CFZ Tyler Smith’s challenge

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first round pick is coming in with the most unique challenge of any rookie player.

He is replacing a penalty machine, which is the main reason he is gone, with the same rep he got in college. He committed multiple penalties when facing better DL on better teams.

I do not recall another situation like this and while he has the customary challenge of playing NFL OL as a rookie, he has baggage he must unpack or the fans are going to be on him as they were Williams.

The strength of Smith’s game is aggression and power which are going to exacerbate his challenge to try and play a clean game. I saw some video of his play at Tulsa and am not sure all of those penalties were justified but that doesn’t matter, he is a rookie with a rep coming in and that is an unique challenge.

This is also a challenge for the OL coaching staff because they failed to cure Williams and went so far to bench him.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
And don't think for a moment the refs don't know these players and their reputations even coming from college. Then you have Philbin teaching the GB OL pass blocking technique which is what got CW in so much trouble. I'm thinking this penalty issue may not be corrected. Good coaching may can correct it.

As always I'm in a wait and see posture on these Cowboys decisions but my radar is activated.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'll add that typically when an O linemen gets a crap-ton of penalties it';s because he's not big and strong enough at the point of attack. I don't think he had any choice.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
And don't think for a moment the refs don't know these players and their reputations even coming from college. Then you have Philbin teaching the GB OL pass blocking technique which is what got CW in so much trouble. I'm thinking this penalty issue may not be corrected. Good coaching may can correct it.

As always I'm in a wait and see posture on these Cowboys decisions but my radar is activated.
I dont believe the refs know the player's history in college. Unless it was like Joe "Ike Turner" Mixon or Jameis "crablegs" Winston. But not for holding calls. I do believe they get an NFL rep though. CW was known for holding and was def on the zebra radar. The O Line has regressed recently. Team needs to do a better job coaching them up.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Conner Williams wasn't naturally strong enough to play LG position at a dominating level. He was our smallest offensive lineman and the position he played required him to take on the defenses biggest defensive lineman. So his struggles with penalties was never going to end.

Tyler Smith does have the size and strength to play LG at a high level. So I really don't expect penalties to be something he struggles with. LG's do not have to protect as much space as LT's do. Plus I don't think he'll be throwing DT's, in the NFL, to the ground like he did the DE's in college. The DE's he threw to the ground in college would grab him and pull him down too. Two guys falling to the ground like that always looks like holding.

So I think he'll be alright, as far as penalties go.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I dont believe the refs know the player's history in college. Unless it was like Joe "Ike Turner" Mixon or Jameis "crablegs" Winston. But not for holding calls. I do believe they get an NFL rep though. CW was known for holding and was def on the zebra radar. The O Line has regressed recently. Team needs to do a better job coaching them up.

You don't think players go on the refs' radar as soon as they get drafted or signed by the Cowboys even if they've never committed a penalty ever?
/s

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The first round pick is coming in with the most unique challenge of any rookie player.

He is replacing a penalty machine, which is the main reason he is gone, with the same rep he got in college. He committed multiple penalties when facing better DL on better teams.

I do not recall another situation like this and while he has the customary challenge of playing NFL OL as a rookie, he has baggage he must unpack or the fans are going to be on him as they were Williams.

The strength of Smith’s game is aggression and power which are going to exacerbate his challenge to try and play a clean game. I saw some video of his play at Tulsa and am not sure all of those penalties were justified but that doesn’t matter, he is a rookie with a rep coming in and that is an unique challenge.

This is also a challenge for the OL coaching staff because they failed to cure Williams and went so far to bench him.
smith had 16 penalties at lower college level in about 12 games....not sure if he is any less penalty prone, until we see him in NFL. but perhaps he is stronger and wil make at least a few plays to negate the penalties which is something Williams couldn't do

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, didn't know he had problems himself with penalties. That's a weird fitting puzzle then, to our OL equation. Lets hope the kid can find a good middle space.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Smith still needs to learn technique to play LG.he has less margin for error at LG than at OT,one bad hand placement(his weakness) and a quick DT like Donald will be sitting on top of Prescott.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

I've read that part of #52's problem with penalties was his lack of great strength/power. That won't be a problem for Tyler Smith.

Tyler's problem is technique, which can be fixed thru hard work and good NFL coaching. Send him to Duke Manyweather for the summer. Problem solved! :D

ESisback

Reaction score

IMHO, they failed to cure Williams because his penalties came from holding in pass protection at the point of attack, due to a lack of strength—which can’t really be coached. IF they can channel Smith’s strength and aggression, he could be a HUGE upgrade, especially in the run game.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Tyler be like.....
200.gif

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
it is no doubt easier but Smith main problem has to be corrected if he has to stick there at OG,

He's not 'sticking' at LG, he was drafted (at no.24) as he's potentially our starting LT of the future. Just found the physical attributes to play the lesser position inside as he acclimatises to the NFL..

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
He's not 'sticking' at LG, he was drafted (at no.24) as he's potentially our starting LT of the future. Just found the physical attributes to play the lesser position inside as he acclimatises to the NFL..
Correct. The plan is he will be playing LT by about week 10 when Tyron is ailing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMHO, they failed to cure Williams because his penalties came from holding in pass protection at the point of attack, due to a lack of strength—which can’t really be coached. IF they can channel Smith’s strength and aggression, he could be a HUGE upgrade, especially in the run game.
Agree, all I am saying is he has a challenge I do not think any other rookies have and do we think the refs are not aware of his penalty issues at Tulsa?

The best part of Smith is they do not have to beef/strengthen him up and he is a lot less vulnerable to the bull rush from a 325lb DT. Every DC the Cowboys faced knew the weak point on that OL. The quicker and more agile DT's might be a problem because they're a problem for a lot of OG's.

Smith is a project but not like Williams, they need to get him not to commit obvious penalties and cheat out of sight. Williams knew he was not ready for being a NFL OG coming in, I do not see that in Smith, Plus he's got that mean 'n nasty side.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I am really wanting to see how this guy pans out.
One of the biggest questions of this camp.
Hope for all Cowboy fans he is a fast starter and learner.
We really need him to be able to start from game one...
Not much quality depth on the Oline this year, if any.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

I’ve got to agree but this year only

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Maybe, maybe not. Zack Martin played 3 seasons Left Tackle for Notre Dame and was drafted 16th and is still the starting Right Guard for the Cowboys