UEFA Champions League Football

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, now that we're getting into the thick of the UEFA League, this thread will now be open for following the events of the UEFA.

Scores right now in leg 2 of the round of 16:

Juventus FC 1 Atletico Madrid Nil (Aggregate Juv 1 AM 2)
Real Madrid 1 Ajax 4 (Aggregate RM 3 Ajax 5)
Dortmund Nil Tottenham 1 (Ag Dortmund Nil Tottenham 4)
Porto 3 Roma 1 (Ag Porto 4 Roma 3)
PSG 1 Man U 3 (Ag PSG 3 Man U 3 - win to Man U on away goals)
Man City Nil Schalke 04 Nil (Aggregate 3-2 to Man City)

Tomorrow's fixtures

Bayern v Liverpool (Current Ag Nil to Nil)
Barcelona v Lyon (Current Ag Nil to Nil)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Juventes 2 Atl Madrid Nil Agg - 2-2 Extra time possibly pending.
Man City 3 Schalke Nil Agg - 6-2 to Man City

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Final results from today:

Man C 7 Schalke Nil (Man C wins 10-2)
Juventus 3 ATM Nil (Juv wins 3-2).

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Has any club ever done a better job of consistently producing top quality players?
Year after Year, decade after decade, They train 'em up, turn 'em loose and sell 'em on for big bucks.
Few, if any. You have to wonder why they don't try harder to keep a team together and be a consistent force in the CL?

Londonboy

Reaction score
Few, if any. You have to wonder why they don't try harder to keep a team together and be a consistent force in the CL?
The finances just aren't there in Dutch footie, They can't compete with the wages being paid by Europe's big boys.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Laters Ronaldo, Juve's gamble doesn't pay off.

Juve is not a good team without Ronaldo and they certainly wouldn't have made it as far they did in Cl without him. Their mistake was letting Buffon leave. He was the inspirational leader on the field. He directed the defense. Not an easy guy to replace. If he's still good enough to play for PSG, there was no reason for him to leave.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
I really don't like Juve so it pains me to stick up for them but, 7 serie a titles on the bounce and a champions league final appearance a few years ago, aye distinctly average. Buffon is finished and has been for a few years sadly.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Don't count Your Chickens, but I really hope You're right.
Well if Salah's injury is serious, I think it's safe to say it. It would take a monumental all time classic for Liverpool to come back. As for Ajax, I can see why you would say that. I really think they needed one more. But they have been better on the 2nd leg in the knockout rounds so we will see.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I went to school in the 80's, when Liverpool were always winning, lots of My Classmates were Liverpool "fans", even though none of 'em could find Liverpool on a map.
I REALLY HATE LIVERPOOL.
Well if Salah's injury is serious, I think it's safe to say it. It would take a monumental all time classic for Liverpool to come back. As for Ajax, I can see why you would say that. I really think they needed one more. But they have been better on the 2nd leg in the knockout rounds so we will see.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Cliff notes on how the UEFA Champions League Football works?

Is this the playoffs, regular season, other?

StylisticS

Reaction score
Cliff notes on how the UEFA Champions League Football works?

Is this the playoffs, regular season, other?
It's a little complicated. You qualify based on how you finished in your nations top league. The number of teams a league can send to the champions league is based on how many were sent in the last five years. For example, Spain and England can send four if you finish in the top 4 the prior season; while most other nations can only send one or two based on where they finished in their league the prior season. Once the champions league begins, you play in a group stage earlier in the league to determine who will play in the knockout round later on in the tournament.

You can also qualify for the Champions league if you win the Europa League. You qualify for that league again based on where you finish in your nations top league. It is a "lesser" tournament than the Champions league. Kind of like the NIT is to the NCAA tournament. In England, if you finish 5th (automatic) and 6th (play-in) the prior year, you qualify for the Europa League.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Champions League is similar to the original Superbowl. The Superbowl took the champions of 2 different leagues, the NFL and the AFL and pitted them against each other to see which league produced the greater champion.

UEFA Champions League takes the winners and runners ups of the various top leagues around Europe and have them face off to determine the ultimate champion of Europe. Since there are more than just 2 leagues, they play a tournament. The winners(and a few runners up) of each league from the 2017-2018 season participate in the UEFA Champions League in 2018-2019. This is done within the same time period of league play, which is why they play the UEFA Champions League games during the week.

CONCACAF, which governs North and Central America has their own Champions League tournament. This includes the winners of the MLS(USA's top league) and La Liga MX(Mexico's top league) and others. Each region has it's own champions league.