UDFA Central Missouri’s Derrick Puni

bodi

Reaction score
Central Missouri’s Derrick Puni 6 -4 #320

On the pro-day circuit, some small-school players stand out, and Puni is one of them of this year. The 6-foot-4, 326-pound er has good size and was athletic in the field work. His numbers of a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-1 broad jump, 4.77 seconds in the short shuttle, and 1.84 seconds in the 10-yard split were all very impressive numbers for an offensive lineman. He has special athleticism to project as a swing tackle/guard backup who could develop into a starter. Puni could end up being a late-round pick or a priority free agent who ends up being a steal.

https://ucmathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4681

bodi

Reaction score
I see why Mitch Hyatt did not get drafted he does not have men streak in him maybe Columbo can bring it out in him

Mr_437

Reaction score

On the pro-day circuit, some small-school players stand out, and Poni is one of them of this year. The 6-foot-4, 326-pound er has good size and was athletic in the field work. His numbers of a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-1 broad jump, 4.77 seconds in the short shuttle, and 1.84 seconds in the 10-yard split were all very impressive numbers for an offensive lineman. He has special athleticism to project as a swing tackle/guard backup who could develop into a starter. Poni could end up being a late-round pick or a priority free agent who ends up being a steal.

Puni moves well for his size. I don't think Colombo should waste any time placing this guy at OT... I'd start him off at OG right away. Puni has the movement, strength n agility to have a chance as a OG. Interesting to see how he does vs NFL players.

bodi

Reaction score
Puni moves well for his size. I don't think Colombo should waste any time placing this guy at OT... I'd start him off at OG right away. Puni has the movement, strength n agility to have a chance as a OG. Interesting to see how he does vs NFL players.

agreed I think he could handle Xavier Su'a-Filo place

RandyOh

Reaction score
Just in terms of size and Athleticism he matches up almost identically to Jason Peters who went undrafted and was a practice squad player for a couple years before earning a starting spot. Their combine/Pro day numbers are almost identical like i had said. Only thing Peters was clearly better is 40 time but that is a useless number after the 10 yard split for big uglies. Not claiming we found another Peters but who knows. i would put him at RT and see if we have anything after a couple years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

On the pro-day circuit, some small-school players stand out, and Puni is one of them of this year. The 6-foot-4, 326-pound er has good size and was athletic in the field work. His numbers of a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-1 broad jump, 4.77 seconds in the short shuttle, and 1.84 seconds in the 10-yard split were all very impressive numbers for an offensive lineman. He has special athleticism to project as a swing tackle/guard backup who could develop into a starter. Puni could end up being a late-round pick or a priority free agent who ends up being a steal.

Those D2 DLinemen had no chance against him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just in terms of size and Athleticism he matches up almost identically to Jason Peters who went undrafted and was a practice squad player for a couple years before earning a starting spot. Their combine/Pro day numbers are almost identical like i had said. Only thing Peters was clearly better is 40 time but that is a useless number after the 10 yard split for big uglies. Not claiming we found another Peters but who knows. i would put him at RT and see if we have anything after a couple years.

I took Ht, Wt and forty from draftscout and the remaining info from Walterfootball for Puni.

Derrick Puni
Ht.................: 6 ft 4 1⁄2 in
Wt................: 313 lb
40-yard dash: 5.29 s
10-yd split....: 1.84 s
20-yd split....:
20-ss............: 4.77 s
3-cone..........:
Vert jump......: 32 in
Broad............: 9 ft 1 in
BP.................:

Jason Peters
Wt................: 328 lb
40-yard dash: 4.93 s
10-yd split....: 1.89 s
20-yd split....: 2.98 s
20-ss...........: 4.79 s
3-cone.........: 7.72 s
Vert jump.....: 31 1⁄2 in
Broad..........: 9 ft 7 in
BP...............: 25 reps

RandyOh

Reaction score
I took Ht, Wt and forty from draftscout and the remaining info from Walterfootball for Puni.

Derrick Puni
Wt................: 313 lb
40-yard dash: 5.29 s
10-yd split....: 1.84 s
20-yd split....:
20-ss............: 4.77 s
3-cone..........:
Vert jump......: 32 in
Broad............: 9 ft 1 in
BP.................:

Jason Peters
Wt................: 328 lb
40-yard dash: 4.93 s
10-yd split....: 1.89 s
20-yd split....: 2.98 s
20-ss...........: 4.79 s
3-cone.........: 7.72 s
Vert jump.....: 31 1⁄2 in
Broad..........: 9 ft 7 in
BP...............: 25 reps
Not much difference other than straight line speed. Was their a reason why Puni didn’t do bench press? He have an injury?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
And if I'm not mistaken he played closer to 325-330 last season. 313 is probably best shape of his life. He's a big dude, even for a big dude.

RandyOh

Reaction score
He wasn't invited to the combine, which is where BP numbers usually come from.
Ah okay. Thought they did BP at pro days but I suppose that’s easy to allow terrible reps pass and give a player a high BP count at pro days

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much difference other than straight line speed. Was their a reason why Puni didn’t do bench press? He have an injury?

The info on him was limited. I don't know if he didn't do the bench press or if it was just not listed. I also don't have hand and arm measurements for him.

RandyOh

Reaction score
The info on him was limited. I don't know if he didn't do the bench press or if it was just not listed. I also don't have hand and arm measurements for him.
NFL draft scout has his pro day measurements.

Arm length: 34 3/8
Hand size: 10 1/8
Wingspan: 83 1/2

He also did bench press at pro day. 19 reps at 225 lbs

Hmm would have thought he was stronger with how he handles d lineman

Rayman70

Reaction score
Justin Philips looks like a box safety conversion all the way...just sayin. Very intriguing prospect.

bodi

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-assessing-the-udfa-linebackers

Name: Justin Phillips

Position: LBCollege: Oklahoma State

Height/Weight: 5’11/224

Scouting Report:

◦Another confident tackler. Phillips always wraps up, and he does a nice job of chasing the ball.
◦Can work down the line of scrimmage and make the play.
◦Despite his smaller stature, he plays with some range. He has a real nose for the ball.
◦Will work himself into position to make the stop.
◦Plays with a burst. Can close some ground when he's on the move.
◦This is a physical player along the goal line. He’s not afraid to step up and make the tackle.
◦Shows some pop as a blitzer. Can affect the pocket when he rushes.
◦If he does have an issue, there are snaps where he needs to play better with his hands. It’s not uncommon to see him get hung up on blocks.
◦He needs to be more careful not to guess on the play. You will see him take the wrong side on occasion.
◦There are snaps where he's too aggressive and he gets washed out of the play.
◦His instincts aren’t ideal, as you can see he needs to find the ball quicker in coverage. But I respect the way he plays the game -- tough