school QBs can do that.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
If an NFL pro quarterback cannot reliably heave the ball 40+ yards downfield through the air for a Hail Mary, we have a huge problem. Even most high school QBs can do that.
There were a huge lack of deep balls this season. Not sure he was fully healthy. Lack of velocity after the Pats game.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I am curious to know what the analytical percentages are for this situation. I personally feel that I'd rather have 1 shot from the 24, then 2 shots from 41. Pass one from the 41 could get picked off. I dont know, arm chair QB is not really my strengths.

With Dak, one shot from 24 could get picked. If they don't trust our "best WR corp" in the game, or Dak to throw the ball 41 yards to them with two chances to do it, why not just kneel the ball and quit? All of them. Gutless, clueless, embarrassing.