1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

News: Tyler Smith report card week 2 from PFN

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Sep 22, 2022.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

29,184 Messages
    22,047 Likes Received
    Cowboys OT Tyler Smith: B

Dr. Strange ran through 14,000,605 scenarios after Tyron Smith’s injury, and only one of them had Tyler Smith allowing just one sack in his first two NFL starts at left tackle. The Tulsa tackle turned guard turned back to tackle after an offseason learning guard wasn’t supposed to succeed.

His tackle tape at Tulsa was a good enough reason to move him inside at the NFL level. There would have been no odds juicy enough to bet that he’d be the best rookie tackle through two weeks of the season. Yet here we are.

Not only has he become more technically sound as a pass protector on the outside, but he also remains just as dominant a run blocker as he was at Tulsa. His physicality and athleticism got him drafted in the first round. His work ethic and ability to learn quickly could make him not just the long-term answer at left tackle but the reason Tyron Smith is no longer a Cowboy in 2023.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-rookie-report-card-week-2-2022/

2. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
  3. DogFace

DogFace Carharris2

11,935 Messages
    13,757 Likes Received
    That’s that block^^^they say is really hard and he did it flawlessly. I love hearing stuff like that.

His footwork reminds me of a video with Mark Stepnoski showing perfect footwork and sealing ability.

4. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

11,407 Messages
    18,907 Likes Received
    Yes, the Cowboys should move him to guard and interrupt what may be the most fortuitous draft pick in recent memory.

5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    Fortuitous???

LOL

So many Tyler haters and doubters are experts on him now. HILARIOUS.

Giants have one of the most effective 3rd down defenses in NFL.

Placing Tyler in between Rimington Winner Biadasz and future HOFer Jason Peters will make the TEAM more efficient because the communication AND recognition will improve.

6. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

24,248 Messages
    22,501 Likes Received
    Our staff developed a player?
    Just not possible

817Gill and boysfanperiod like this.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

29,184 Messages
    22,047 Likes Received
    This is the part of his game nobody talks about and he moves some large bodies in the run game.

mahoneybill, Techsass and BAT like this.
  8. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Confused about stuff

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    43,907 Messages
    81,831 Likes Received
    I believe he meant "fortuitous" that he was there when we were up.

BTW, how the Hell are there 2 people in the world named Wink Martindale???

duro420, KeepinTime, xwalker and 10 others like this.
  9. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

29,965 Messages
    21,670 Likes Received
    sorry still NO..peters at LG maybe but nope not moving Smith..Ciowboiys will not move him. take that keyboard GMing somewhere else. not even for Tyrone when he comes back, tired of mansplaining too you

Its his job now. Peters and Tyrone can swing or take Steeles spot etc you let him learn all 17..he will be better for it in 2023..77 will either retire or be the Swing., its time. like Romo at some point enough is enough,. Gelling and consistency is KING especially on the OL!

duro420, Acceptablename and nightrain like this.
  10. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

5,938 Messages
    16,948 Likes Received
    Yep. This is what concerns me. Kellen and the offense feeling confident after a close W that was nearly an inexcusable L — and forgetting to do their homework and preparing for a DC that has to be licking his chops to stick it to Dallas on a big stage.

Find their weakest link on defense, hit it as hard as you can and exploit it. Don’t crawl into the “try not to lose the game” shell Kellen seems to like to find once he thinks he’s done enough and can take his foot off the gas

RS12 and BAT like this.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    He more likely meant fortuitous because Tyler turned out good since he and his ilk hated the pick and considered him a reach for a 2nd rounder.

Many on CZ claimed Tyler would have been available in 2nd round.

RS12 likes this.
  12. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    What was your opinion on Tyler before draft again?

ScipioCowboy likes this.
  13. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    64,154 Messages
    76,077 Likes Received
    TS73 made Pete Schraeger’s list of top 5 rookies that had good games this past week. On GMFB.
    So there is that.

RS12 likes this.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

29,184 Messages
    22,047 Likes Received
    Nah. Whether you believed he should have been the pick at 24 or not, or was over drafted or not, generally what is perceived as high end QBs and high end O Lineman always go fast in the draft as they are premium positions Bottom line you are correct, he was not going to be there at 56 or the second round at all.

BAT likes this.
  15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

12,846 Messages
    12,399 Likes Received
    Playing the Titans and the Panthers helps with that stat.

Not that we don't have our issues on offense but this is hardly a reason to be scared of them, especially since Kavon and possibly Leonard Williams won't play.

16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    :banghead:

17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

29,184 Messages
    22,047 Likes Received
    Not saying Philbin had nothing to do with it, but having two likely future HOFers brains to pick doesnt hurt either.

BAT likes this.
  18. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

17,438 Messages
    9,041 Likes Received
    I’ve said it before. Stop living in the past. Peters is not even an avg starting left tackle anymore. If he was even average, he’d be starting for an NFL team. He is a swing tackle. If he starts at guard, it’s only because we don’t have an average guard there. We did not sign a left tackle savior. Do not move Tyler.

19. sjmike

sjmike Well-Known Member

564 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    I agree.If Peters will play LG, put him there until Mcgovern comes back and then he moves to swing

20. cmoney23

cmoney23 Well-Known Member

1,186 Messages
    1,526 Likes Received
    I remember this one live and the replay on TV. I said to my wife (watching the game with me) that to cut down and seal like that is so insanely good.

He will have bad games, etc. but I said it when we drafted him (after watching tape) that he's really, really good.

mahoneybill and Runwildboys like this.