Two Questions for the Board

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Most of you are far better attuned to salary cap stuff than I am, so the first question deals with that, namely, does the availability of Philip Rivers change any of the thinking on Dak? That is, is there any scenario in which paying Rivers in the short term while looking to draft a QB in the long term ---then letting Dak go---make sense?

The second is Blake Jarwin. The knock I constantly hear on him is he doesn't block as well as Witten or doesn't block well at all. It seems there isn't much question that he is a playmaker with the ball and has real talent as a WR. So my question is, have any of you seen film or closely looked at his blocking? Is he that bad? Is he getting mauled? Whiffing? Poor technique? I once heard that blocking by a FB or WR is all about will (I think Michael Irvin said that), that anyone could block if they put their mind to it.

Is Jarwin worth committing to as a #1 TE and get him to block?

You ask too many questions, Gor.
Look, Dak is no playoff QB.
Jarwin is an upgrade.
Your Rivers proposition is ridiculous. Jerry won't hurt Dak"s feelings.

kskboys

Reaction score
Rivers was not himself last year. Not sure what the issues were but it does make it doubtful that he would be what you are looking for.

Jarwin is fine & would probably already be a star on any other team. Its 2020, let him go do his thing downfield and accept that he isn't ever going to be a mauler. (but he's not as bad as many make him out to be). Add another viable TE to the mix & you'll be just fine. (I'm not saying any other TE on roster is or isn't viable, just saying we don't have to have elite but someone who can be both a blocker & receiver to compliment Jarwin)
He's 400 years old.

Jumping the gun on Jarwin. We don't know.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Then, why do you LOVE Dak?
What has he brought us in 3 years?
Are we to wait another 3 years?
Been dere, done DAT.
Well he’s brought us NFL Rookie of the Year, 2 time NFL Pro Bowler and within 1 yard of the Cowboys all time passing yardage record. Uh hem.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sign Tom Brady for 2 years, $32,000,000 a year. Sign Antonio Brown. Who has said he only wants to play with Brady.... obviously Antonio does not think Brady has regressed. Tag and trade Dak or let Dak walk. Sign Amari. Sign Jones. 4 stud O lineman keeping Brady upright. WR's are Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup. Try to bring Cobb back. Bring Dez in for a camp invite. It is worth taking a look. So Zeke and Pollard running the ball. Brady at QB. Throwing to Brown, Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Bryant. Jarwin is the Novacek TE.

Defense will be below average. But Dallas would be unstoppable. Win a couple of SB's. Jerry would be happy because it would be the greatest Offense ever assembled. The fans would be entertained & Jerry would make a lot of money. As an extra bonus this plan would require less money to be spent than what Dallas will end up doing just to go 8-8. Everyone would be talking about Dallas... which Jerry loves.
Did you like fall asleep under a rock while Brown was wigging out?

kskboys

Reaction score
Rivers replacing Dak is ridiculous. 25 year old guy coming off his best season replaced by a 38 coming off his worst. Even Jerry isn’t that stupid.

Jarwin went undrafted for a reason. He is a good athlete. Can catch the football in space. That’s it. He is extremely limited. No way he is a number 1.
That's what I see w/ Jarwin. Nice #2 type receiving TE.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

:laugh:

Your right. He shouldn't be considered any part of the answer for the QB situation in Dallas.
Unless he's brought in as a cheap backup, not interested.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Most of you are far better attuned to salary cap stuff than I am, so the first question deals with that, namely, does the availability of Philip Rivers change any of the thinking on Dak? That is, is there any scenario in which paying Rivers in the short term while looking to draft a QB in the long term ---then letting Dak go---make sense?

The second is Blake Jarwin. The knock I constantly hear on him is he doesn't block as well as Witten or doesn't block well at all. It seems there isn't much question that he is a playmaker with the ball and has real talent as a WR. So my question is, have any of you seen film or closely looked at his blocking? Is he that bad? Is he getting mauled? Whiffing? Poor technique? I once heard that blocking by a FB or WR is all about will (I think Michael Irvin said that), that anyone could block if they put their mind to it.

Is Jarwin worth committing to as a #1 TE and get him to block?

:laugh:....I take it you didn't watch Rivers @ all last year. He's done. Arm strength is gone....he tries to make up for it by anticipating throws....which leads to bad decisions..INTs.

Witten was never a good blocker.....ever. Go back to his glory days....never rocked anybody. He would avoid contact...and wall people off. How do you think he's lasted as long as he has? Because he's avoided contact...and the wear and tear that comes with that territory.

As far as I'm concerned...he's a progress stopper for Jarwin. He was developing....then Witten killed it for him. Was a bad decision to let come back. Not only killed Jarwin...but Schultz too...:(

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If we get a new QB, paying them anything over the $1 million Dak played for last year is too much. If we are going to go cheap at QB, let’s find another cheap rookie and roll the dice again.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Many posters here are ready to deal Dak for the best offer and avoid paying him a big pay day
They all judge him base on what he did under garrett, I want to see 1 year with him and the new coaching regime.
The only problem is he hasnt been signed, and they may tag him, he could hold out. Or at very least he wont be too happy or inspired playing 1 year tag deal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They all judge him base on what he did under garrett, I want to see 1 year with him and the new coaching regime.
The only problem is he hasnt been signed, and they may tag him, he could hold out. Or at very least he wont be too happy or inspired playing 1 year tag deal.
I agree with your wanting to see him one more year with this new coaching staff. The only way to facilitate that is through the franchise tag. It's the right thing to do for the team. That can not be delayed because of fears of Dak's reaction to it. This is why the lines of communication between the negotiating parties need to remain open and honest with each other. There needs to be absolutely no ambiguity about where each side is coming from. Dak wants to be a Cowboy and be paid fairly. Jerry wants Dak to be his QB at market price for many years. There is no reason both sides can't win with these negotiations.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree with your wanting to see him one more year with this new coaching staff. The only way to facilitate that is through the franchise tag. It's the right thing to do for the team. That can not be delayed because of fears of Dak's reaction to it. This is why the lines of communication between the negotiating parties need to remain open and honest with each other. There needs to be absolutely no ambiguity about where each side is coming from. Dak wants to be a Cowboy and be paid fairly. Jerry wants Dak to be his QB at market price for many years. There is no reason both sides can't win with these negotiations.
well I dont see jerry and his boy a very honest people.
That aside , they could also offer a 2 year deal @ 35 mil per and fully guarantee that, and I think dak would take it.
Thing is if they tag dak and he has a great year, his price then would go up , because market price would also rise.
I dont see the advantage of tagging him twice and signing him to a 2 year deal. Plus he would probably be happier with 2 year deal as opposed to
the tags.
Jerry wants to sign him long term, so later he is cheap, and dak wants a shot at a big payday which qbs will get when cap goes up in 22.

And tag or contract, either way team is going to have less money to spend on other players.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Dak has 36 interceptions in his 4 seasons. Rivers has thrown 63 picks during that time.

I don't think a turnover machine at QB is a good idea.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No to Rivers, next thing we know, someone will post to bring Eli out of retirement, though NY still has his rights, so a trade would be involved. But I would not put it past someone to suggest it. :laugh:
We do not need a progress stopper at QB and any aging ones at that. If they are going to go that direction may as well give up the draft and go after Burrow, and take their chances that way as he develops.

Jarwin was held back by this coaching staff, but what did he learn from Witten as well. This past year could make him improve from that experience. I am willing to see what this new staff can do, make a few adjustments in the schemes can make him a better blocking TE.
Still look for an additional TE, as if Witten returns or does not return, they need options no matter what.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is the real question about all of these Dak threads.
Especially for those saying tag Dak and trade or let another team sign him so we can get 2 1st rounds picks.

How insane does that sound. If a team thinks that highly of Dak to give up 2 1st rounds picks, then why would Dallas not want to keep him, as it is hard to find QB's that are at least consistently good.

10 years ago do you think NE would have taken 2 1st rounds picks for Brady. And don't get your panties in a wad over that, as I am not saying Dak is Brady.

As for letting Dak walk and bringing in an old vet QB such as Brady or Rivers, trade for Carr, what ever. This team is not ready for that, as with this defense and ST's until shown they will improve, no QB will come in here and carry the team. The offense can be pretty well set with Dak and Cooper, bring back Cobb, draft and develop a TE along with Jarwin. But a team still needs that defense and ST's to do their part as well.