News: USAToday: BPAPN Draft Strategy: How Cowboys can ultimately be successful

NewsBot

Reaction score
While there is still time to make a few additions to the roster, it’s pretty apparent where the Cowboys stand at this point in the 2021 offseason. Dallas has done was Dallas does, and that’s use free agency to plug toilet paper into the leaks on their boat in hopes they can make it to shore. That did not work in 2020 when their free agent additions were not very helpful and the injury bug ravaged them at two of their three most stocked position groups.

Quarterback and offensive line were decimated while wide receiver remained healthy. Those players shined despite their dependence on the other two. What’s notably absent is that the Cowboys aren’t strong at any of the defensive position groups and that is once again the case following the veteran additions they made over the month of March.

BPAPN is a term I coined way back when I first started covering the Cowboys. The earliest I can find is this reference from April 2011’s draft, the first draft I covered. It’s the concept I believe smart teams operate from and marries what are seen as two conflicting draft policies. Take the Best Player Available, among the team’s Positions of Need. But how does it actually work?

Continue reading...