News: USAToday: Amari, Jaylon have memorable moments in Pro Bowl overshadowed by Bryants tragedy

NewsBot

Reaction score
The actual Pro Bowl game has long been a glorified walkthrough for the players involved, with little in the way of noteworthy on-the-field football action.

It’s about the honor of being selected, it’s a celebration of a well-played season, it’s a photo op that allows opponents from different teams to hook up for a few hours of unorthodox player combinations. It’s supposed to be fun… but despite a few bright moments for the Cowboys in attendance, the 2020 Pro Bowl was a thoroughly somber affair overshadowed by the tragic news of the day.

Word that NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna were among 9 killed in a California helicopter accident hit the players shortly before Sunday’s kickoff in Orlando. It made for a surreal scene as Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson reportedly huddled the NFC team in prayer and players sought details on the developing story from media members. Player introductions were subdued, to say the least.

Live from three #ProBowl the players are crushed nobody ran out nobody has energy RIP Kobe Bryant sick to my stomach pic.twitter.com/ge1d9I4820

— Eric Feldman (@Felddman) January 26, 2020

Fans were also getting the news, and they soon took part in a mass tribute at Camping World Stadium during the AFC’s 38-33 victory.

Stunned sports fans chanted ‘Kobe! Kobe!’ during Sunday’s NFL Pro Bowl game as news of NBA legend Kobe Bryant's death was announced. https://t.co/chipNOYz03 pic.twitter.com/SGeJUA7AXW

— ABC News (@ABC) January 27, 2020

The game often had a bizarre feel to it, even more disjointed than the typical All-Star affair. Cowboys fans did get to see wide receiver Amari Cooper haul in a six-yard touchdown strike from Wilson in the second quarter. Cooper ended the day with three catches for 24 yards.

Running back Ezekiel Elliott rushed just once for 4 yards. He did catch both balls thrown his way for another 15 yards. Oddly enough, Elliott also threw an interception after his jump pass to Cooper on a halfback option was picked off by Steelers defensive back Joe Haden.

Linebacker Jaylon Smith was involved in twelve tackles, leading all Pro Bowlers on the day. Smith was on the field for several of the player tributes to Bryant, including a group fadeaway jump shot organized by Packers linebacker Za’Darius Smith.

The NFC defense paid tribute to Kobe Bryant at the Pro Bowl yesterday.

(via @NFL) pic.twitter.com/5Esr6JT1MO

— NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) January 27, 2020

It was one of many moments before, during, and after the game that honored the 41-year old Lakers legend, whose 13-year-old daughter Gianna was also among those lost in the accident.

Many in the Cowboys family took to social media to share their thoughts on the tragedy.

I cannot comprehend today.

— Jourdan Lewis (@JourdanJD) January 26, 2020

RIP Kobe. #Mamba4Ever pic.twitter.com/CuzaqMvd3a

— Tyrone Crawford
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
(@TCrawford98) January 27, 2020

This one is just different! Won’t ever be the same, you changed how people view the game and for that you will always be an idol #RIP Kobe #MambaMentality

— Michael Gallup (@michael13gallup) January 26, 2020

Came in as the next Jordan. Left as the one & only @kobebryant . The you for blessing us with the Mamba mentally. The mentality to conquer everything. Not just on the court. Community, business, family & basketball. Forever the mamba mentally will live in me & through me. RIP
1f64f-1f3ff.png
pic.twitter.com/xfKex9X5qA

— DeMarcus Lawrence (@TankLawrence) January 26, 2020

R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. A great, a legend, someone to truly idolize. My condolences go out to his family and to the families of those who lost their lives as well.

— Tavon Austin (@Tayaustin01) January 26, 2020

Rip Kobe and GiGi and the rest of the families that lost their lives yesterday
1f622.png
1f64f-1f3fe.png
blessings be to God~

— Jaylon Smith (@thejaylonsmith) January 27, 2020

You both will be remembered forever. Pat and I send our love and prayers to Vanessa and the Bryant family. pic.twitter.com/Q1Lb4exKli

— Emmitt Smith (@EmmittSmith22) January 27, 2020

I squeezed both my sons & wife extra tight tonight. I hate that it takes events like today to remind us to SHOW & TELL our loved ones how much we love them… don’t wait until it’s too late.

— Randall Cobb (@rcobb18) January 27, 2020

The Dallas Cowboys join the rest of our world of sport in mourning the loss of Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and all of the lives lost today. Sending our deepest sympathies to their families and friends. pic.twitter.com/S7xdiPbTSo

— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) January 27, 2020

Continue reading...