UDFA TE David Wells

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've wondered if the Cowboys screwed up Escobar. If he was drafted by a team that used him as a big WR ala Jimmy Graham instead of trying to make him into a legit blocker, would he have been at least moderately successful? One year he had 4 TDs on 9 total catches.

People claim they screwed up Chaz Green by trying to make him a Guard.

I know he failed to stick with other teams after the Cowboys but his confidence might have been shot by then.

I think they did X. To me, he was a pass catching TE from the get go. I don't believe he was ever going to be an inline blocking TE. Just wasn't there and you know as well as I do, you gotta have a lot of want in order to be an effective pass blocker. You gotta be willing to sacrifice your body a little bit and if you are not 100% bought in to that, you are likely not going to be able to be an effective blocker. That, to me, was never Escobar.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
scouts-notebook-043018-wells.jpg

Read

David Wells, TE, San Diego State, 6-6, 256
  • Lines up as an inline "Y" tight end. Doesn’t play like most college tight ends.
  • Has the strength to hold defensive linemen in place along the line. Physical player.
  • Will finish his block. Can get some movement along the edge. Position blocker on the second level.
  • Works well on the combo block. Can grab the edge in the running game.
  • Will stay in to pass block. Nice set and punch, keeps his feet active.
  • Plays with some initial quickness off the line.
  • Catches the ball well and then gets up the field. Takes him a little time to get going. Not the fastest. Will try and run over the tackle.
  • Can adjust to the ball over his head. Will find space to help his quarterback.
  • Can makes the contested catch. Doesn’t struggle with men on his back.

Stats indicate he caught 3 passes in this game and 1 pass each for all other 2017 games.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they did X. To me, he was a pass catching TE from the get go. I don't believe he was ever going to be an inline blocking TE. Just wasn't there and you know as well as I do, you gotta have a lot of want in order to be an effective pass blocker. You gotta be willing to sacrifice your body a little bit and if you are not 100% bought in to that, you are likely not going to be able to be an effective blocker. That, to me, was never Escobar.

Exactly......the player either takes pride to be a good/effective blocker or not. Kinda an attitude thing. Remember Martellius Bennett once saying how he took pride and worked hard on his blocking skills because he knew he would see many targets as Witten backup. Same can be said for WRs and RBs also.......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing they are going to trust the season on a group TEs led by a ROOKIE 4h round pick w/o a solid veteran with NFL starting experience. But in their defense, I also realized there are number ways to replace Witten's impact ( mostly blocking and pass protection), so I probably should trust the process and let it play out.