Tyler Smith will make at least 5 all pro teams as a guard

Nexx

Reaction score
he will be great at either position. put your best five out there.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Even if Tyron comes back and plays like an all pro it probably just changes the narrative from releasing him this offseason to trading him. Time will tell, and honestly I'm very hesitant to take a hard stance approach on this topic as you never know, I just see it as being very difficult to keep Smith. Yeah he's a great value for a top T in the league, but the guy hasn't played a full season since 2015 and only played 13 games in 2020,2021, and so far in 2022 combined. The Cowboys need some cap relief next year in the worst way and if you can move on from Tyron with a replacement on the roster, free up $10MM and get a 3rd or 4th round pick back it makes a lot of sense to do it.

Decent point about the last 3 years.
It comes down to what doctors say to Jerry, which I'm not privy to.
I see 20mil in cap relief by cutting Zeke and letting Schulz go. It doesn't look so dire to me

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No, he play LT in 2023 and beyond.

Depending on how Tyron does when he comes back, I could see him giving it one more year. But yes, I can't see Tyler playing guard enough to make five all-pro teams at the position. At most, he'll go back to guard when Tyron returns this year and then go back to tackle when Tyron gets hurt again or decides to call it quits.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Even if Tyron comes back and plays like an all pro it probably just changes the narrative from releasing him this offseason to trading him. Time will tell, and honestly I'm very hesitant to take a hard stance approach on this topic as you never know, I just see it as being very difficult to keep Smith. Yeah he's a great value for a top T in the league, but the guy hasn't played a full season since 2015 and only played 13 games in 2020,2021, and so far in 2022 combined. The Cowboys need some cap relief next year in the worst way and if you can move on from Tyron with a replacement on the roster, free up $10MM and get a 3rd or 4th round pick back it makes a lot of sense to do it.

I think it depends on whether we let McGovern walk, like we did Williams. I could see us doing that if Tyron wants to try to go one more year, then drafting a third- or fourth-round guard to be the eventual replacement when Tyler slides back in at tackle.

Wild card for me is Waletzko. We only got to see him briefly, but I liked what I saw. Could turn out that him at left tackle and Tyler at left guard is a better combination for the team than Tyler at left tackle and whoever at left guard.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Tyler smith has made Tyron expendable. Do you guys not see how Stephen is building this team? The patriots way. We have a cheaper serviceable player to replace an injury prone high dollar deal. Of course he’s gone. Think Tony to dak

blueblood70

Reaction score
Remember this post. Thoughts? He’s powerful with a mean streak. He’s also more athletic than most guards.
FALSE!!

He wont be a guard LONG, he is our future LT , lets stop forcing him into a G , LT are hard to find hes proven to be a LT of the future.,. so the move would be temporary

why do fans post this nonsense knowing what we know from this years and Tyrone's careers all but over...

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, he play LT in 2023 and beyond.
right, what are fans smoking that they need to post nonsense they know not to be true.. sesems they are upping their post counts if you watch the new posts being strung out like one long thought split into 10 new front page posts ..

Reaction score
If Tyron finishes out the season looking like Tyron, he's almost certainly back. Wouldn't be surprised if they extend him in the offseason.

We spent 7 figures on Schulz. We'll keep spending it on Tyron until the wheels fall off. At least next year.

McGovern is in his contract year this year. Biadasz and Steele next year.

If Tyron can't come back, or he doesn't look like Tyron, then maybe they move on. Maybe. Even then we probably wouldn't find out til training camp.
Tyron may be back next year, but there is no way they will extend him. That would be insane given all his injuries

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depending on how Tyron does when he comes back, I could see him giving it one more year. But yes, I can't see Tyler playing guard enough to make five all-pro teams at the position. At most, he'll go back to guard when Tyron returns this year and then go back to tackle when Tyron gets hurt again or decides to call it quits.

If they retain Tyron, it will be because Jerry pushes Stephen to do it. If you listen to a lot of interviews with Stephen, his approach and mindset is fairly obvious. He hates paying more than they get in return.

Tyron has played 13 of a possible 43 regular season games from the beginning of 2020 to present. Based on contract average, he was intended to get paid 36M for 48 games but at this point he has been paid 36M for 13 games with 6 of the 48 remaining.

Before last season Tyron always played at an All-Pro level when he returned from missing games; however, in last season's playoff game he was terrible. They should have played Steele at LT in that game.

The one issue other than Jerry that might influence SJ to keep Tyron is the issue of LG. McGovern will be a free agent. Connor Williams got a contract with the Dolphins averaging 7M. The decision could come down to:
- Tyron @13.6M or McGovern @8M.

They won't do both.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Do you even know the difference in OG and OT?
Tyron CAN'T STAY HEALTHY playing at the LT position anymore so bounce the stud inside to the LG position and watch him become that LG FLATBACKER that the Cowboys have so badly needed for the next few years, Peters looked pretty good at that spot when they plugged him in at the LG spot so give Tyron the same opportunity.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The one issue other than Jerry that might influence SJ to keep Tyron is the issue of LG. McGovern will be a free agent. Connor Williams got a contract with the Dolphins averaging 7M. The decision could come down to:
- Tyron @13.6M or McGovern @8M.

They won't do both.

I agree with that, which is why I think he stays if he comes back and plays well in the last few games and playoffs. A healthy Tyron and Tyler is better than Tyler and McGovern. I'm sure they don't think they are going to get a 17-game healthy Tyron, but a 13-game Tyron might still be more palatable than McGovern. And I'm not down on McGovern. He's just not in the same class as they are.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Tyron's salary for 2023 is 13.6M.

I just don't see Stephen Jones keeping him another season.

I agree, and if Tyron comes back for the last four or five games I'm not convinced he makes it through them healthy. Couldn't even make it out of camp without his hamstring coming apart and he's had knee, back, and neck issues forever.