Unpopular Football Opinions That You Have

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
What are some consensus football opinions that you vehemently go against the grain with. Are there certain players, coaches, or teams that you feel were extremely overrated - but everyone says you're nuts?

Go crazy, stand by your guns. If you think Skip Bayless is insightful, Peyton Manning sucks, or Pat McQuistan is handsome - this is the time to express your unpopular sentiments.

I personally think that Big Ben is a very average QB. He may have 2 rings at a young age but I don't think that if he was in a different situation he would have the same results. Great coaching, great defense, well-ran organization has made his job relatively easy, IMHO. Like I said, these are unpopular opinions that you hold.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Tom Brady is largely a system quarterback, witnessed by Matt Cassell's success; not unlike Elvis Grbac and Steve Bono looking good when filling in for Montana and Young.

Losing Terry Glenn in 2007 was more harmful than losing TO in 2009.
Terry Glenn worked better in the Cowboy game plan than TO and would've been awesome across from Roy Williams, too bad his knees became crap.

Four

Reaction score
Terry Glenn is the best receiver we have had since mike retired.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I think Belichick is over rated as a head coach.....he was a below average coach up until he stumbled on one of the best QBs to ever play 41-55 before Brady....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If we had gotten Ray Lewis two or three years ago, we would have been to a Super Bowl by now.

RS12

Reaction score
Not drafting William Beatty at 51 was a mistake.

Four

Reaction score
Roy Williams was a decent strong safety and was great against the run.

Nav22

Reaction score
Good thread.

- Eli Manning is still an average starting QB.

- If Felix and Tashard prove that their rookie years were no fluke, we should put Barber on the trading block next offseason.

- Tony Romo is anything but a "choker".

- Brett Favre should play as long as he damn well pleases, as long as there's a team out there willing to pay for his services.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Had Dallas drafted Tom Brady in 2000 there would be no additional Super Bowls.

Had Dallas discovered Kurt Warner in 1999 he would've not come off the bench in 2000 and led the team to glory.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Great thread.

• Anything any member of the media says about Donovan McChoke and praise for the Philadelphia Eagles organization (I think they treat their players other than mcnabb like ****.)
  • Any talk of "Romo shouldn't be golfing" and that he should be focusing on football 24/7. Get real people.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as the current free agency/salary cap system is in place, practically every single NFL team will have an opportunity to win a Super Bowl every single season, regardless of individual opinions based upon coaching, management, personnel, etc.

Aikbach

Reaction score
If Tom Brady is such a great quarterback why did Drew Henson start ahead of him at Michigan and Leonard DiCaprio in front of him with Giesel?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
There really is a history of bogus calls and non-calls going against the Cowboys and in favor of the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
1. Donovan McNabb is a great QB.

I think he's a massive under-achiever, given that he's had the benefit of playing QB in the vaunted and over-hyped West Coast Offense. Plus, playing his entire career in one place with one HC. Also, whenever the "he never had talent around him" bull comes up, nobody talks about how the Eagles defense is perennially one of the best in the league, year in and year out. He's a spoiled little brat who has been pouting ever since they booed him at the draft, and he plays that card whenever he feels dissed. He pouts and whines and sulks whenever the entire franchise does anything less than fawn all over him.

2. The genius of the "West Coast Offense".

Russ Francis, the "All World" tight end of yesteryear has ties in Hawaii and had his own sports talk show back in the 90's. One day, he's going on and on and on about how the WCO has won championships at every level, everywhere it's been employed.
So I call him and ask "Where has it won except in SF?" After calling me a few choice names and being embarassed, he had no answer and of course hung up on me.
Because the hoax called the West Coast Offense, that you'd swear that the Lord himself revealed to Bill Walsh, has won NOWHERE else except in SF under Walsh. And before you mention the Packers under Holmgren, Holmgren himself adamantly denied it and claimed his own version of an offense that won a SB.
They talk about how Bill Walsh's offense and people have spread about all over the NFL and brought his "genius" to over a dozen other NFL teams. Yet, for all the tentacles of the "brilliant" WCO that was supposed to change the entire game, it is now pretty faded-out with not a SINGLE other championship trophy to it's credit. It was nothing more than an ESPN love-fest over the Whiners for 15 years, and a WAY overhyped offense that won NOT because of the "genius" of the scheme, but the players that the Niners had on board for over a decade.

3. Brett Favre is an all-time great QB.

Total bull.

Brett Favre enjoyed a small window of success during the middle part of his career, lasting 6-7 years. And it all has to do with Mike Holmgren.

The earlier years of his career, he was a heart-attack and nightmare under center just waiting to happen. That's why the Falcons let him go. He got early press in Green Bay for his flamboyant and nerve-racking style and his "folksy" thing. Mike Holmgren came aboard and had to LITERALLY wrestle him down and tie him to a very short leash to avoid catastrophe.

He "thrived" I guess, under Holmgren. But you could trace the "pre-Holmgren" and "post-Holmgren" stats and W-L data, and it's clear that Favre is a "just don't lose the game" type of QB. What you never hear in all the stat talk about Favre is that he's also the all-time leader in INT's.
He'll make the HOF for sure, because John Madden will throw a personal hissy-fit if ANYONE votes "no" on the first ballot. Give him credit for playing for as long as he did and padding those stats and numbers. He gets "iron man" points for that.

He also gets an extra 40-50% bumb for playing in Green Bay. Anything above average in Green Bay is overblown and vaunted to the heavens, with visions of "The Frozen Tundra", "Lambeau Field", Vince Lombardi, etc, etc, etc.........If he played his career in say, San Diego or Kansas City or Detriot, he'd be good but not the "god" they make him out to be. I wouldn't take him as a QB as a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, even in his prime. Too dangerous.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LeonDixson;2807172 said:
There really is a history of bogus calls and non-calls going against the Cowboys and in favor of the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers.
:signmast:

JBS

Reaction score
Good thread

Since I did such a great job of talking about how wrong I was on players in the past, here are some opinions that I have recently hit on and some that are yet to be proven.

My opionions proven correct:

-Michael Vick will never be a franchise QB
-Vince Young will never be a franchise QB
-Philip Rivers will be a franchise QB (not completely proven yet but I believe he is a sure bet)
-Jay Cutler will be a franchise QB (ditto)

Opinions still up in the air

-Mark Sanchez will be the best QB out of this draft and a franchise signal caller in the NFL
-The New York Giants will NOT make the playoffs in 2009 and WILL get swept by the Dallas Cowboys
-Desean Jackson is no more than a #2 WR in the NFL
-Miles Austin will step up and have a big year and will be a better WR than Djax.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Aikbach;2807136 said:
Tom Brady is largely a system quarterback, witnessed by Matt Cassell's success; not unlike Elvis Grbac and Steve Bono looking good when filling in for Montana and Young.

Losing Terry Glenn in 2007 was more harmful than losing TO in 2009.
Terry Glenn worked better in the Cowboy game plan than TO and would've been awesome across from Roy Williams, too bad his knees became crap.

I agree, Terry Glenn was a great contributor during his time here. Really dynamic player that we haven't replaced. Outside of Witten, easily the 2nd most reliable receiver Romo has thrown to.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Rex Ryan will suck as a head coach and soon go the way of his father and other flavors of the week like Ron Rivera in 2006.