News: USAToday: 3 Prospects for Cowboys to watch in Tuesday's Pro Day slate

NewsBot

Reaction score
Although the Dallas Cowboys are finally digging into free agency this week, the draft has been their bread and butter over the past few years. On Tuesday, several collegiate programs are scheduled to have their Pro Days, which include a few key players the Cowboys and fans should keep an eye on.

Pro Days are a second chance for some, first for others, to show off their athletic traits in a controlled environment. Many players who weren’t completely healthy during February’s scouting combine, or weren’t ready for whatever reason, opted out of some or all of the drills and athletic tests. Pro Days offer a chance to test again, in a more favorable environment.

Here is a list of Tuesday’s schedule. All times are eastern.

Alabama, 12 p.m.
Albany (N.Y.), 8:30 a.m.
Bowling Green, 8:30 a.m.
California-Davis, 4 p.m.
North Carolina A&T, 10 a.m.
Louisiana Tech, TBD
Penn State, 10 a.m.
Sacramento State, 12 p.m.
Toledo, 12:30 p.m.

While there are prospects who will be available through all rounds of the draft participating, results for these three players should be of major interest to Dallas.

Alabama EDGE, Christian Miller

usatsi_11725512.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Miller would fit in nicely with the Cowboys’ end rotation. His ability to stop the run and rush the passer, especially with his limited playing time, shows just what his upside can be. With Randy Gregory’s future in question and DeMarcus Lawrence’s contract situation, EDGE has become a definitive need once again.

From Draft Network’s Jon Ledyard:

Mental Processing/Vision – Smart player who processes information well for someone with very little playing time under his belt. Reads pass sets well and attacks opponents’ hands. Always working a plan of attack. Good gap discipline in the run game and finds the football quickly to get in pursuit.​

Rush Moves – Pretty strong array of pass rush moves. Loves the cross-chop and will even incorporated a leaping cross-chop into his repertoire. Slows a pass rusher down some, but makes it harder for a tackle to land his punch and adds some force to the cross chop. Long arm/stab move is consistently well-placed and has some punch behind it for a slow-burn wins. Have seen him utilize push-pulls on smaller blockers with good success. Good job varying speeds up the arc with stutter steps to get a step on his opponent to corner.​

Louisiana Tech EDGE, Jaylon Ferguson

usatsi_11891836.jpg

Steven Erler-USA TODAY Sports

A former teammate of current Cowboys safety Xavier Woods, Ferguson recently had his NFL Combine invite rescinded due to a misdemeanor which occurred before he started playing football. Statistically, he is the record holder for the most sacks in FBS history with 45, after nabbing 17.5 during the 2018 season. He’ll now have the opportunity to prove scouts wrong as one of the biggest knocks on him has been his bend and mobility. He would complement Lawrence well and would give a big push to the run stopping ability at both end positions.

From The Draft Network:

Hand Usage – This is where he makes his money. Terrific speed-to-power conversion with low pad level and hands inside. Strong, physical player he utilizes long arms and cross chops at the top of the arc to beat tackles’ hands. Push-pull and snatch is his signature move. Tossed around LSU’s right tackle like he was a D-III kid.​

Run Defense – Stud at the point-of-attack. Doesn’t get knocked back and uses his hands well to keep blockers out of his frame with full arm extension. Sets a strong edge and plays assignment sound at all times. Steps down with perfect pace in unblocked situations. Lacks the range and athleticism to make a lot of plays away from his gap. Plays with good leverage despite his height to anchor and shed without giving ground.​

Penn State CB, Amani Oruwariye

usatsi_11176040.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports

Oruwariye met with the Cowboys at the combine and his size lends some insight as to why: he has he build Kris Richard likes to work with. A very physical corner, he is comfortable playing both man and zone coverage.

Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye said he met with the Cowboys at the combine. "I can do it all to be honest w/ you. I'm [comfortable in man & zone coverage]. If I'm playing man, I'm going to lock my guy down. If I'm in zone, I'm going to keep my eye discipline and just make plays."

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) March 4, 2019

With the Cowboys having to sign many of their own to large contracts in the coming months and year, some believe Byron Jones could be the odd man out after a Pro Bowl season in 2018. Could Oruwariye be a solid replacement along side Chidobe Awuzie?

Amani Oruwariye with a crazy interception. pic.twitter.com/RtUpz4s9ji

— The Daily Collegian (@DailyCollegian) November 4, 2017

Gallery

Cowboys 7-round Mock Draft: March 15, 2019

Continue reading...