Umpire was out of position

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSkaven, Jan 17, 2022.

1. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    7,021 Messages
    5,774 Likes Received
    I know there’s a zillion threads about this, but I haven’t seen this posted.

I was in section C312 and I had a perfect view of the final seconds. My friend, seated next to me, was recording those last sections on his cell phone.

Yeah, it probably wasn’t the best play call but what I can tell you is that there was plenty of time still on the clock when Dak slid. He didn’t do anything wrong with the ball. There’s one referee who is charged with placing it.

Now you can call this conspiratal, you can say that this particular referee was daydreaming or maybe he just never expected a QB draw, but he was 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage when the play started and he stayed there until the moment that Dak slid.

Then, and only then, did he start sprinting toward the line to spot the ball. I watched this with my own eyes. No matter what Dak did with the ball or who he handed it to, there was a snowball’s chance in inferno that his referee was going to get there in time. None.

So go ahead and blame Kellen Moore. And trust me, I’m not one to say the fix was in. But the game was a comedy of errors by the officials and that ball should have been spotted with enough time for one more play call.

Remember one more thing:

There were controversial outcomes in the games against both the Raiders and Cardinals. If Dallas wins one of those games, they were playing Philly yesterday. If they win both, they had a bye week.

I get it - play well enough that the outcome can’t come down to a play decided by the referees. OK. But we were robbed yesterday, pure and simple.

Flame away.

2. goshann

goshann Well-Known Member

327 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    Yeah maybe. But we lost the game way before that

3. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

28,787 Messages
    60,177 Likes Received
    I don't care.

With 14 seconds left they put their chances on the foot speed of a 60 year old man to run up and set the ball. It was a stupid play in that situation.

lothos05, aaev84, lostar2009 and 40 others like this.
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

48,359 Messages
    26,128 Likes Received
    We shouldn't have been in a POSITION where we had to leave it in the hands of the refs.

5. tyke1doe

48,359 Messages
    26,128 Likes Received
    Funny :laugh: and excellent!:clap:

CapnCook, pjtoadie, jsb357 and 5 others like this.
  6. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

31,754 Messages
    26,260 Likes Received
    He actually did something wrong with the ball. He gave it to the Center to snap it, instead of looking for the ref and saying “here is the ball, we are already lined up and your wasting time”..

at least then they could have cried about it.

Dak’s explanation in the OC shows he still doesn’t get it. He says he spiked the ball. But that has zero to do with the issue, which is, you gave it to the center to hike it to you, when the ref is supposed to set the ball. This is what he said:

He then says,

Sounds like he’s making stuff up. First he says he’s not even sure what happened, then he says an umpire usually just taps it (sure Buddy), then he says he knew the ref was going to touch the ball…

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  7. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,515 Messages
    27,207 Likes Received
    I saw that too but they put the end of the game on a run play, within bounds and were counting on the ref to be there asap.

Low IQ play with the postseason on the line

lostar2009, Motorola, Silly and 7 others like this.
  8. Maverick84

Maverick84 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    5,387 Messages
    7,106 Likes Received
    it's our fault for letting the game come down to that, but at the same time it would have been nice to have one of those flying bottles find the face of Ramon George afterwards

stuckindc likes this.
  9. beacamdim

beacamdim Well-Known Member

552 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Yup. And aliens killed JFK.

Posting again:

Ranching, triplets_93, plymkr and 4 others like this.
  10. NeonNinja

NeonNinja Dash28

14,966 Messages
    11,733 Likes Received
    We didn’t lose because of that. No offense to you but I’m over our coach and players blaming refs for loss.

stinkface, Motorola, plymkr and 5 others like this.
  11. tyke1doe

48,359 Messages
    26,128 Likes Received
    :clap:

CutMeMick, Ranching and pjtoadie like this.
  12. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

18,723 Messages
    21,785 Likes Received
    Daks passes were out of position

Vandyr, Rainy, pjtoadie and 4 others like this.
  13. raw2war

raw2war Member

24 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    How does Dak not know the ref has to touch the ball. He’s not a rookie anymore.

Fastpitch Dad, Vandyr, Rainy and 6 others like this.
  14. Swagger

Swagger Well-Known Member

4,156 Messages
    4,627 Likes Received
    We would have still been on the 25 yard line. People seem to think it would have been a gimme from the 1 yard line! Amazing the spin coming out of the Cowboys can flip the narrative to blaming the officials for their own failings during the prior 59 minutes.

15. Maverick84

Maverick84 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    5,387 Messages
    7,106 Likes Received
    it doesn't matter if it was the 25 yard line or the 1 yard line or 99 yards away, what happened happened, and people are allowed to talk about it in isolation regardless

more than one thing can be true at the same time - we deserved to lose, and Ramon George deserved a bottle to the face

ActualCowboysFan likes this.
  16. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

13,370 Messages
    7,485 Likes Received
    Dak blew it. Ran for too many yards, wasted extra seconds and then did a full slide to waste even more time. I guess they did not trust Dak's endzone accuracy from the 40

17. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

3,328 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    I'm with you, we were less than one second away from getting one shot at the end zone to tie or win the game. I would have liked to have seen that.

However, it is terrible planning to rely on a 50+ year old umpire to react to a QB sneak and sprint with his 50 year old speed toward the new spot of the ball. (Mike Fisher pointed this out, and I agree with him.) Unfortunately, the Cowboys performance put them in a place where they relied on such a slim margin for success.

I think referees, in general throughout the season have ruined football with their inconsistency and incompetency. However, in this game, there's only 1 of the 14 called penalties that I think was whimsical on the officiating. The officiating was generally good, and the Cowboys didn't play hard enough to use that to their advantage.

Fastpitch Dad and Swagger like this.
  18. Swagger

4,156 Messages
    4,627 Likes Received
    Of course it can be talked about but surely the focus should be on how/why it reached the stage of relying on a fire drill from the 40 yard line with 14 seconds remaining as opposed to why the QB didn't simply hand the ball to the official.

19. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

50,964 Messages
    76,506 Likes Received
    This is why people make fun of Cowboys fans, because they assume we all think as silly as this.

No, we were not robbed. One, that ignores the reality that the team played terribly for 59 minutes of that game. But it also ignores the reality that even if we can stop the clock after the Dak run (which was a ********* stupid play call), the odds of us then getting a TD on that last play from like the 24 yard line is extremely unlikely.

So no, we were't robbed. We robbed ourselves.

20. Swagger

4,156 Messages
    4,627 Likes Received
    On a sidenote the officiating throughout this season has been horrific and ruined a number of games.