Two Historical Cowboys' Team and QB Trivia Facts

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not a Dak thread. Haven't done one and don't intend to.
But of the trivia points is a piggybank off the concept of the thread about Playoffs and 30 point games.
The other is about Playoff comebacks

Two Cowboys' Playoff Trivia Facts (feel free to correct any errors)

1) The Cowboys have trailed by at least 14 points in 30 Playoff games. They have only come back to win 3 of those games. So 3-27.

Here are the starting QBs in those games:
  • Aikman 0-5
  • Carter 0-1
  • Hogeboom 0-1
  • Meredith 0-3
  • Morton 0-6
  • Prescott 0-2
  • Romo 1-1
  • Staubach 1-4
  • White 1-4

2) The Cowboy's Playoff Record when the defense gives up 30 or more points is 0-13.

Here were the QBs for those team losses (alphabetical).
  • Aikman 0-2
  • Hogeboom 0-1
  • Meredith 0-1
  • Morton 0-2
  • Prescott 0-2
  • Romo 0-1
  • Staubach 0-2
  • White 0-2

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not so sure this is as much about quarterbacks as it is the law of averages.

Dallas favored to win in the playoffs 27-13
Dallas underdogs in the playoffs...….7-13

dallasdave

Reaction score
Not a Dak thread. Haven't done one and don't intend to.
But of the trivia points is a piggybank off the concept of the thread about Playoffs and 30 point games.
The other is about Playoff comebacks

Two Cowboys' Playoff Trivia Facts (feel free to correct any errors)

1) The Cowboys have trailed by at least 14 points in 30 Playoff games. They have only come back to win 3 of those games. So 3-27.

Here are the starting QBs in those games:
  • Aikman 0-5
  • Carter 0-1
  • Hogeboom 0-1
  • Meredith 0-3
  • Morton 0-6
  • Prescott 0-2
  • Romo 1-1
  • Staubach 1-4
  • White 1-4

2) The Cowboy's Playoff Record when the defense gives up 30 or more points is 0-13.

Here were the QBs for those team losses (alphabetical).
  • Aikman 0-2
  • Hogeboom 0-1
  • Meredith 0-1
  • Morton 0-2
  • Prescott 0-2
  • Romo 0-1
  • Staubach 0-2
  • White 0-2
Most important fact AIKMAN is 3-0 in Super Bowls --------------------------------show me the MONEY :yourock::yourock::yourock::hammer::welcome:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think he ever started a playoff game.
As it turned out, he came into the game early after an injury and played most of the game.

It would still apply as they went down by 14 or more and had most of the game to catch up but didn't. But if we're going by starting the game only, he gets eliminated.
So 3 of 29 instead of 3 of 30
Only QBs to pull it off were Staubach, White and Romo

Flamma

Reaction score
As it turned out, he came into the game early after an injury and played most of the game.

It would still apply as they went down by 14 or more and had most of the game to catch up but didn't. But if we're going by starting the game only, he gets eliminated.
So 3 of 29 instead of 3 of 30
Only QBs to pull it off were Staubach, White and Romo

He played the 2nd half as far as I know.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
He played the 2nd half as far as I know.
Hogeboom came in with 19 seconds left in the first half. Dallas was already behind 14-3. Not a happy memory.
To the larger point, coming from 14 down is rare anyway. Much less in a playoff game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My favorite TE-but he got the pass from Troy-you know the QB that won every Super Bowl he played in.:starspin::starspin::starspin:

Aikman was good, but he was definitely a product of one the best teams around him and incredible coaching. When Aikman had just a little less talent he couldn't do anything.

Best bus driver I ever saw.

GMO415

Reaction score
Doesn't change anything. I'll take the eye test and performance over a career. All that "if this scenario" and "that scenario" doesn't mean shhhh.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Doesn't change anything. I'll take the eye test and performance over a career. All that "if this scenario" and "that scenario" doesn't mean shhhh.
Just trivia stuff, that's all.
I agree, anyone trying to read more into it more than just some interesting historical facts is reaching.
Just shows how tough it is to win a playoff game after being down 14 or when the opponent scores 30.
Kind of a no-brainer, but just the extent of how hard it is was a bit surprising.

GMO415

Reaction score
Just trivia stuff, that's all.
I agree, anyone trying to read more into it more than just some interesting historical facts is reaching.
Just shows how tough it is to win a playoff game after being down 14 or when the opponent scores 30.
Kind of a no-brainer, but just the extent of how hard it is was a bit surprising.
Try winning a SB being down 25.... hahaha. I don't think we'll ever witness anything like that again.