Undisputed-Greg Jennings surprised on Stephen Jones team-friendly deals advise:'It was all true'

conner01

Reaction score
Common sense
Every team wants players as cheap as they can get them
You can’t have 4-5 guys at max contracts and we’ve been able to get player like t smith at what ended up being a bargain price

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Jennings is totally correct and he hit on the key point. You can’t sell guys on taking less by promising greatness if they win Super Bowls while keeping Garrett as your head coach and Dak as your QB. Those guys are not Brady and Belichick and no one is that locker room has enough confidence in either one to accept a lesser deal. They know they aren’t becoming legends by continually underachieving due to the incompetence of Garrett and the limitations of Dak. Fix those spots and you might have a chance at convincing them to do what’s best for the team. Keep the status quo in Dallas and they will all want all their money now.

superonyx

Reaction score
The only way most people would take a “team friendly” deal is if the player decides that he is more likely to keep his job longer term and thus make more money in the long game because his contract isn’t as obnoxious.

Let the nfl teams start replacing some QBs partially because they make too much then you will see more team friendly deals.

Other than that we live in the most individualistic nation on earth and we have been conditioned to feel weak, embarrassed or stupid for not getting what’s ours.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The only one's that should determine salary is the guy paying the salary and the guy playing. "Team friendly" sounds wonderful, but the better players will always demand higher salaries. I doubt a new trend will change that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Stephen had a good point about players being able to make more money beyond their player salary by being with the Cowboys. Players who can't see that value aren't the right players for us to have.
Hmmm..

I think they know it.

But it's quite a manipulation of the truth.

The owners own the league..

the owners do the sponsor deals.

So the deals outside the salary cap are also controlled by the owners.

So what you are saying is the owners control additional money for players.

So trying to use this as a negotiating ploy seems weak.

They also keep mentioning no state income tax as additional reason to play in Dallas.

I have never seen that be an issue as to signing or not.

The FO needs to stop doing the player deals like this.

These players want fair market value for their career time.

Lame reasonings with lame contract offers like they just probably made to DAK are not going to help sign these guys.

The Lawrence thing was anything but smooth.

We got to be better than this.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jennings makes a great point.

Dak can set the tone. If he accepts a team friendly deal, that increases the likelihood of other guys following suit.
I do not know why they won't just revisit the cap say 2 years down the road and just redo the deal then.

Give him $25 mil now and more if he wins championships.

Do the same with Zeke and Cooper and Byron Jones.

These guys are just the tip of the iceberg right now.

There are like 30+ more after 2020.

Set it up so we can defer some of the really big numbers until the cap goes up more.

And the winning has to go up as well.

I am very nervous about all these guys being paid like Champions before they actually are.

Back in the 90s when we had the Triplets..their big deals came after a couple of big years.

We had something to show for the big contracts for Aikman, Deion, Irvin and Emmitt.

How do you do what they are about to do without more proof it's deserving?

Proof has to be in rings and trophies.

It's the only form of currency there is.

And right now it's been 25 years without any currency

We broke there.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Stephen is under some pressure these days.

If Brady was as obsessed with being the "highest paid" QB they wouldn't have won 6 SB's............he figured out a long time ago that by playing under a team friendly contract it would allow the team to surround him with better talent to win more SB's........and he was right, and they still may not be finished.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Who could blame a GM for trying to keep contract expenses to a minimum, especially since that's a primary function of the job? Tex Schram did just that, much to the chagrin of many a player's agent back in the glory days of the Dallas franchise. It would be great if Dak saw fit to give his team a team-friendly contract, although they surely benefitted from what was dealt them at a friendly rate for the last three years. Regardless, what comes in the days and weeks ahead will likely be representative of what todays crazily generous NFL QB contracts have come to be. Just a sign of the times, to be sure.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen are saying that whole they are buying 400 million dollar yachts...

And you can be sure if Dak takes a max contract, they aren’t convincing anybody on the team to take less, knowing how average he is as a QB. Especially Zeke who basically gets to see stacked boxes all day long because of how mediocre Dak is.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jennings makes a great point.

Dak can set the tone. If he accepts a team friendly deal, that increases the likelihood of other guys following suit.

I may be going on the limb a bit here but I'm 100% confidence Dak will agree to do a team friendly deal as long as it doesn't disrespect his value.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
They could, but they'll get less ratings.
Yes.

They are hysterical talking about basketball.

Even funnier with baseball..

two sports neither ever played.

So I can only listen to their Dallas rants.

They wager back and forth over cases of Mountain Dew..Skip is up like 100 cases over Shannon so far.

Any day I expect to see Skip with a Selfie in his bathtub at home full of Mountain Dew.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The owners own the league..

the owners do the sponsor deals.

So the deals outside the salary cap are also controlled by the owners.

So what you are saying is the owners control additional money for players.

So trying to use this as a negotiating ploy seems weak.

They also keep mentioning no state income tax as additional reason to play in Dallas.

I have never seen that be an issue as to signing or not.

The FO needs to stop doing the player deals like this.

These players want fair market value for their career time.

Lame reasonings with lame contract offers like they just probably made to DAK are not going to help sign these guys.

The Lawrence thing was anything but smooth.

We got to be better than this.

Players make their own sponsor deals. Owners make them for their teams. The NFL makes them for the league.

The players should make the best deal they can for themselves. So too should the Cowboys. Fact is that the Cowboys bring financial benefits other teams don't. Cowboys should certainly treat those benefits are part of the compensation they offer. If a player doesn't value those benefits, he's the wrong player for us to make a deal with.