Two questions from yesterday.

aikemirv

Reaction score
1.How was Rodgers pass an "illegal forward pass"

2. What do the Giants have on Al Michaels? - I mean the lengths he went to to explain how Eli was not over the line and the fevor he proclaimed it and the insistence on Jacobs TD!

WhizKid

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Al Michaels went an extra step to explain how Eli was behind the line... It was quite annoying...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;2411227 said:
I was thinking the same thing. Al Michaels went an extra step to explain how Eli was behind the line... It was quite annoying...

He doesn't have to be behind the line. As long as his entire body and the ball aren't both completely past the line of scrimmage -- as long as some part of him or the ball is on or behind the line -- it's a legal pass. And his foot wasn't past the line.

On the Rodgers penalty, the official announced "illegal forward pass," but the NFL is saying that it actually was intentional grounding. Whether it was a good call or not depends entirely on the definition and interpretation of "the vicinity of an eligible receiver."

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Shrug, maybe it's because he is a native of Brooklyn. (Al Michaels)

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
What was really annoying was that the red line on TV marking the line of scrimmage was off by almost a foot ( you could see the marker on the sideline ) but neither of the doofuses could see that. They kept remarking on the tv redline, but if you went by the actual marker, it was obvious he was NOT fully passed the line.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dhragon;2411294 said:
What was really annoying was that the red line on TV marking the line of scrimmage was off by almost a foot ( you could see the marker on the sideline ) but neither of the doofuses could see that. They kept remarking on the tv redline, but if you went by the actual marker, it was obvious he was NOT fully passed the line.

And... the line of scrimmage is a LINE, not a 10 inch red imposed mark on the field

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2411286 said:
He doesn't have to be behind the line. As long as his entire body and the ball aren't both completely past the line of scrimmage -- as long as some part of him or the ball is on or behind the line -- it's a legal pass. And his foot wasn't past the line.

On the Rodgers penalty, the official announced "illegal forward pass," but the NFL is saying that it actually was intentional grounding. Whether it was a good call or not depends entirely on the definition and interpretation of "the vicinity of an eligible receiver."
did they change the rule? I thought last year any part of your body across the LOS resulted in a penalty.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;2411227 said:

You got that right....:starspin

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Rampage;2411506 said:
did they change the rule? I thought last year any part of your body across the LOS resulted in a penalty.
No. You might remember Romo threw a TD in New York last year where he was mostly across the line, but his leg wasn't, so there was no penalty.

It was an ugly balloon-looking throw to Curtis, I think, but it still counted.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rampage;2411506 said:

That's been the rule for a few years, at least. I've searched some places that list a history of NFL rule changes and see nothing about that rule, so it might have always been the rule.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I didn't get to see the Rodgers play much, but from what I did see he looked out of the pocket and it looked like it went past the line of scrimmage. Am I wrong?

mwj473

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2411838 said:
I didn't get to see the Rodgers play much, but from what I did see he looked out of the pocket and it looked like it went past the line of scrimmage. Am I wrong?

It did not make it back to the line of scrimmage.

Whether there was an eligible receiver was close is very debateable.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
They called the pass illegal didn't they.

Well after looking at the replay you can't tell me that there was irrefutable evidence to over turn.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
aikemirv;2411202 said:
1.How was Rodgers pass an "illegal forward pass"

Not a single dang thing. It was a horrible call.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2411286 said:

He was outside the pocket, so all he had to do was get it passed the LOS.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;2412151 said:
He was outside the pocket, so all he had to do was get it passed the LOS.

It landed a couple of yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2412225 said:
It landed a couple of yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Ah, didn't realize that.

Doesn't have to just be thrown "Near" the LOS though?