USA Today: Felix Jones' punch felt in Cowboys offense

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rookie Focus: Felix Jones' punch felt in Cowboys offense

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

felixx-large.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys selected Felix Jones in the first round of the draft with the hope that he would add a breakaway threat to an already-potent offense.

The 22nd overall pick lost no time emerging as a major factor in a 4-1 start that has Dallas trailing the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants by a half game in the competitive NFC East race.

ROOKIE RB SUCCESSES: '08 crop is best group of young RBs in years
POWER RANKINGS: Cowboys at No. 3, trail first-place Giants

Jones needed only nine carries to produce a team-leading 96 yards in Dallas' 31-22 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals last Sunday, including a 33-yard scoring dash on fourth-and-1.

And he's already made his mark in Dallas' hard-to-dent record book. He set a club record with 247 kick return yards in a 41-37 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 2. A week later, he became the first rookie in Cowboys history to score a touchdown in each of his first three games.

In all, the Arkansas product has carried 27 times for 244 yards and three touchdowns. He has returned 15 kickoffs for 412 yards punctuated by a dazzling 98-yard return for a score against Philadelphia.

"He already approaches this game like a veteran with the time he puts in watching film," says linebacker Zach Thomas. "He's quiet and works hard on and off the field. (He's) definitely someone I'm rooting for."

THE PLAYER

• Hometown: Tulsa

• Ht.: 5-10 Wt.: 207

• College highlights: Teamed with more heralded Darren McFadden (drafted fourth overall by Oakland) for three years at the University of Arkansas. Averaged an eye-popping 7.7 yards per carry, second only to 1940s Army legend Glen Davis (8.2). Joined Davis, Mike Rozier (Nebraska, 7.16) and Reggie Bush (USC, 7.3) as the only backs to average more than 7 yards with a minimum of at least 350 attempts. Averaged 28.2 yards per kick return to rank ninth in NCAA history.

• Scouting report: Perfect fit to join Marion Barber in a two-back system. Shifty runner with quick feet and a great sense for finding creases. Has tremendous acceleration once he finds an opening. Needs to work on pass-catching to capitalize on his ability to make things happen in the open field. Patient runner, especially on kick returns, who will allow the action to develop in front of him before determining his running lane. Working to improve on blitz pickup and overall blocking skills.

• Quotable: "He's a special player with a unique style because he comes in off the bench and brings even more spark to this offense. It seems like all he does is make big plays." —Cowboys TE Jason Witten

THE PERSON

• I knew I was in the NFL: "When I arrived for rookie minicamp. I had some days to think about it and once I got here, it kind of hit me. I was a Cowboys fan growing up and I was actually getting a chance to put on a helmet with the star on the side, playing out my childhood dream."

• Biggest adjustment: "Probably the speed. You have to do everything fast and think fast."

• First purchase after signing: "I gave my father (Felix Jones Sr.) a Chevy truck. I was kind of excited I was able to do that for him. It was some way to pay him back for all of the things he did for me."

• Role model: "My father was a great role model for me. He was a very hard-working man. Sometimes when he didn't have time he made time. Stuff like that really makes me appreciate what he did for me."

• Favorite off-field activity: "I don't really do much. I play video games every now and then, watch a little TV and try to relax."

• On playing with Darren McFadden at Arkansas: "It took a lot of pressure off both of us. It was kind of tough to defend his running style and my running style. We both benefited from it because we didn't beat up our bodies every week."

• On his breakaway ability: "Your adrenaline is pumping and there is an extra burst you need to get past a defender and score."

• Life after football: "Getting into the carpentry business with my father. Making something on your own is one of the nice things about it."

• NFL dream: "Being inducted into the Hall of Fame. That would be a dream come true."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should win OROY the way he is playing.

We have the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2318281 said:
He should win OROY the way he is playing.

We have the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league.

I disagree with this....Guys like Slaton Johnson and Forte are way ahead of him for that award.....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2318284 said:
I disagree with this....Guys like Slaton Johnson and Forte are way ahead of him for that award.....

Its still to early to say either way.

This class of Rookies is so good its going to be tough to give it to a guy who doesn't get as many opportunities as others.

If Felix got the Rock more I think it would be his trophy in a landslide and thats saying something.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2318299 said:
Its still to early to say either way.

This class of Rookies is so good its going to be tough to give it to a guy who doesn't get as many opportunities as others.

If Felix got the Rock more I think it would be his trophy in a landslide and thats saying something.

Thats assuming he continues this torrid pace that he is on....more carries tend to lead to lower averages more injuries and more fumbles

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boyzmamacita;2318260 said:
Quotable: "He's a special player with a unique style because he comes in off the bench and brings even more spark to this offense. It seems like all he does is make big plays." —Cowboys TE Jason Witten
'nuff said.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the player, but I love the guy. He just seems like a good person that's got his head on straight.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
I like this:
• Life after football: "Getting into the carpentry business with my father. Making something on your own is one of the nice things about it."

That's keeping it real.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2318302 said:
....more carries tend to lead to lower averages more injuries and more fumbles

Or maybe more yards, more touchdowns, ... never mind.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
onetrickpony;2318440 said:
I like this:

That's keeping it real.

Yawp. That's the one that jumped out at me, too.

Audiman

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2318260 said:
"I was a Cowboys fan growing up and I was actually getting a chance to put on a helmet with the star on the side, playing out my childhood dream."

absolutely awesome!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
THE PERSON

• I knew I was in the NFL: "When I arrived for rookie minicamp. I had some days to think about it and once I got here, it kind of hit me. I was a Cowboys fan growing up and I was actually getting a chance to put on a helmet with the star on the side, playing out my childhood dream."

• First purchase after signing: "I gave my father (Felix Jones Sr.) a Chevy truck. I was kind of excited I was able to do that for him. It was some way to pay him back for all of the things he did for me."

• Role model: "My father was a great role model for me. He was a very hard-working man. Sometimes when he didn't have time he made time. Stuff like that really makes me appreciate what he did for me."

• Favorite off-field activity: "I don't really do much. I play video games every now and then, watch a little TV and try to relax."

• NFL dream: "Being inducted into the Hall of Fame. That would be a dream come true."
:bow:

Being something of a UA fan, I knew Felix would be incredibly fun to root for because he's such a great kid. Some people don't care about that, but I do.

But I wasn't sure he could do what he did in college at this level. So far he's not only done it, he's made it look easy.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2318753 said:
:bow:

Being something of a UA fan, I knew Felix would be incredibly fun to root for because he's such a great kid. Some people don't care about that, but I do.

But I wasn't sure he could do what he did in college at this level. So far he's not only done it, he's made it look easy.

Good points...I care too, although I knew nothing about the person.

And I definitely didn't predict this kind of impact :eek::

Manster68

Reaction score
Slaton 5.0 yards per carry
Johnson 4.5 yards er carry
Forte 3.6 yards per carry

Jones 9.0 yards per carry

I like it!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why are people "surprised" by his production? He is doing exactly what he did at Arkansas. Outstanding player and person.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2318808 said:
Why are people "surprised" by his production? He is doing exactly what he did at Arkansas. Outstanding player and person.
Well, I'm surprised because it was said that he was going to automatically be a bust and would lack big play potential as far back as the very day he was drafted.

I was misled. :(

I am so ashamed. :mad: