News: USAToday: 5 reasons Jerry Jones may have tried to lure Adam Silver from NBA to NFL

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 reasons Jerry Jones may have tried to lure Adam Silver from NBA to NFL

adam-silver.jpg

It is safe to say that Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones is not too fond of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. The relationship between Jones and Goodell turned toxic, prompting Jones to lobby a...

Read Full Story

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two things I would like to know:

1. Who are the alleged 'some owners' seeking to recruit Silver? It would be really interesting (understatement) if Kraft's name was listed in that group.
  2. How would Silver address the current CBA's wide discretionary powers bestowed upon the NFL Commissioner? And how would Silver hypothetically change future CBA language (with NFLPA acceptance) of his new office's disciplinary oversight of players?
Well. That is three questions. :rolleyes::p

The Natural

Reaction score
Lol @ Silver leaving the best league in american sports to be Jerruh’s lapdog.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We came as close as we’ll probably come in 2017 with the commissioner and majority owners moving to force Jerry out.

Goodell stood his ground forcing Jerry to back off and has gained my respect.

Roger has ruled over the most controversial and contentious era in the NFL. History will reflect more favorably on him than current emotions.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Lol @ Silver leaving the best league in american sports to be Jerruh’s lapdog.

The “best” league?

The NFL makes twice as much revenue as the NBA. NFL teams are worth 52% more on average than NBA teams.

And even though NFL viewership is declining, a nationally televised NFL game is watched by 10-15 times more people than a nationally televised NBA game.

Just to make you look even more dumb with that statement I’ll throw out the best stat. The Super Bowl makes twice as much money as the entire NBA playoffs which has countless games.

Care to retract that statement? The NBA is child’s play compared to the NFL.

cowboyec

Reaction score
too bad he wasn't successful.
goodell is a swamp-ratt of the highest order and a total disgrace to the Legacy of Pete Rozelle.
hopefully next time....they get back to electing football people to that office.

The Natural

Reaction score
The “best” league?

The NFL makes twice as much revenue as the NBA. NFL teams are worth 52% more on average than NBA teams.

And even though NFL viewership is declining, a nationally televised NFL game is watched by 10-15 times more people than a nationally televised NBA game.

Just to make you look even more dumb with that statement I’ll throw out the best stat. The Super Bowl makes twice as much money as the entire NBA playoffs which has countless games.

Care to retract that statement? The NBA is child’s play compared to the NFL.
Let me know the next time you see the NBA railroad one of its young star players.

ShortRound

Reaction score
NFL in terms of money is much bigger.

https://www.wsn.com/nfl/nfl-vs-nba

Last season, the NFL made $14 billion in total revenue, which was over $900 million more than they made the season before and a $6 billion increase from 2010.

The NBA, on the other hand, made $7.4 billion in revenue last season, up 25% from the prior season when they made a total of $5.94 billion.

NFL teams average more revenue, as well.

NFL sponsorship revenue reached $1.32 billion in the 2017-18 season, with beer, trucks and fast food being among the largest spenders.

NBA sponsorship revenue was $1.12 billion in the 2017-18 season, with insurance, fast food restaurants and medical retail being among the largest spenders. Beer, surprisingly, slipped down two slots to become the seventh biggest NBA sponsor.

Which makes more money – the Super Bowl or the NBA Playoffs?
This one isn’t even close.

The Super Bowl actually brings in more revenue than both the NBA Playoffs and the MLB Playoffs combined.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You mean the best league that virtually nobody watches?

Their national regular season ratings are PBS worthy.

Yep.

The NBA cut their own throat with the super-team thing. It means that your local team is never going to be seriously competitive unless you happen to live in the Bay Area, the regular season is just a prelude to another Lebron-Warriors finals, and the only question is how many games will it take for the Warriors to beat Lebron's overmatched squad. There is zero reason to watch pro basketball until the playoffs start, and not that much of a reason to watch the playoffs either.

Which is why I believe the NFL's focus on parity is ultimately good for the sport. People on here sometimes complain because as the most popular and deep-pocketed NFL club, Dallas arguably has the most to lose from the salary cap and revenue splitting. But having 32 teams with a real chance to win every Sunday (almost no NFL game goes beyond one score in the Vegas spread), and having even a terrible team potentially be no more than 2 years away from relevance (Rams, Browns, etc) creates a better product, one where there is a reason to care about what happens before the finals.

erod

Reaction score
Yep.

The NBA cut their own throat with the super-team thing. It means that your local team is never going to be seriously competitive unless you happen to live in the Bay Area, the regular season is just a prelude to another Lebron-Warriors finals, and the only question is how many games will it take for the Warriors to beat Lebron's overmatched squad. There is zero reason to watch pro basketball until the playoffs start, and not that much of a reason to watch the playoffs either.

Which is why I believe the NFL's focus on parity is ultimately good for the sport. People on here sometimes complain because as the most popular and deep-pocketed NFL club, Dallas arguably has the most to lose from the salary cap and revenue splitting. But having 32 teams with a real chance to win every Sunday (almost no NFL game goes beyond one score in the Vegas spread), and having even a terrible team potentially be no more than 2 years away from relevance (Rams, Browns, etc) creates a better product, one where there is a reason to care about what happens before the finals.

The only thing about the NBA that I wish the NFL would adopt is some sort of "Larry Bird rights" clause for re-signing players that a team drafted when their initial deal is up.

Something like, only 75% of their salary counts against the cap when they re-sign them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'NBA is the best league' has turned into a Southwest Airlines 'Wanna Get Away?' commercial, lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two things I would like to know:

1. Who are the alleged 'some owners' seeking to recruit Silver? It would be really interesting (understatement) if Kraft's name was listed in that group.
  2. How would Silver address the current CBA's wide discretionary powers bestowed upon the NFL Commissioner? And how would Silver hypothetically change future CBA language (with NFLPA acceptance) of his new office's disciplinary oversight of players?
Well. That is three questions. :rolleyes::p

The article is by KD Dummy. He posted here years ago.

He took a vague rumor about the NBA commissioner and made it into a story by making up his own reasons it was Jerry.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
We came as close as we’ll probably come in 2017 with the commissioner and majority owners moving to force Jerry out.

Goodell stood his ground forcing Jerry to back off and has gained my respect.

Roger has ruled over the most controversial and contentious era in the NFL. History will reflect more favorably on him than current emotions.

I respect your opinion on this and your willingness on more than one occasion to take a less than popular position. But I think Goodell, with a big assist from owners looking to him to absorb bad publicity, has made his own bed. At the start of his tenure, he chose to be, more or less, the New Sheriff in Town, and was framed as a fair-minded disciplinarian. I think he has the right instincts, in this area, but has let himself be swayed by special interests and his personal desire to be popular with many of those interests. In some cases, he has ceded responsibility and hidden behind recommendations made by people who have inherent biases. Worse, he has been wildly inconsistent in enforcing and justifying disciplinary measures.

Under Goodell's leadership -- and in part because he hasn't used his bully pulpit adequately or at all, in some cases, the league has seen trust in its on-field officiating erode and appears to have allowed the quality of its officials decline. This is a major failure. The league hasn't been proactive in instituting measures to build trust. While it is true, fans will always question individual calls and officiating crews, the NFL has provided its critics plenty of ammo in the form of unclear and sometimes counter-intuitive rules interpretations (What is a catch?). The league has been inconsistent in communicating and explaining failure -- such as in the case of the missed PI that allowed the Rams to beat the Saints.

Goodell has been indecisive, at times, and the league has paid the price. Controversies have festered and finally exploded because he didn't take a strong, decisive position at the outset. Other times he has been remarkably stubborn and unwilling to bend in the face of new information or incomplete investigation.

Goodell has benefited from the league's massive popularity, something he didn't create. He has also benefited from the changed nature of television and the value such evolution has placed on sports programming content. Even with its warts, the NFL is the most valuable television property. But Goodell has been responsible for allowing or even prompting the development of some of those warts.

None of this is to suggest that Goodell has done nothing of value or to imply that he has had no hand in furthering the league's interests. But his position pays a staggering salary. One would expect him to be so utterly qualified and so consistently excellent that such salary is earned. He is not a $1 million/year employee. He is paid to be one of the most effective executives in the global business world. Virtually every league season has begun, in recent years, under some type of controversy and/or cloud. Not all of that is Goodell's doing, but he has played a role. Regardless, he is paid to minimize such distractions and to solve such issues before they become national controversies.

Goodell's job is tough. It is very tough. But his compensation reflects that toughness, and he should be judged by excellence. He has fallen well short of excellence.

The fact owners with their own individual interests in mind have decided not to punish Goodell's failures makes them no less relevant. In defeat, actually, I admired Jerry Jones' efforts more than I have on occasions when he has been an apparent victor. I don't see a "win" over Jones as vindication for Goodell's failure.