Upsets in the NFL- why you can’t count wins looking ahead

Reaction score
i agree, I think the Vikings will be tough. I do think we beat Denver and New Orleans though. I think we can beat KC too if we don’t turn it over and do dumb stuff. It’s the NFL so unlikely we win out or anything, always one of those games that just happens.

I'm just hoping this team can get rid of the sloppiness soon, that will go a long ways towards winning the games they should and maybe some they shouldn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The boys unfortunately have to play games on their schedule, San Diego was a big win no doubt and a feather in our cap.This team is a handful as most teams Defenses are set up to stop the pass, coming in with both a potent pass and running game is a nightmare for the DC's and puts lots of stress on the offense to score often. Enjoy the journey, this might turn into something special.

Oh I don’t feel bad.

New England had a dynasty because they got a free trip to the post season every year.

Tampa Bay might lose 2 games the rest of the year with their trash schedule.

Dallas is obviously a good team and I don’t need them playing a tough schedule to prove that to me.

Motorola

Reaction score
I mean.. I said Dallas was going to go on a run after the Chargers game.. It actually happened starting with the Chargers game.

I felt like we could go 7-0 during this stretch before the Chiefs but conservative guess was 5-2..

Dallas is good but the teams we are beating are kind of trash outside of San Diego.
But this past Sunday the Cowboys had to kick a FG with 20 seconds in regulation against one of those " kind of trash " teams to tie the game and extend it to overtime for a chance to pull out the win.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s always a fun fan exercise to look ahead on the schedule and “count the games we’re going to win”, then predicting a final season record accordingly.

The problem is the NFL has upsets happen almost weekly. Because the talent gap between the best and worst teams is not that big, predicting wins on the schedule is much harder to do in the NFL than in college football where the talent gaps can be giant.

Just look at the upsets that have happened so far in the NFL:
  • Pittsburgh upsets Buffalo in Buffalo on opening day, 23-16.
  • The Saints blast the pack on opening day 38-3.
  • The Chargers beat the chiefs in week 3 at Arrowhead 30-24.
  • The giants upset the Saints 27-21. (I’m sure we all had that one called)
  • The jets upset the Titans 27-24 in week 4.
  • The beagles upset the Panthers when they were hot 21-18.
  • The Titans beat the bills 34-31 last week on Mon night. (The team that got beat by the jets beat the AFCs best team, lol)
It’s clear by now that looking at the schedule and counting wins is not that easy. Im excited about this Cowboys team this year. But every game on the schedule- every one- will be a winnable AND lose-able game. That’s just the NFL.
Wise fans NEVER look ahead. I mean that’s just common sense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s always a fun fan exercise to look ahead on the schedule and “count the games we’re going to win”, then predicting a final season record accordingly.

The problem is the NFL has upsets happen almost weekly. Because the talent gap between the best and worst teams is not that big, predicting wins on the schedule is much harder to do in the NFL than in college football where the talent gaps can be giant.

• The Titans beat the bills 34-31 last week on Mon night. (The team that got beat by the jets beat the AFCs best team, lol)
It’s clear by now that looking at the schedule and counting wins is not that easy. Im excited about this Cowboys team this year. But every game on the schedule- every one- will be a winnable AND lose-able game. That’s just the NFL.
True but fortunately based on what we’ve seen we can project not only how we could finish but also our divisional foes.

Unless of course we have a multitude of injuries like to Dak I think it’s very predictable our divisional foes aren’t going to out pace us in wins . They may not even reach .500.

It’s never a complete lock but I’d wager some huge money on it.

If we don’t win this division this year it will be the biggest collapse in Cowboys history.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

The weather will mess this team up at some point...they should be better prepared for the cold games because of MM came from the cold down to TX, so he knows, or should know how to prepare for the cold.

Our team is having fun in the sun...just wait for the fog to roll in if they want the...SB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
  • The Bucs upset the Cowboys on a last-minute field goal, 31-29.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
No gimmes in the NFL. Every time youook past an opponent, they beat your &&&.

Got to play every game like it's a play in game. That's what winners do.

Zman5

Reaction score
This Vikings game is making me nervous.... with past good Cowboy teams, it has the makings of an upset. Hope they are ready after the bye. If they can come out and play their game, and win. It will show they truly are a different team and will be one to reckon with the remainder of the season. Keep it rolling Boys. :star:

Don't need to be worried. Patrick Peterson is on IR and Xavier Woods is their FS. Dak and the WRs are gonna feast.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bobs getting desperate. He sees we're winning the Super Bowl unless something drastic happens.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That’s the NFL in a nutshell.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I always told my players, I don't want to win every game, I just want to win the next game.

Praxit

Reaction score
...If Jets can be beat Tenn, then everything is up for grabs. ..;).

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Some of these aren't really upsets.

Tenn is just as good as Buffalo.
Cincy is better than Carolina
LAC and KC is a division game and LAC always plays them tough.